iTunes 11

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Hows everone else getting on with iTunes 11?

I'm finding the hole thing annoying, the old itunes you could go directly to the page you need to get to just by one click ontop of the page . I think its been made to simple and everthing is hidden away so i'm forever having to look for what i need

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
As there is no longer a 'composer' tab, it has become pretty useless to me for anything other than feeding music to my iPod and iPad, and even that has become much more tedious. For me the 'upgrade' is a disaster.

Fortunately I have an older version on an older computer!

There are a lote of irate messages on the Apple iTunes forum, so we are not alone.

Anyone know any other programs which can code in ALAC and feed audio files int an iPod?

Andrew

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The biggest thing I miss is not being able to group by artist using those nice big icons. Also when you do view by artist, the artist list down the left hand side wasn't correctly sorted, but the latest 11.0.1 update does at least appear to have fixed this. (Don't they have beta testers and bug testers in-house? I discovered that bug within ten minutes of downloading 11.0.0 )

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
The biggest thing I miss is not being able to group by artist using those nice big icons. Also when you do view by artist, the artist list down the left hand side wasn't correctly sorted, but the latest 11.0.1 update does at least appear to have fixed this. (Don't they have beta testers and bug testers in-house? I discovered that bug within ten minutes of downloading 11.0.0 )

The first thing I did was go - View -> Show sidebar.

Then click on the descriptions under the progress bar.

Songs - Lists all tracks as per the old version. Mine is sorted Album by Artist

Albums - Albums Covers (large Icons) sorted album by artist

Artists - All albums sorted album by artist showing the cover art and all tracks.

The most useful one is Songs. Right click on the header and you can edit the display as before - Including composer.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
DavieCee said:
MajorFubar said:

The first thing I did was go - View -> Show sidebar.

Then click on the descriptions under the progress bar.

Songs - Lists all tracks as per the old version. Mine is sorted Album by Artist

Albums - Albums Covers (large Icons) sorted album by artist

Artists - All albums sorted album by artist showing the cover art and all tracks.

The most useful one is Songs. Right click on the header and you can edit the display as before - Including composer.
Think you missed my point: click 'artists' and the big icons, grouping by artist, are gone, replaced by a list of tiny thumbnails. The new iTunes seems to be aimed at people who view by album, not by artist, and people who want to use it to play continuous party music. Its purpose as a serious music player and librarian is being eroded. For a start I'd happily lose frivolous features like 'up next' for a tickbox in Preferences which tells iTunes to hog the soundcard and set the sample-rate and bit-depth properly, which Apple still haven't implemented, even though iTunes itself has been HD compatible for a while.

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Didn't notice Cover Flow was missing! That's a shame, it was quite nice doing that on full screen..

I can't seem to see people's shared libraries on my network at work.. In fact, I can't find the 'Shared' option anywhere!

Overall though, there are a few bugs, but I do like the way the album expands to reveal the tracks, particularly the clever colour matching!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I still have coverflow on 'Music' on the iPhone (where 99 percent of my iTunes activity goes on.)

I only check in with iTunes on our computers when ripping new CDs, downloading weekly podcasts, updating iTunes/iOS software and syncing the iPhone.

Bit pointless scrolling though 'album covers' unless your laptop has a touch screen. (Using Coverflow with a mouse is not exactly intuitive or as satisfactory.)

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Think you missed my point: click 'artists' and the big icons, grouping by artist, are gone, replaced by a list of tiny thumbnails. The new iTunes seems to be aimed at people who view by album, not by artist, and people who want to use it to play continuous party music. Its purpose as a serious music player and librarian is being eroded. For a start I'd happily lose frivolous features like 'up next' for a tickbox in Preferences which tells iTunes to hog the soundcard and set the sample-rate and bit-depth properly, which Apple still haven't implemented, even though iTunes itself has been HD compatible for a while.

I didn't miss the point. There must be another setting somewhere because for Artist, mine is set up exactly as you want. Artists in order, No tiny thumnails, a decent sized cover art with each album seperated and the tracks next to the art. At least I think that is what you want. If it is, then it is there. I just don't know how my preferences are different to yours.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
DavieCee said:
MajorFubar said:

I didn't miss the point. There must be another setting somewhere because for Artist, mine is set up exactly as you want.
It isn't and it can't be, because what I want has literally gone. You clicked 'Artists' and all the albums by artist were grouped under one large icon of your choice, like below (sorry this is the best I could find on Google Images at short notice):

iTunes-News_Gridswitch.jpg

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep, that's what I get...it's not what I want, sadly. I want what we had before. But we are where we are with it...they won't bring it back.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I just scroll through the artists in the middle column to get to their albums/tracks.

It seems to be upsetting some but I don't find it a biggie. But then I didn't use coverflow either.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No I wasn't a coverflow fan either as I prefer to see my albums grouped by artist, but I'm surprised that such a big slab of eye-candy was so unceremoniously dropped. Hey at least coloured icons are back though in the sidebar. Strange, because it looks like Apple are trying to wean people away from the sidebar; it isn't even visible by default.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
Anyone know any other programs which can code in ALAC and feed audio files int an iPod?

I can deal with slightly different ways to navigate through it, but I can no longer even feed audio files into my iPod Classic. My Nano is OK.

Probably going to have to faff around resetting my iPod and try all sorts of BS.

LeeBishop

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
ID. said:
Andrew17321 said:

I can deal with slightly different ways to navigate through it, but I can no longer even feed audio files into my iPod Classic. My Nano is OK.

Probably going to have to faff around resetting my iPod and try all sorts of BS.

I recently upgraded to itunes11 and have have a similar problem with my ipod classic. It will happily transfer lossless files accross but the mintue i ask it to sync my whole library accross and lower the bitrate (too much music to fit on the ipod as lossless) it starts syncing then after a few tracks it just stalls.

After numerous phonecalls to apple help desk and lots of trouble shooting they agreed that there was a soft ware issue, they got me to try everything from factory restoing the ipod to reinstalling itunes to setting up a new library as well as changing cables and usb sockets. The classic will sync albums accross but the minute you ask it to down convert a large amount of files it stalls.

They raised the issue up the tree and just told me to wait for a fix.

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
shooter said:
Anyone having problems with the new itunes 11 and Puremusic or any other music server software?

I'm using 11 with Puremusic and in general there are no problems.

They released a "patch" update 1.89d4 to fix a few problems that Puremusic encountered with 11 which has solved most things, and they recommend de-selecting the gapless playback option in Puremusic for now to help run smoother.

The only problem i am still finding is using the "play next" and "add to up next" features in 11, where it freezes when trying to play the next song some times.

Channel D have said that they will soon be releasing a full new version of Puremusic that will fully integrate with Itunes 11. They are normally quite quick off the mark so expect this pretty soon ;)

The main problem i have encountered with Itunes 11 is how sluggish it is with my library of over 61,000 tracks.

Itunes 10 handled this no problem for me and was quite zippy, but 11 hangs a lot when adding, editing, searching etc and seems to struggle with a large library :?

Hopefully the bugs causing this will be ironed out with updates from Apple sooner than later, as 10 did all this with no problem!! :wall:

And FWIW i too liked the list by Artist with the larger artwork... miss that :cry:

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I used to like the slide that let you zoom in or out of the cover art, you seem to only be able to fit a lesser number of album covers on the screen now, unless I'm missing something?

Cliff

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
No I wasn't a coverflow fan either as I prefer to see my albums grouped by artist.....

​As you may remember, I like to resurrect old threads...haha!!

Continuing on that theme....

I would like to ask the team, what benefits would be gained from upgrading to iTunes 11, if any, other than being (allegedly?) able to set

'Playback Preferences'

'Play Audio Using' = 'Windows Audio Session' (aka WASAPI)? Which may improve my sound somewhat..

And, would I ever recover from the sad loss of 'cover flow' and 'iTunes DJ'..??

Cheers: Fred

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts