Its late . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Been with out my music, camera and fishing rod for a few days . . . Yep, decorating the music room/study. All finished, 'puter back up and running, remembered where to put all those plug things??? I have an amp speakers, and cable sitting here, it was a bit of a search to find the long speaker cable? Unfortunately, the stands are under a pile of carpet, and antique pine doors in the shed, at gone 12 midnight, I've not got the energy . . . so the hifi stays silent. . . . according to my diary, my friendly 'flat earth' dealer is back off holiday, I will be making the phone call to arrange a dem. This is where it really gets interesting, not done any auditioning for 20 years or more . . . ? A totally new room acoustic, sounds a bit like a bathroom at the moment, pictures to go up, curtains to hang, options to deaden walls and a whole load of CD's to listen to. My late Fathers extensive classical collection and my own largely untouched collection that I started building back in the early 90's. I was still very much into vinyl in those days . . . ? How will the signature of the new room develop, what amp to choose . . . and CDp'? Holding my breath for the new Apollo, or do I grab a bargain when they sell off the MkI's, will they sell off the MkI's? . . . :dance: CJSF CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Made sure I was home at a reasonable time this evening. Changed, and dived into the muck and dust that is that end of my shed. I'd forgotten how heavy 'Foundation Designer stand' are . . . 15-20 years ago I could carry them 'Farmers Walk' style, one at a time these days and then with a bit of puff . . . :doh:

The effort was worth it :bounce: IMHO

. . . problem now, I can hear the shortcomings of the system. It ain't bad, better by a big margin than the hotch-potch thrown together effort of the previous few months.

Advantages . . .gives me a goal, I know where I want to head . . . ? Doubt I will ever get near to those halcyon days of the 80's. However, I'm enjoying what I have at this moment, a big step forward. The new room is speaker position sensitive . . . sensitive by just an inch or two, and a degree or two on tow-in! . . . or is that the potential stretching its legs?

We will see, going to sit back and have a nightcap of 'Miserere', saved it till last . . . :D

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
. . . and as an 'encore', I listened to 'Pachebell, Cannon in D major' . . . a piece of music I have not heard as a hi fi performance before . . . speechless . . . as with Miserere, maney versions, it will be fun trying them out.

A new experience for Hazel . . . she has never heard proper hi fi performances before. An experience for me after 16 years of non activity, a new experience for us both to listen 'together' and enjoy . . . ;)

CJSF (and Hazel) :clap:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi CJSF, Which kit do you currently have?

Hi Macspur, hifi kit, such as it is; a venerable Rotel 820 integrated amp, bought it for my late Father around 1990, a PC playing through an 'HRT DAC Music Streemer II', as my basic music source . . . and a pair of LB1's by The Professional Monitor Company, these are mounted on Foundation Designer stands.

It all dates back to at least 20 years ago, that includes the speaker cables and interconnects, even the Blu Tack used to mount the speakers is 20 years old! Obviously the PC/DAC combination is the 'od man out'. The Rotel was mothballed in 2000 when Dad died, the rest has not seen the light of day since 1995, I started to resurrect them all earlier this year.

I am getting musicality, good image, with a performance that is believable, close the eyes, walls and celling disappear. Theoretically the component quality is the wrong way round, however the Rotel is doing a sterling job. Having listened to budget offerings like Denon 380 and Marantz 6003, my old 820 hold its own OK. So its to a proper 'old style' hifi shop in the next couple of weeks, speakers in the boot, selected CD's in hand, see where £1000/£1500 takes me?

The budget has to include a CDp, almost a no brainer is the Rega Apollo, the new Brio R is on the list as well, but there are a couple of dark horses I need to hear, can modern budget valves do themselves justice? . . . modern and valves in the same sentence . . . ???? :D

For 'two pins' I'd stay as I am, sound quality has exceeded my expectations, however the Rotel is showing signs of its years, plastic bits are brittle . . . a speaker cable terminal has broken . . . I'm not incapable of renewing it, but what of the fragility of other components?

CJSF

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi CJ,
You won't go far wrong with the Apollo, or even better if you could be lucky and find an ex demo/used Saturn. Haven't ever heard a Rega amp, but it's a very good make and sure you'd be happy with whatever you end up with.
If possible try and get a home demo of whatever you choose.
Enjoy and be sure to report back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts