Issues with current amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey folks, please be kind as I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking and reading up a lot over the past few months on AV systems and separates systems on this forum and quite frankly... it's easy to get overwhelmed by the amount of information lol.

So onto why I am posting, and registered even. I have a separates system consisting of a Technics A900mk2 integrated amp, Technics CD player (connected via QED silver anniversary cables), Castle Avon speakers (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_4_3/images/castleavon.jpg) and love the sound from them.

I play most of my music via my PC through my amp, and have had no problems with interference, bad playback, etc up until now. Now when I play music the playback is very poor to say the least, and have deduced that the problem is not my PC or sound card by playing music through my laptop to amp, or through CD player to amp (though with the CD player the problems are less apparent).

So onto the good stuff, it seems I need a new amp! One that will compliment the sound from my speakers and ideally work well when mated with a PC (though all digital to analog is done via sound card).

I went to a few shops today and they recommended a few setups I could try.

One was the Marantz range of amps, or Arcam (namely the A90/A80 as they have 30% off at the moment), One brand starting with an R which i cant recall :god:.... but the one that caught my eye was Cyrus, namely the 6v2 or even the 8v2, what are your thoughts on this? (if any :rotfl:) lol.

Budget wise its not really a concern but I don't want to spend thousands and thousands in one go, but at the same time I would like something that will serve me well for years to come as I've had this Technics system for quite a few years now.

Anyhow I'll stop rambling on and hopefully look forward to any advice given :D

Plus, is there any way to check to make sure that my speakers aren't the ones about to pack in without swapping out for a different amp, as I currently don't have one to try?

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

A

Anonymous

Given that your main music source are the files on your PC I'd recommend that you look at an amp with slightly more tone control than the Cyrus would provide you with. The quality of music files can (and does) vary widely and as such you may find that the clarity and the sublety of the Cyrus amps would expose your source material to too much scrutiny - i.e. at the moment your Technics amp will be compensating somewhat for the compression of the music files. Marantz amps at the moment are tending towards the bright and as such may work well with the Avons, but the Arcam A80 may well be the one to go for. And the brand beginning with 'R'? Likely to be Rotel , and well worth a listen!

But as with all Hi-Fi . . . go out and listen, take your speakers if need be - your average dealer won't mind!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply tobester... I am going tomorrow to have a listen to some amps, and going to take my laptop and plug it in and see what the various amps sound like. If im still unsure I'll take my speakers in, its just they are pretty large and would rather not lug them around and risk damaging the wood on them or anything.

Yeah Rotel was the one I wasn't sure about... heard good things about them also!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Tobester"]The quality of music files can (and does) vary widely and as such you may find that the clarity and the sublety of the Cyrus amps would expose your source material to too much scrutiny -[/quote]

Whats the problem? Rubish in, rubish out. The cyrus 8vs2 is a very good amplifier, simply in a different league to even Arcam's FMJ or non-digital (non B&O) Rotels. It's pointless to criticise it for being revealing.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, i try to make sure all my mp3s are high quality, or even lossless where possible as I want as near cd quality where I can. I do understand the whole quality issues with mp3 and whatnot, but as it stands most of the music is on my PC, mp3's are generally 320kbps or above, or lossless so quality is decent. Only recently has the quality is playback itself gone to pot!

A

Anonymous

No criticism implied or meant! Both the Cyrus 6 and 8 are excellent amps, it's just when you're trying to narrow down what you should be listening to it helps if someone can give you a bit of framework to work within - which is what the OP was asking for.

If I'm wrong for saying that they are clear and subtle amps then spank me! :) As it is, from what the OP has said I thought that either the Arcam or Rotel (or indeed any amp with the ability to alter the tonal balance) would be a preferable option.

The 'Rubbish in, rubbish out' comment is a bit patronising. If it's what he/she listens to then fine, let's just look at the best way of answering their question rather than trying to inflict our own preferences on them . . .

A

Anonymous

Sorry guys I didn't wanna cause any problems... hopefully I'll have a listen to them all and then make a judgement, just wanted opinions on what you guys recommend... I mean it doesn't have to be the specific mentioned brands as they were just the ones that the 2 stores I went to had recommended.

I must admit I was drawn to the Cyrus' due to their upgradeability and the look, and obviously the reviews they keep getting but I am in no way fixed to a particular brand. Others brands that I have thought about are Linn, Naim, Meridian, etc etc (could go on forever).

I just wanted to see what others thought and get some guidance.

A

Anonymous

No problem! I use a lot of Lossless files, as well as SACD, CD and good old vinyl and it really is down to finding something that works well with what you listen to most. Just remember, it's your money, don't be shy, and have fun! There's a lot of listening pleasure to be had out there, and if you end up with something that isn't the flavour of the month don't worry about it (says he who's just bought a flavour of the month system!).

A

Anonymous

hehe your advice is much appreciated mate :D

What flavour of the month system would that be.

I'll keep you posted as to how i rate the systems I listen to :D

A

Anonymous

Well . . . over the years gradually built up to an Arcam Alpha CD 7SE running through Exposure 2010 pre and power amps into B&W 603 s2's, with the Tecnodek of course. All has now been changed (except the Tecnodek) for a Naim Nati 5i and CD5i with Dali IKON 6's. As you can see it's possibly the first time I've fallen in line with anything mainstream (for many years I refused to part with my 1972 Rotel RA610 amp - older than me!) , but it took a lot of listening and I could have spent nearly a thousand more, but having listened to lots of stuff I found that I (and the missus!) liked the aforementioned combination the most . . .

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Tobester"]over the years gradually built up to an Arcam Alpha CD 7SE running through Exposure 2010 pre and power amps into B&W 603 s2's, [/quote]

I didn't know Exposure made 2010 pre amp!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I had a listen to the Cyrus amp, which were mated to Monitor Audio
speakers, and played music through my laptop and I must say I was
impressed. How these work with my castles im not sure but I plan on
going back and having a listen with my own speakers. One question
though, is there a major difference between the Cyrus 8vs and the 8vs2
in terms of sound, as theres a couple of 8vs on ebay at the moment for
a lot less than the £850 pricetag, which I dont mind paying but I'm not
one to pass up a good deal.

Still not 100% sure what I want to do, lots of seemingly good deals on much higher end stuff on eBay too which I'm tempted by lol! namely a Primare A30.1 mk2 which looks pretty tasty lol!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts