ISF Calibration in Central Scotland?

Toolpusher

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've been merrily searching, but I can't find one local to the area. There is at least one in Glasgow, but he wants travel + accom. costs on top of his fee, same goes (but worse) for the English-based outfits. Anyone know of any in or around Edinburgh?

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Jules at Displaycalibration.co.uk. He'll charge travel costs but his price is reasonable & is closer as he's based in Leicester.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Toolpusher said:
Well, I've been merrily searching, but I can't find one local to the area. There is at least one in Glasgow, but he wants travel + accom. costs on top of his fee, same goes (but worse) for the English-based outfits. Anyone know of any in or around Edinburgh?

I can't imagine why on earth someone in Glasgow would want accommodation costs to calibrate in Edinburgh?? It's only 45 miles, for God's sake! Travel costs yes, but tell him to go back to Glasgow afterwards! Who was that, by the way?

I don't know of any calibrators in Edinburgh.

Biigboss is correct - Steve Withers flew to me in Edinburgh from the south of England, and did all four of my televisions the same day. He stayed with relatives in Fife, so he didn't charge me for accommodation!

Toolpusher

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't name names here, but his site does state that they tour around Scotland and other parts of the UK doing classes, demos etc., and they strongly suggest that the appointment is booked around that schedule for which no extra is charged over the basic fee which was around £250, all in, if I recall. I'm just not sure our schedules can meet, as it were, with me currently working long and often variable hours, I need someone to turn up when I want them to, not the other way around...

If, in the end, I have to pay a bit more, then fine. I haven't bought the thing yet, but I'm definitely set on a Panasonic TX-P50VT65B, which I firmly believe will benefit from pro calibration, especially as I'll be using an Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray spinner with it.

I'm sure it'll be worth it, in the end. :)

camac

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Toolpusher said:

Try David Mackenzie, he is based in Glasgow though. He does some reviews for a well known tv review website, dont know if I can mention it on here. But it can be removed by mods.

HDTVTEST.

He has an excellent reputation.

Toolpusher

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for those suggestions folks, very much appreciated. I'm hopefully getting my new Plasma asap after Xmas, so I'll be looking to get it calibrated after that. Looking at the 'pros and cons of calibration' thread, it seems necessary to let the set 'burn in' for about 200 hours beforehand, which might take me a while, although I'll no doubt enjoy it. :)

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Sun_Shang_Xiang said:
Gordon Fraser of Convergent AV is often in Glasgow, he's not cheap but is very good - I've no connection with Convergent AV, just a very satisfied client.

Gordon is very good. He will be due to come up to calibrate our demo room in the new year so will be in the area.

Toolpusher

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like a possibility. I've got the small matter of a flat move to contemplate, and I want to try and get that out of the way first, 50" TV being one less big box to carry. But I'm definitely grabbing one of those Panasonic VT plasmas before there's a chance of them running out. Had a wee look at one instore not long ago, I can only imagine what it must look like properly calibrated, with something like Blade Runner or Apocalypse Now playing on my Oppo BD player, feet up, wee refreshment in hand.........oh aye. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts