Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I was listening to the radio last week in the car & there was ex Dire Straits guitarist 'John Illsley' talking about the music he likes & he mentioned J.J Cale & especially the track 'I Got The Same Old Blues' I thought it sounded amazing & this week bought the album 'Okie' - Though why I've never heard this guy (who is no longer with us) before I have no idea, but are there other albums anyone would recommend for purchase - There is some great music on 'Okie' & I’m already hooked - Any suggestions?

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Any of the really early albums, Troubadour is the one that brought him to my attention. I then went backwards, bought all those, then forwards, up to Travellog. I have them all, but if you want some that are stone dead certs, I would buy Naturally, Troubadour, Shades, Travelog, Really and Special edition. There are others quite a bit of later stuff, live stuff, compilations and best ofs.

There is another guy I would recommend if you feel like taking a punt. A guy called Bill Morrisey, the album is called North, Some of his stuff is on utube, but none from North.

Apart from this:

Ok this new site won't let me post the link so if you put Bill Morrisey - It's Dangerous out there. The quality is terrible, but you'll get an idea of what he's about. You may not like it at all, obviously.

Anyway enjoy your JJ Cale

Roundhed

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that! I've just ordered a set with 5 albums in it for under £15 with #8' (1983), 'Shades' (1981), 'Naturally' (1972), 'Troubadour' (1976) and 'Grasshopper' (1982), only in cardboard sleves but they will be ripped anyway - I'll look for the others you mentioned too - Played Okie about ten times already - And thanks for the info on Bill Morrisey - *crazy*

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Neptune_Twilight said:
Thanks for that! I've just ordered a set with 5 albums in it for under £15 with #8' (1983), 'Shades' (1981), 'Naturally' (1972), 'Troubadour' (1976) and 'Grasshopper' (1982), only in cardboard sleves but they will be ripped anyway - I'll look for the others you mentioned too - Played Okie about ten times already - And thanks for the info on Bill Morrisey - *crazy*

Absolutely no problem, you are in for a treat.

One more album I might recccomend is 'Shady Gove' by Gove Scrivenor. I don't use vinyl anymore but managed to find it re- issued on cd, but again I can't paste the link here so if you google it, the first link should be to the ALL MUSIC page where you can sample the tracks. Listen to 'Cocaine blues' or 'If your man gets busted' to get an idea. It's a cracking album, not so bluesy as Cale, but great none the less.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a few JJ Cale cd's .... if you don't have one yet, this is a must have:

51Rx4ZiRX8L.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts