Is this authentic? (Marantz PM6005?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

chalkey

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
This could be a game-changer in a competitve market. I bought PM6005 amp 4 days ago. Have been surprised by improvement in sound quality over my old Rotel amp. The only negatives are the slightly amorphous bass, and a reining-in of frequency bursts, resulting in a lack of musical drama. Nonetheless. the sound is very pleasing, and to my ears, is at its best with reproduction of acoustic small ensemble; vocals; and large, lush orchestration.

The instruction manual (on CD-rom only) makes no mention of internal DAC (?) However, when using the coaxial and optical inputs, the improvement in detail against using the other inputs is noticeable. So, there must be something in there working away on those two stages. Simply engage Source Direct and get the CD, DAB. or TV PVR coming cleanly through into the amp's DAC unit. I was surprised to find that my 26 year old Marantz CD player could be operated using the PM6005's remote control unit! However, the biggest delight was in the big upgrade in quality of the phono stage. Here the quality of the reproduction is better than one might expect from a budget component.

Considering PM6005 amp will give new life to old CD players (thorugh its state-of-the-art DAC), it's certainly is an evolutionary step up from its predecessor, the PM6004. It should also make you fall in love with your vinyl again.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
chebbys right the cr603 are dirt cheap and they were a bargain when they were full price..............be interesting to how good the replacement is though

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
audioaddict said:
plus also can anyone tell me if the 6004 would be powerful enough for my cm1s ?

... if your 603 is powerfull enough for cm1s, 6004/ 6005 have the same power into 8 ohms

Ishmael

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
My first post. Not sure which PM6005 thread to post on, but here goes.

Working on purchasing my first hi-fi system. For speakers, I'm planning on the Dali Zensor 7's, which I've had the chance to audition several times here in Tokyo and have left me very impressed. For an amp I'm looking at the PM6005. I've had a chance to audition the 6005 running music off my laptop through a Toslink optical cable. I thought it sounded great. And purchasing only the 6005 and the Dali speakers seems like a great budget system for a beginner. What do you think?

I've seen some comments on here about disappointment with the lack of USB connectivity. Is this a deal breaker for you? Why, why not?

I've also been considering the Marantz PM 8004, which is available now at heavily reduced prices here in Japan. (new for 375 GBP). I like the sound and control of the 8004, but then I would also have to drop extra change on an external DAC or CD or network player with built in DAC. Would you go PM6005 alone, or 8004 paired with something like the NA7004 (which can be had for around 200GBP used).

Was hoping the PM8005 would have a built in DAC. But was highly disappointed to see the 8000 series has not moved into the digital era yet. To me this seems like a bigger letdown than the lack of USB on the 6005. A PM8005 with DAC and digital connectivity would have been great competition for Rotel's RA-12 and RA-1570. I'm also considering the Rotel 1570, but at 200,000 yen (1200GBP), it's a bit beyond my budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts