IT guys help with re-formatting an invisible external drive.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Here is my issue:

I have a 1TB external drive that I use for backing up to and so I can back up from other PCs I "converted" it to a NAS drive using a Network Storage Link with USB connect (NSL).

All worked perfect for about 11 months and suddenly I get failures of the NSL.

So I thought I would just put the drive back to use as a normal USB to PC ext drive. However to set it up originally I had to change the NTFS format and now when I connect it to a PC directy it is not seen.

If I look in the disk management I can see it but in "my computer" it is not mounted and I can't map to it. I can't reformat it via disk management.

So it looks like I may have useless 1TB drive. Don't really want to get another NSL as it was 50 quid and hasn't lasted that long.

Anyone any ideas on how to recover the drive as I am at the limit of my PC capabilities.

Thanks

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
HI s.o.m

Just a suggestion, i'm assuming that you have it connected via usb?. Have you considered opening the pc and connecting the bare drive directly. I dont know if this will work in your case, is the drive sata or the old type eide? I am no expert but I did this before with an old drive, connected it to a pc that had a floppy drive and used a dos disc to format it.

(if it sounds stupid, as i said im not an expert but i am sure someone may be able to help - good luck )

dave

A

Anonymous

If you can see it it disk management you can reformat it there. May be worth deleting and recreating the partition while you are at it......

So steps as follows...a: Delete partition, b: Create partition, c: Format (NTFS).

HTH.

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
Hopefully the above advice should work but if the hard drive cannot be seen in windows at all try Gparted. Download & burn to a cd. Pretty simple to use & NTFS is in the options. Make sure your dvd drive is listed first on your bios boot list.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all.

Raym87, did as you suggested and 1 minute later I have a drive back and functioning. Easy when you know how. Thanks for the instructions.
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts