Musical tastes from cradle to grave (and inbetween).

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, dificult to resist an opportunity to rant about music tastes so here goes. Hopefully I've got the timescales about right!

5-10: anything kicking around the house: ELO, Queen, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Elvis, Bowie, Steeleye Span, Slade, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Carpenters

10-12: all of the above, plus stuff influenced by older sister, and anything else picked up on radio/tv: Echo & Bunnymen, Virgin Prunes, Xmal Deutschland, Bauhaus, the Cramps, the Smiths, OMD, Teardrop Explodes, Talking Heads, Buzzcocks, Psychedelic Furs, Public Image Ltd, Death Cult, Specials

12-15: all of the above, plus finding stuff with kids at school: Rudimentary Peni, Crass, Conflict, Hagar the Womb, Flux of Pink Indians, Jesus & Mary Chain, Joy Division, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Discharge, Motorhead

15-18: all of the above, plus more punk, getting into metal and grunge: Napalm Death, Heresy, Extreme Noise Terror, Bolt Thrower, Joyce McKinney Experience, Slayer, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Big Black, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Bad Brains, Husker Du, Walking Seeds, Prong

18-21: all of the above, plus massive exploration of all sorts at uni: Can, Neu!, Faust, John Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp, Sun Ra, Half Japanese, Bongwater, Shockabilly, Incredible String Band, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Chrome/Helios Creed, Butthole Surfers, Minutemen/Firehose, Velvet Underground, Coil, Nurse with Wound, Jad Fair, Killdozer, Hawkwind, Daniel Johnston, Funkadelic, Sepultura, Henry Cow, Monster Magnet, Cluster, Harmonia, Throbbing Gristle, Gwar, Meat Puppets, Beefheart, Yo La Tengo, Melvins, Fall, Scratch Acid, Tom Waits, Diamanda Galas, Stooges, 13th Floor Elevators, Stooges, Love, Byrds

21-25: all of the above, plus starting to get into electronic music and anything else that takes my fancy: Autechre, Aphex Twin, Drexciya, acid/techno labels (Rising High, Harthouse, Labworks, Warp, Important, D-Jax, Edge), gabba labels (Mokum, Ruffneck), Guided By Voices, Thinking Fellers Union 282, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Royal Trux

25-30: all of the above, plus noise, Japanese mayhem, more metal, new discoveries of old nuggets: Skullflower, Total, Merzbow, Incapacitants, Boredoms, High Rise, Musica Transonic, Keiji Haino, Fushitsusha, Ruins, Optical 8, Melt Banana, Pig Destroyer, Chimaira, Wire, Magazine, Suicide, Acid Mothers Temple, Stereolab, Mission of Burma, Nick Cave/Bad Seeds

30-35: all of the above, plus dub, easy listening, assorted oddities, mad electronica, Americana: African Head Charge, Mad Professor, Dub Syndicate, Creation Rebel, Lee "Scratch" Perry, Scott Walker, CrippledDick Hot Wax label, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Engelbert Humperdinck, Roger Whittaker, Kenny Rogers, Serge Gainsbourg, Jacques Brel, Os Mutantes, Kid 606, Venetian Snares, Mouse on Mars, Vibracathedral Orchestra, Smog, Palace Music, Cat Power, Calexico, Neutral Milk Hotel, Manitoba/Caribou, Joanna Newsom, Matmos, Soft Pink Truth, Blectum from Blechdom, Spiritualised

35-now: all of the above, plus anything at all really: Mastodon, Burnt Friedman, Sly & Family Stone, Otto Von Schirach, Four Tet, Astral Social Club, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Queens of the Stone Age, Lightning Bolt, Deerhoof, Gas, anything Klezmer/Gypsy/Balkan, Kinks, Sunroof!, Boris, Eugene Chadbourne, Dr. Feelgood, deadmau5, Justice, LCD Soundsystem

Sorry, quite long that - and that covers only a fraction of it really.

So, thousands of CDs, records and many gigabytes of digital later, aged 41 - don't think my musical tastes have ever changed really, just expanded - I still listen to everything I ever have done, and love all of it...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
has a dual passport

Clearly.

238049.1020.A.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
omnibeard said:
OK, dificult to resist an opportunity to rant about music tastes so here goes. Hopefully I've got the timescales about right!

5-10: anything kicking around the house: ELO, Queen, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Elvis, Bowie, Steeleye Span, Slade, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Carpenters

10-12: all of the above, plus stuff influenced by older sister, and anything else picked up on radio/tv: Echo & Bunnymen, Virgin Prunes, Xmal Deutschland, Bauhaus, the Cramps, the Smiths, OMD, Teardrop Explodes, Talking Heads, Buzzcocks, Psychedelic Furs, Public Image Ltd, Death Cult, Specials

12-15: all of the above, plus finding stuff with kids at school: Rudimentary Peni, Crass, Conflict, Hagar the Womb, Flux of Pink Indians, Jesus & Mary Chain, Joy Division, Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Discharge, Motorhead

15-18: all of the above, plus more punk, getting into metal and grunge: Napalm Death, Heresy, Extreme Noise Terror, Bolt Thrower, Joyce McKinney Experience, Slayer, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Big Black, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Bad Brains, Husker Du, Walking Seeds, Prong

18-21: all of the above, plus massive exploration of all sorts at uni: Can, Neu!, Faust, John Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Archie Shepp, Sun Ra, Half Japanese, Bongwater, Shockabilly, Incredible String Band, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Chrome/Helios Creed, Butthole Surfers, Minutemen/Firehose, Velvet Underground, Coil, Nurse with Wound, Jad Fair, Killdozer, Hawkwind, Daniel Johnston, Funkadelic, Sepultura, Henry Cow, Monster Magnet, Cluster, Harmonia, Throbbing Gristle, Gwar, Meat Puppets, Beefheart, Yo La Tengo, Melvins, Fall, Scratch Acid, Tom Waits, Diamanda Galas, Stooges, 13th Floor Elevators, Stooges, Love, Byrds

21-25: all of the above, plus starting to get into electronic music and anything else that takes my fancy: Autechre, Aphex Twin, Drexciya, acid/techno labels (Rising High, Harthouse, Labworks, Warp, Important, D-Jax, Edge), gabba labels (Mokum, Ruffneck), Guided By Voices, Thinking Fellers Union 282, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Royal Trux

25-30: all of the above, plus noise, Japanese mayhem, more metal, new discoveries of old nuggets: Skullflower, Total, Merzbow, Incapacitants, Boredoms, High Rise, Musica Transonic, Keiji Haino, Fushitsusha, Ruins, Optical 8, Melt Banana, Pig Destroyer, Chimaira, Wire, Magazine, Suicide, Acid Mothers Temple, Stereolab, Mission of Burma, Nick Cave/Bad Seeds

30-35: all of the above, plus dub, easy listening, assorted oddities, mad electronica, Americana: African Head Charge, Mad Professor, Dub Syndicate, Creation Rebel, Lee "Scratch" Perry, Scott Walker, CrippledDick Hot Wax label, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Engelbert Humperdinck, Roger Whittaker, Kenny Rogers, Serge Gainsbourg, Jacques Brel, Os Mutantes, Kid 606, Venetian Snares, Mouse on Mars, Vibracathedral Orchestra, Smog, Palace Music, Cat Power, Calexico, Neutral Milk Hotel, Manitoba/Caribou, Joanna Newsom, Matmos, Soft Pink Truth, Blectum from Blechdom, Spiritualised

35-now: all of the above, plus anything at all really: Mastodon, Burnt Friedman, Sly & Family Stone, Otto Von Schirach, Four Tet, Astral Social Club, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Queens of the Stone Age, Lightning Bolt, Deerhoof, Gas, anything Klezmer/Gypsy/Balkan, Kinks, Sunroof!, Boris, Eugene Chadbourne, Dr. Feelgood, deadmau5, Justice, LCD Soundsystem

So, thousands of CDs, records and many gigabytes of digital later, aged 41 - don't think my musical tastes have ever changed really, just expanded - I still listen to everything I ever have done, and love all of it...

Brilliant list!

But wot, no Beach Boys????

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
omnibeard said:

Brilliant list!

But wot, no Beach Boys????

Great list!

For anyone who hasn't heard (and seen) Eugene Chadbourne playing the electric rake, it has to be experienced to be believed!

T

the record spot

My tastes have, much like anyone else's changed over the years. Earliest memories are listening to Radio Luxembourg's drifting signal in the late 1960s on my parents' bed at night - that was a wide range of "happening" stuff they played at the time! From there into the the 70s there was a mix of pop radio, my mum's big band and rock and roll, my dad's country and western (I used to joke to friends that with that combination, I never knew whether to laugh or cry...!) and the odd Beatles, Chubby Checker, whatever.

One of my earliest memories would be the Baatles Eleanor Rigby and that distinctive sound stayed with me for years. Since then I've always looked out for music that's interesting or different (Residents, Diamanda Galas, etc) as well as the more maintstream material.

Growing up in the 70s and 80s meant a real mix of great music and some dreadful stuff too - I like a variety; some good but no doubt some that others would consider awful (who cares though!). It's part of the patchwork of my life and it's forever changing which is as it should be.

I was thinking what my favourite track was though, of all that I'd heard over the years - rock, punk, classical, pop, prog...and think I'd pick this one, Brian Eno's "An Ending (Ascent)" off Apollo - Atmospheres and Soundtracks. One of the most lovely and moving pieces I've heard, but one of the simplest too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMXaE9NtQgg&feature=related

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
How could I have forgotten The Residents?

Nice to find there are people on here with ridiculous taste in music too!

I saw Eugene Chadbourne live a good few times, once in a tiny bar with Jimmy Carl Black from the Mothers of Invention (kind of) playing drums.

As for the Beach Boys - don't know why, but just never really listened to them other than the obvious singles. Where should I start? Spotify I guess!

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Record Spot - have your tastes really changed? Is there music you used to love that now you just can't understand what the appeal ever was?

Even stuff that I might be slightly less fond of now (and really I'm struggling to think of anything) has such massive nostalgic value that it will always find its way onto a stereo some time.

Really struggling to think of a band that I used to but no longer like. The Wedding Present might be the closest thing, but again they remind me so much of a time in my life and the people around me then that I'll stick them on every now and then.

I find Diamanda Galas to be a pretty good test of any stereo!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
omnibeard said:
How could I have forgotten The Residents?

Nice to find there are people on here with ridiculous taste in music too!

I saw Eugene Chadbourne live a good few times, once in a tiny bar with Jimmy Carl Black from the Mothers of Invention (kind of) playing drums.

As for the Beach Boys - don't know why, but just never really listened to them other than the obvious singles. Where should I start? Spotify I guess!

The best place to start with The Beach Boys is 20 Golden Greats and then immediately jump to the Smile Sessions. Like going from Love Me Do to Tomorrow Never Knows. Similar time span too.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
This could be very dull, so only artists of whom I've 2 albums or more...

4-8 - parents' music: eg, various classical and jazz plus Cream, Hendrix, 'Stones, The Doors, various Motown/Stax/soul - and my Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Born Free OSTs. (FWIW, didn't like Beatles, still don't.)

9-14 - still into all aforementioned, add Bowie, Neil Young, Roxy Music/Ferry, Lou Reed/Velvet Underground, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, Kraftwerk, Neu! and classical early music. (Loathed most 70s pop and all heavy rock and prog.)

15-20 - add The Clash, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Stranglers, The Jam, Brian Eno, The Buzzcocks, Chic, The Gap Band, EWF, Junior Murvin, Burning Spear, 999, Blondie, Talking Heads, Black Uhuru, Joy Division and Magazine.

21-30 - add U2, Japan, Peter Gabriel, Prince, Cabaret Voltaire, Scritti Politti, Simple Minds, New Order, Grace Jones, Gil Scott-Heron, Blancmange, Sly & The Family Stone, Pet Shop Boys, Bob Dylan, George Harrison and John Surman.

30-40 - add Kate Bush, Radiohead, Massive Attack, Trcky, Portishead, Afro Celt Sound System, Nirvana, Johnny Cash, Depeche Mode, Elvis, Primal Scream, The Chemical Brothers, Leftfield, Public Enemy, Sigur Rós and Air.

40-present - add Goldfrapp, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Supertramp, Metallica, Opeth, Bat For Lashes, U.N.K.L.E., Belleruche, The Black Keys, The Kills, Wooden Shjips, Antony & The Johnsons, Flunk, The Pixies, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire, Anouar Brahem, Rokia Traoré, Céu, Concha Buika, Melody Gardot, Younger Brother and Metronomy.

TRENDING THREADS