ITV HD - first impressions

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, i've got the Humax Freesat HD box up and running at home, and Holland v Italy on the screen, via ITV HD.

And it's a big, big improvement over standard ITV - for picture and sound (though the latter is stereo only). I'm almost tempted to buy a box to round out my HD coverage, if Sky can't get ITV HD for some time....

However, the Humax box can't match the Sky HD box for BBC HD - there's a touch more digital noise, and generally proceedings aren't as pin-sharp.

More official musings to follow!

A

Anonymous

Did you have to press the red button then?

Well I would not get Freesat HD simply due to ITV' s strange commercial wisdom to make its Interactive HD Player (this would be a more suitable name rather than saying channel) exclusive to Freesat HD boxes so that their boxes can have a viable selling point. Sounds like the old ITV Digital saga. It is a joke.

It will be available to SKY HD boxes sooner or later and most probably after Euro 2008.

Regards

P

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, red-button-pressing was involved. I didn't check last night - but will do as my test progresses - if they're serving different adverts on the HD 'channel' to regular ITV. I only wonder because there seemed to be a large amount of filmed-in-HD adverts.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]if they're serving different adverts on the HD 'channel' to regular ITV. I only
wonder because there seemed to be a large amount of filmed-in-HD adverts.
[/quote]Adverts in HD? what is the point in that? Are you sure they simply were not just upscaled their end Clare? I have noticed that every things on the HD channels on Sky is transmitted at 1080i but the TRUE HD content also has HD in the info box, Yet to notice anyone transmitting at 720P.

John Duncan

Yes, the adverts are different - it's not regional for starters, and the airtime has to be sold separately, since it has fewer viewers. I doubt if they're being created in HD deliberately - a lot have been done in HD in the first place for a while (generalising).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, indeed - if you're someone like Ford or a big beer company (the Kronenbourg ad was one HD one that sticks in my head!) you're probably filming your big-budget commercials to be used globally (or at least potentially globally), so you know you've got HD TV audiences to please. Oh, and cinema audiences as well, of course
emotion-2.gif

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Well, indeed - if you're someone like Ford or a big beer company (the Kronenbourg ad was one HD one that sticks in my head!) you're probably filming your big-budget commercials to be used globally (or at least potentially globally), so you know you've got HD TV audiences to please. Oh, and cinema audiences as well, of course
emotion-2.gif

[/quote] I had not thought of that. I supose HD is not soo unusal now accross the board, even My new Camcorder is 1080P which would have been un-thinkible only a couple of years ago.

John Duncan

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]I had not thought of that. I supose HD is not soo unusal now accross the board,
even My new Camcorder is 1080P which would have been un-thinkible only a couple
of years ago.[/quote]

Film is an HD medium.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="D.J.KRIME"]the TRUE HD content also has HD in the info box, [/quote]

There are those - mainly TV marketeers - who'll have you believe only 1080p is 'True HD'.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="D.J.KRIME"]I had not thought of that. I supose HD is not soo unusal now accross the board,
even My new Camcorder is 1080P which would have been un-thinkible only a couple
of years ago.[/quote]

Film is an HD medium.[/quote]

Hence my cinema comment
emotion-4.gif

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Which he didn't appear to get
emotion-4.gif
emotion-5.gif

(Sorry, can't stick out tongue and wink at the same time. As it were.)

[/quote]

EDITED BY MODS: Please do not insult other forum members. First warning.

My point was about the adverts as doubt the too many companys actually use Film to shoot their ads rather than Video. Sure maybe Huge Multi-National companys do for ads used Worldwide, but I doubt the majority do.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Which he didn't appear to get
emotion-4.gif
emotion-5.gif

[/quote] No John I am so thick I dont actually know that Film is a HD medium and that you are such a smart A### who knows every thing about every thing! My point was about the adverts as doubt the too many companys actually use Film to shoot their ads rather than Video. Sure maybe Huge Multi-National companys do for ads used Worldwide, but I doubt the majority do.

John Duncan

[quote user="D.J.KRIME"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]Which he didn't appear to get
emotion-4.gif
emotion-5.gif

[/quote] No John I am so thick I dont actually know that Film is a HD medium and that you are such a smart A### who knows every thing about every thing!

My point was about the adverts as doubt the too many companys actually use Film to shoot their ads rather than Video. Sure maybe Huge Multi-National companys do for ads used Worldwide, but I doubt the majority do.
[/quote]

Sorry, just a good-natured ribbing. My point was that you'd be surprised how much is filmed rather than videoed (sp?).

A

Anonymous

....... the Humax box can't match the Sky HD box for BBC HD - there's a touch more digital noise, and generally proceedings aren't as pin-sharp.

More official musings to follow!

[/quote]

Hi Clare

As someone who's about to have FREESAT installed at 10am this morning by my local independent satellite provider , what size DISH and type of LNB are you watching with?

A friend of mine converted to the HUMAX FOXSAT a few days ago and he was quite impressed by the quality of picture on both the BBC and ITV HD channels.....See that Channel 4's gone HD so hope this will be on FREESAT too at some point if not already

I've read enough Hi Fi and Sound & Vision mags to fully appreciate that 'sources' are very important based on the premise of 'rubbish in....rubbish out' which is why, I believe in the context of any satellite set up, that it's also vital that people should have a suitable size minimum 60cm DISH and a good quality LNB and cable

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Channel 4 HD not on Freesat yet - there's an exclusive deal with Sky at the moment (believe that runs out in October).

Re my dish - Sky dish with twin LNB, fitted in October 2006 when I had Sky HD installed. We enjoy very good to excellent signal strength, too, which helps.

Oh, and Tallyho, in case you haven't spotted it, there's a message for you here. If you want to answer it, hit the Contact Us email below and drop me a line.

A

Anonymous

Channel 4 HD not on Freesat yet - there's an exclusive deal with Sky at the moment (believe that runs out in October).

Re my dish - Sky dish with twin LNB, fitted in October 2006 when I had Sky HD installed. We enjoy very good to excellent signal strength, too, which hel****.

Oh, and Tallyho, in case you haven't spotted it, there's a message for you here. If you want to answer it, hit the Contact Us email below and drop me a line.

[/quote]

Thanks Claire-Still in two minds about the ES7001 or to retain my Monitor Audio BR2's and just go for the award winning SONY STR AV amp of a year /18months ago and just use initially as a 2.1 system to which I can always add later a Centre Speaker if I wish-The Marantz is £700 at the moment and I wouldn't be able to keep my BR2's too if I decided to go for something like the ES7001 because of space. I'd hate to waste a dealer's time in listening to it but then not actually deciding to part with almost £700 even I did come out of the shop knowing it was indeed a great one box solution

I've just had the FREESAT HUMAX installed-so quick it was too-and given my old Amstrad Digibox was 7 years the standard definition picture quality produced by the HUMAX is actually pretty good. BBC HD needless to say also looks great so I will be seeing some football later on. Waiting to watch ITV HD too when the red light comes on a little later today

BBC 3 and 4 aren't on yet too as there's a message that says This Channel is either srambled or is not yet available so I guess when they are transmitting a little later on I will be able to view them.

Can't also see SKY NEWS on there either yet though have been advised to manually tune additiional channels in which I am trying to find out how to do right now. I am told that any additional FREE channels not on FREESAT proper can be found in this way by searching via the various transponder options

I musn't knock SKY after all I've had it for 7 years but can no no longer justify £38 a month besides which I very rarely now watch premiership games or indeed any of the sports on the relevant premium channels

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts