Isobaric Loudspeakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Richard Allen said:
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
matt49 said:
Al ears said:
And Neat also claim about £9000 .....

True. I'm sure Richard will be aiming rather lower in price, if not performance.

Ouch!!!. Thanks Matt!!. Lower in price yes. £4000ish. Lower in performance?. We'll see about that one. If I don't think it works then it won't see the light of day.

I don't think Matt meant it that way (at least I think not) *biggrin*

But it does beg to question how, if you have not actually built a pair of fully-functioning isobaric speakers, you can quote a price of £4000?

Do you build your speakers to a preconceived price.

Simple economics really Al. I start with the material cost of a pair, put my margin on to get them out of the door, add the dealers margin which I know, and then add VAT to give the suggested selling price.

These are not cheap cabinets to build. There's a lot goes into them in financial costs. True, they won't be the likes of the Neats but it gives you some idea as to how much the components that go into these things actually cost.

Got you Richard. Just wondered, because, say in the course of your experimentation you found a pair of transducers that provided better measurements but they cost 3 times the price of the ones you are currently employing, would you then go ahead and build a pair that might retail at say £6000 or would you stick with the £4000 configuration as they would ultimately be more 'saleable'?

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
matt49 said:
Al ears said:

True. I'm sure Richard will be aiming rather lower in price, if not performance.

Ouch!!!. Thanks Matt!!. Lower in price yes. £4000ish. Lower in performance?. We'll see about that one. If I don't think it works then it won't see the light of day.

But it does beg to question how, if you have not actually built a pair of fully-functioning isobaric speakers, you can quote a price of £4000?

Simple economics really Al. I start with the material cost of a pair, put my margin on to get them out of the door, add the dealers margin which I know, and then add VAT to give the suggested selling price.

These are not cheap cabinets to build. There's a lot goes into them in financial costs. True, they won't be the likes of the Neats but it gives you some idea as to how much the components that go into these things actually cost. However, after playing around with the costings I can confirm that the actual SSP of this product will be in the region of £2600 a pair.

Don't forget, this is nothing like the Neat or the Linn. A totally different approach to the task. Suffice to say for this thing there's £30 worth of screws at cost!!!. The EB2 bass driver really is a durable little so-and-so. And the cabinet loading 'appears to behave like a closed box' but that's all I'm saying for now.*biggrin*

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
matt49 said:
Al ears said:

These are not cheap cabinets to build. There's a lot goes into them in financial costs. True, they won't be the likes of the Neats but it gives you some idea as to how much the components that go into these things actually cost.

Got you Richard. Just wondered, because, say in the course of your experimentation you found a pair of transducers that provided better measurements but they cost 3 times the price of the ones you are currently employing, would you then go ahead and build a pair that might retail at say £6000 or would you stick with the £4000 configuration as they would ultimately be more 'saleable'?

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous now 'edited' post before.

Richard Allen said:
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
matt49 said:
Al ears said:

I thank you Sir. (I wasn't going to mention the EB2's just in case........
wink_smile.gif
)

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
matt49 said:
Al ears said:

I thank you Sir. (I wasn't going to mention the EB2's just in case........ )

Ur welcome Sir. ( Why not Al??. It's a good workhorse ) *wink*

Remember Al, I need to use drivers that satisfy closed box parameters for this 'monkey' to work at all.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
matt49 said:
Al ears said:

Sorry, I now see that my post might have been read in a sense opposite to what I intended. What I meant of course was that your speakers' price would be rather lower but not their performance.

Though I'm not in the market for this kind of speaker, I'd like to see it happen.

bonzo101

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

This is interesting. Haven't been on this site for a while. don't like the setup of it but this seems an interesting thread though.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:
I was under the impression that you could not make the isobaric setup too small due to pressure in the second chamber but I am absolutely no expert here.

I guess the big question is whether or not it would sell, everyone wants floor standers in the current market but as far as I can see, they want them cheap and with loads of bass.

Would enough people understand and purchase a big (ish) speaker with a flat response? I genuinely don't know, with that kind of sensitivity they should demo ok, but without the 'obvious' bass presence will they be chosen?

If RA can get them reviewed on Stereophile and grab USA and Asian market, he can preorder a new yacht. UK and Europe is a bust for such exotica.

Oh, come on Vlad!!!. I mean. Not another bluddy yacht please.

Richard Allen said:
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:
I was under the impression that you could not make the isobaric setup too small due to pressure in the second chamber but I am absolutely no expert here.

I guess the big question is whether or not it would sell, everyone wants floor standers in the current market but as far as I can see, they want them cheap and with loads of bass.

Would enough people understand and purchase a big (ish) speaker with a flat response? I genuinely don't know, with that kind of sensitivity they should demo ok, but without the 'obvious' bass presence will they be chosen?

If RA can get them reviewed on Stereophile and grab USA and Asian market, he can preorder a new yacht. UK and Europe is a bust for such exotica.

Perhaps if I purchase another pair of EB2's I might be permitted to borrow one of your flotilla for the weekend??

Richard Allen said:
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

Perhaps if I purchase another pair of EB2's I might be permitted to borrow one of your flotilla for the weekend??

Richard Allen said:
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

Heard you the first time Al...

Richard Allen said:
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

DOUBLE POST SORRY

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

DOUBLE POST SORRY

Quadruple...

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Al ears said:
Richard Allen said:
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:

DOUBLE POST SORRY

Quadruple...

Indeed!!. Me thinks the keyboard is beckoned by the bin.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi.

Just a quick update. Size of cabiinet has changed. Couldn't get the coupling chambers inside ( doh!!! ) so overall size is 1000mm tall, 250mm wide and 300mm deep. Now it will all fit. ( I hope!!! ).

I see no point in playing with just the bass section so will voice the whole thing in one go. We'll see what happens.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Richard Allen said:
matt49 said:
Al ears said:

Sorry, I now see that my post might have been read in a sense opposite to what I intended. What I meant of course was that your speakers' price would be rather lower but not their performance.

Though I'm not in the market for this kind of speaker, I'd like to see it happen.

It's OK Matt. I knew what you meant.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts