iTunes Match has gone live, taking a punt...

Paul.

iTunes Match has gone live internationaly now, its running now. Not sure how much I will use it, but I do have 15-20gb of non essesntial music ripped in to 128kbps AAC from my first iPod that I could never be bothered to re-rip, so that time and effort for me is worth the £21. Will report back how it goes...

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Me too. When I activated match on my iPhone it deleted all my music from the device :?

Does anyone know a quick way of deleting any songs that are less than 256kbps? Smart playlists dont let you delete.

duncansbby

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Itunes match now complete. Have deleted a couple of albums I ripped years ago and downloaded from cloud at 256, which worked a treat.

Switched on itunes match on iphone, but not sure what to do next. Can listen to any album on wifi or 3G, but not sure how much data it uses on 3G.

Any tips welcome

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I have subscribed to iTunes Match too, but songs purchased recently on my iPad have disappeared. Do I have to "download" them again to play them?

Edit: worked out where they are now. I clicked on shared and they were in the iPad section.

nads

Mmmmm so can someone explain, re the rips that are less than 256. Does it replace it on the PC or .... How do you replace them with 256 version?

As this is the only reason I am interested.

Ta.

Paul.

Haven't tried this myself yet, but this should work...

http://macdailynews.com/2011/11/15/how-to-replace-low-bit-rate-tracks-with-higher-quality-tracks-from-itunes-match/

Paul.

One thing I have noticed is the iPhone music app isnt smart enought to skip to a local track when the signal drops out. Was driving down some wiggly roads today relying on the iPhone for sat nav (using navfree), and the music app just stopped when I left the main roads. I cant exit my satnav app without it stopping, so had no music untill I could stop some where.

I noticed my fuel economy drops noticeably on country roads with no music... must be the boredom :p

nads

well it seems that I have about 1k of tracks less than 256 and it would also mean I could have access to all my iTunes music without taking the NAS or PC to the rents over Xmas...... Already taking one NAS with movies on it over to keep the kids happy.

21 squid might be cheap.

nads

well I have had to change my itunes store to the UK but it is now gathering the info.

what it like about this idea is that I can, I believe, access all my music from any country, no need to drag a PC and NAS over to the UK.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
nads said:
well I have had to change my itunes store to the UK but it is now gathering the info.

what it like about this idea is that I can, I believe, access all my music from any country, no need to drag a PC and NAS over to the UK.

But if you didn't have free wifi it would cost you a fortune???

You can get 1TB portable drives that fit in your shirt pocket.

nads

tino said:
nads said:

But if you didn't have free wifi it would cost you a fortune???

You can get 1TB portable drives that fit in your shirt pocket.

and?

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I've had my PC on for 2 days with iTunes going through the stages of 'matching'! I've only got about 70GB music too!! I've had to do it a couple of times too, as it didn't pick up all the tracks first time (for whatever reason). Takes agest to do step 3 too.

I think it's a brilliant idea. You can access your music on the go, and most places/people these days have wifi you can tap into, so not really costing you cash.

Example - at New Year I'll be round my brother-in-laws. I'll be testing the 'cloud' then to see if it pulls my music seemlessly! No doubt annoying the hell out of him with my taste at the same time! Win/Win!!

Happy Christmas all! :cheers:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
I dont see the point - You can wirelessly stream your songs from home for free using Audiogalaxy and in high quality.

For one, this little bit of text (which for some completely unknown reason is much smaller than everything else on the site):

"Important: Install Audiogalaxy on only one computer and be sure to leave that computer turned on, and not in sleep or hibernate mode."

So in order to use it, your PC / Mac has to be permenantly switched on i.e. it's not actually cloud based. Not ideal.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
No need to have your pc on all the time - you just remote wakeup when you need to play.

I dont see the point in cloud storage in general. Currently storage on phones is a little limited - but microSDXC cards are already up to 128GB, and in the next few months 256/512GB varieties will be out.

You cant beat physically having your data with you.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
No need to have your pc on all the time - you just remote wakeup when you need to play.

So you've answered your question right there - iCloud is for people who want to have access to all their music on the go, but don't want to have to leave their PC on all the time, or deal with the likes of MAC addresses, WOL settings, packet forwarders, firewall settings and any number of other matters you might need to look into to get remote wakeup working on the average home setup.

AnotherJoe said:
I dont see the point in cloud storage in general. Currently storage on phones is a little limited - but microSDXC cards are already up to 128GB, and in the next few months 256/512GB varieties will be out.

You cant beat physically having your data with you.

Perhaps, but cloud vs local storage is a different argument. Like you, I prefer to have music on me rather than rely on a wireless signal to get at it, but if you have a huge music collection and do often think "ah, I wish had that tune on me", I can definitely see the attraction of the simplicity of iCloud to allow that for you. For not really a great deal of money either - given a 128 GB SDXC card currently retails around the £150 - £200 mark and 64 GB comes out over £50, £21.99 a year sounds like a very good deal to me.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Totally agree with the Professor!

The main gripe I've had always with iTunes is that you can't access all the musics from all your devices with your computer OFF. Now you can. It's the missing link.

Audiogalaxy does look good, granted, but the point made that you have to have the computer on is fundamentally flawed. It's no better than iTunes???

As for cloud. I think you are in the minority there. 'Clouds' are the way forward for so many technology companies. Everything is being geared to having your information (music/films/documents) stored remotely so you can access them wherever you are, with whatever electronic device you have with you.

Personally, I think that's pretty clever. I don't want to carry around storage discs, no matter how small/light they may be.

A

Anonymous

Signed up to iTunes match this weekend, has taken about 48hrs for the whole proccess to complete (Matching, uploading, and than re-downloading all my music that was lower than 256kbp). It's a pain to go through but the end result is great. I don't have to worry about my music collection if for any reason should my laptop, desktop, and 2 backup hard drives all fail at the same time....I have access to all my music on my iphone without having to "sync"(and now have very little reason to ever plug it into my computer) and I got to "upgrade" half my music collection to a higher quality version all for the price of a few DVDs!!

Personally I love what Apple is trying to do with iCloud. I have an iPhone, MacPro, and Macbook Pro. I use to hate updating my calender/address book for each device in turn, and than having to worry about syncing up multiple iTunes libraries and now its all taken care of.....now we just need to wait for broadband to get a bit faster so that I can do the same with my photolibrary :grin:

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I am thinking of subscribing to iTunes match (don't know why it has taken so long), but just have a couple of questions? Do I need to buy more than the 5GB of cloud storage that Apple give you free? Or does itunes match just give you access to however much storage you need (up to 25k song limit)?

Also, I'm guessing it doesn't work on the Apple TV 1st gen?

Paul.

Hi,

Music Match does not count towards your free 5gb iCloud, so don't worry about that. You are correct in that Match gives you up to 25k songs, so you shouldn't have to worry about buying more storage (unless you have a mahoosive cd collection). I don't think Match works with the first gen Apple TV as it is not an iOS device.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Great, thanks for that. It is exactly what I thought. My music collection definitely isn't more than 25k songs (yet!). I'll just have to invest in a new ATV when it's released. I was only keeping my old ATV because I liked being able to access my music without having to have my computer on.

A

Anonymous

I have a question, I hope it's not too stupid..

I'm in need of a new laptop and have started to consider the macbook air or an ultrabook. But what puts me off is the smaller hard drives. I'd like to store all my music for synching with my ipod classic and for constantly changing the music on my ipod shuffle. So if I got, say, a macbook air and subscribed to itunes match would my music all be cloud based therefore freeing up the computers hard drive?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts