Itchy trigger finger: part deux

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
My QED Revelation speaker cables arrived this morning. At 7.45, to be precise. I was probably not quite as polite to the RM special delivery bloke as I should have been. He got a wiggly diagonal line for a signature on his handheld computer thingy.

Anyway, a large mug of continental blend and two fags later (smoking is bad, kids- don't do it!), it was time to try them out.

With my 753s, the sound was immediately much bigger. The bass now digs a fair bit deeper, and has much more impact than before, whilst both mid and top end are suberbly detailed, natural and open sounding.

The best was yet to come.

I swapped the 753s for my 781s. Wow. They sound enormous. They didn't before! I've done a dozen or so CDs through them now and my system has gone from 'great' to 'jaw-dropping'.

What an upgrade. It sounds like a completely different system, and I'm currently grinning like the Cheshire cat that got the cream, two scotch eggs, a sausage and half a pound of diced steak out of the fridge while you weren't looking.

For the improvement I've got, I would happily have spent twice as much. Nice one QED!

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
great news on your cable joy, sounds like your a happy bunny now, but i really wanted to know if you have proof that cats eat scotch eggs

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Dougal1331:

With my 753s, the sound was immediately much bigger. The bass now digs a fair bit deeper, and has much more impact than before, whilst both mid and top end are suberbly detailed, natural and open sounding.

Anyway, a large mug of continental blend and two fags later (smoking is bad, kids- don't do it!), it was time to try them out

The best was yet to come.

I swapped the 753s for my 781s. Wow. They sound enormous. They didn't before! I've done a dozen or so CDs through them now and my system has gone from 'great' to 'jaw-dropping'.

What an upgrade. It sounds like a completely different system, and I'm currently grinning like the Cheshire cat that got the cream, two scotch eggs, a sausage and half a pound of diced steak out of the fridge while you weren't looking.

For the improvement I've got, I would happily have spent twice as much. Nice one QED!

Nice one & who says decent cables dont make a difference? they did with mine without a doubt....

An extra large cup of coffee first thing in the morning certainly makes the difference, like 2 pints & a bag of nuts when you are about to be transported to a Vogon Constructor Ship.....

T

the record spot

f1only:
Nice one & who says decent cables dont make a difference?

Hello!

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
vinod_david:Thanks for review. So, would you say for a brighter system the QED Revel. would not gel ? thanx.

Hi David,

I did plenty of research on the Rev before I went for it. Many QED cables have erred on the bright side, i.e XT and Silver Anniversary, but Rev is more balanced and rounded.

My kit has always been fairly bright (my old Atlas silver cable made it incredibly sharp and fatiguing). I was a little concerned with possible brightness, and nearly opted for Atlas Hyper 2.0 instead, which is said to have a smoother treble than the QED. In the end, I was swung by the price- got a good deal and the Atlas would've cost me a fair bit more.

I'm glad I went the way I did: the Revelation has tamed the inherent brightness perfectly. I now have masses of detail projected into an enormous, airy soundstage, but the improvement in the mid and low end ensures it never gets toppy.

I would say go for it- at this price point, many dealers will let you try before you buy, so you can't really go wrong. I now believe I will never have to buy speaker cable ever again, so QED may have shot themselves in the foot...

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah, good morning Mr Spot!

I've always believed that cable cannot make a poor system good, but it can make a good system poor. The night 'n' day changes I have heard are proof to me that cables can make a significant difference- and I would gladly demonstrate as such.

But you are obviously happy with what you have, and that really is all that matters. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...!

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
bluebrazil:great news on your cable joy, sounds like your a happy bunny now, but i really wanted to know if you have proof that cats eat scotch eggs

A boiled egg encased in sausage meat. Uh-huh, I reckon it wouldn't last too long if Tiddles got at it...

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dougal:

Thanks again for detailed reply. I was actually pointing my gun at Chord Odys 2 and QED Rev for a long time and confused on which one to fire, and thanks to your reassurances, gonna pull my trigger soon.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Glad its worked for you Dougal
emotion-5.gif

I'm VERY haooy with my QED Revelation currently; I wasnt so sure about it at first and went back to the Chord Carnival Silverscreen but in doing that I lost a little bit of bite & attack with the soundstage of my system

Moved back to the QED Revelation and it really was a REVELATION! Solid, deep, taut bass, smooth andd detailed midrange and great trebles!

I have been hankering after the Chord Oddyssey 4 cable recently and managed to get a demo of it (and in doing so removed te Chord Siganture speaker cable jumpers I have as the Chord Oddyssey 4 was in a 2-4 set-up) and it made NO difference! Soundstage was exactly the same right across the board.

The QED does need a good amount of time to burn in but now it has the system has really opened up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts