Isolation platforms - listening impressions

insider9

My expectations based on measurements were that bass would improve. However this was on one of the speakers and not the other. For close to two weeks I have been using Pyle isolation on one speaker and wooden board under the other. According to measurement this should give me best results.

What I did not expect is how isolation will impact on midrange and soundstage. I've noticed that sound is free'er of the speakers. Soundstage depth improved and overall focus also improved. The differences in bass are there but overall improvements elsewhere are were the biggest benefits come from.

I must admit I was happy to call quits on the project. Now I'm going to use the other platforms even though it affects bass in a slightly negative way.

Big thanks Cno for common sense approach.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Nowhere near the impact of isolation. Unless it was USB cables were taking about.

I'm now messing with Uptone Regen and Audioquest Jitter bug. Does it ever end? Hahaha

I was asking, as you said this on another thread:

"Ok for anyone who would like to try Google NYY-J cables. Got mine from TLC. I'd suggest getting 4 core if speakers have LF and HF terminals. Solid core 2.5mm2 works best but be aware these won't bend easily.

I've gone from Chord Odyssey 2 to these."

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:
Nowhere near the impact of isolation. Unless it was USB cables were taking about.

I'm now messing with Uptone Regen and Audioquest Jitter bug. Does it ever end? Hahaha

"Ok for anyone who would like to try Google NYY-J cables. Got mine from TLC. I'd suggest getting 4 core if speakers have LF and HF terminals. Solid core 2.5mm2 works best but be aware these won't bend easily.

Sorry though I replied and lost track of that thread.

No, honestly couldn't tell them apart in a blind test. Obviously measured acoustic performance too. But that was many amps and speakers ago. Couldn't justify price difference and at that point with diy conversion needed lots of cable.

In my opinion as I see it right now speaker cables and interconnects are one of the least contributing factors in the chains. As long as they are sufficient quality.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

No, honestly couldn't tell them apart in a blind test. Obviously measured acoustic performance too. But that was many amps and speakers ago. Couldn't justify price difference and at that point with diy conversion needed lots of cable.

In my opinion as I see it right now speaker cables and interconnects are one of the least contributing factors in the chains. As long as they are sufficient quality.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

I’m currently using an UpTone Regen with an M2Tech HiFace device. I’m finding improved clarity and focus along with the music sounding more natural.

insider9

Infiniteloop said:
I’m currently using an UpTone Regen with an M2Tech HiFace device. I’m finding improved clarity and focus along with the music sounding more natural. 
I've got both Regen and Jitterbug with a Oyaide USB cable. I'll reserve my judgement but early signs are positive.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:

Thx for the reply.

I agree that everything else needs sorted before S/Cs and I/Cs.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Newlash, were you afraid that I've lost it and will now just promote all the dubious products ferociously? *biggrin*

I most certainly won't but it won't stop me trying things.

To keep track of all the new things you seem to be throwing into the mix every day. Isolation, Linux OS and then you mentioned cables. I was worried you might give all the credit for the sonic improvements just to the cables :)

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

Thx for the reply. 

I agree that everything else needs sorted before S/Cs and I/Cs.
*biggrin*

I'll happily ask you for advice once I need cables. I don't rule anything out at this point.

insider9

newlash09 said:
insider9 said:
Newlash, were you afraid that I've lost it and will now just promote all the dubious products ferociously? *biggrin*

To keep track of all the new things you seem to be throwing into the mix every day. Isolation, Linux OS and then you mentioned cables. I was worried you might give all the credit for the sonic improvements just to the cables :)
Nah, I do test quite a bit. But try to keep to one change at a time. Linux was a happy coincidence and wasn't really done with sound improvements in mind. Also relatively new development. Isolation in place since Friday two weeks ago. After all was measured.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
newlash09 said:
insider9 said:

Nah, I do test quite a bit. But try to keep to one change at a time. Linux was a happy coincidence and wasn't really done with sound improvements in mind. Also relatively new development. Isolation in place since Friday two weeks ago. After all was measured.

Always enjoy following your experiments. You always back up your listening with measurements, so to me your findings sound more convincing. Less placebo and expectation bias involved.

Yeah some we can't measure, like the windows vs Linux experiment. But not many like that. By any chance do you think cables could skew the frequency balance of the sound to the extent that it could be measurable in your room. If it could be, that will put the cable wars to rest :)

insider9

No I haven't seen this in any comparisons of cables between £1 and £30 per meter. They won't be able to skew it that much unless there's something very wrong. Like comparing 100m of bell wire with thick 2m one. I do believe they can have some impact just prefer to use DSP not "tune" with cables.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
No I haven't seen this in any comparisons of cables between £1 and £30 per meter. They won't be able to skew it that much unless there's something very wrong. Like comparing 100m of bell wire with thick 2m one. I do believe they can have some impact just prefer to use DSP not "tune" with cables.

Tuning with dsp instead of cables sounds like a great idea. Why didn't I think of that before :)

insider9

newlash09 said:
insider9 said:

Tuning with dsp instead of cables sounds like a great idea. Why didn't I think of that before :)
Hahahaha *lol*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:

Good keep that tight grip on reality or you'll never recover.

When even the packaging effects sq you know it's too late

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts