is this set up ok or is there better out there for the same money? thanks

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i have just been given a quote for a system which sounds ok to me, but im just wandering if anyone has nay better ideas before i go ahead and buy. cheers

arcam fmj a28 with b&w 683 speakers, linn speaker cable, for now i am only buying the arcam r dock and plan to get  a cd player when i have more money, any comments would be very much appreciated i am new to what hi fi so  thanks everyone in advance.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Mark Schmitz:
Hi i have just been given a quote for a system which sounds ok to me, but im just wandering if anyone has nay better ideas before i go ahead and buy. cheers

You don't seem bowled over by it.

If it only 'sounds ok' then you need to hear some more options.

It is hard to recommend anything in particular unless we know a little more about your tastes in music, how loud you like to play it, budget, the size of the room, whether you like a hard edgy sound or prefer a smooth and laid-back sound etc etc.

A

Anonymous

I'm not over the moon about 683s.

Stretch to the CM7 if it's a B&W floorstander you want though, or wait for the upcoming CM5?

If the iPod is a main source of yours I assume you have music on a computer, and if you want this to be your source there are ways of doing it to a high quality.

For example, a laptop with USB DAC into the amp. Or those AVI actives, or any other active so long as you buy a DAC too.

You could also consider amps with digital inputs. The new Linn Classik? Supernait?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Mark Schmitz:

arcam fmj a28 with b&w 683 speakers, linn speaker cable, for now i am only buying the arcam r dock and plan to get ÿa cd player when i have more money, any comments would be very much appreciated i am new to what hi fi so ÿthanks everyone in advance.

I think it all depends on what kind of music you listen to. Are you planning to play MP3 quality or lossless? Would you consider a DAC?

ÿ

Jitter

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Mark Schmitz:

You don't seem bowled over by it. .

My thoughts exactly. Don't be shy, listen to some more systems. There isn't much money out there at present, get the dealer to work for it.....

Added later.

I have just worked out what you are spending. You can get a really good, full system for that sort of money. Have a look at this site - recommended systems etc. You can get a really great sound for your budget. Go have a listen, DO NOT buy until you are happy.

Messiah

Mark Schmitz:

arcam fmj a28 with b&w 683 speakers, linn speaker cable, for now i am only buying the arcam r dock and plan to get a cd player when i have more money, any comments would be very much appreciated i am new to what hi fi so thanks everyone in advance.

How much were you quoted???

A

Anonymous

hi thanks for all the feedback, i listen to a lot types of music to be honest and i was really impressed with the quality of the sound,i listen to rock and trance music right down to bob dylan and john denver, ÿi have all my stuff enncoded in either apple lossless or wav and use the apple time machine to store all my music, and stream to my macbook i have a 160gb ipod also, i do like to play it loud when the house is empty!, the room is nt the biggest but i intend to move in the future and i want my system really to last a while! but i do appreciate the size of the room makes a massive difference to the sound.ÿ

ÿ

ok the dac into the amp sounds ok, do you think the ipod and rdock isnt great for sound quality?

ÿ

i was quoted 1746 with interconnects and cable exetra all in qed qunex 3 1.0M 2pp - 2pp. ÿand qed apnx airloc plug.

ÿ

i was also told that this the best price they can offer from superfi, im struggeling to find many b&w dealers local though, i tried this system a few months ago with compressed files since then i have gone lossless so relally i need to have another listen

A

Anonymous

also the front ported bass appealed as they dont have to be far from the wall

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts