ITV1 HD fail!

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Ok, so this is a pretty minor complaint, but does it bug anyone else just a little bit when ITV keep advertising all its programs as being on 'ITV1 and ITV1 HD', when only a handful of them are actually broadcast in HD?

Sky have always gotten this right - they have the sense not to mention HD when advertising programmes that won't be shown in such quality, and they even temporarily change the channel logo on its HD channels when the programme being shown isn't native HD (so Sky1 HD becomes plain old Sky1 when old Simpsons re-runs are on, for instance).

ITV, on the other hand, don't seem to care either way. I just saw an advert for Corrie on 'ITV1 and ITV1 HD'. Now we all know that few HD channels show exclusively HD content (especially simulcasts, like ITV1 HD), but it seems like common sense to me that you don't mention the HD channel when advertising programmes which won't actually be in HD!

It is exactly this kind of misleading advertising that leads the common viewer to believe that there is no difference at all between SD and HDTV (and I'm sure we've all met at least a few such people).

Big deal? No. Still annoying? Definitely.

daveh75

Yes it's annoying,or at least it would be if i still watched ITV.

Added to that,when they first launched the ITV1 HD simulcast service, all programmes on the Freesat EPG were tagged as being HD and more recently got slapped wrists from the regulator for labeling upscaled SD material as "Remastered HD".

Not sure if either of the above are still the case though,as i've completely removed all the ITV channels from my EPG as they dont show any programming that appeals to any of us in my household...

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Liam,

Corrie will actually be in HD from May 31st so ITV are correct in advertising it as such. What is annoying is ITV showing movies on the HD channel in 1:1.77 full frame rather than their original 1:2.35 ratio. At least CH4 show their HD movies in the correct ratio (although in the case of Sum of all Fears the other evening, they transmitted the music and effects mix throughout the whole film so no dialogue.).

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts