Is this an HDMI issue with Sony 32KDL3000 TVs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all and Happy Easter! Am a long time reader of the mag but a first time forum poster (please be gentle!).

I have a Sony 32KDL3000 (uk version) TV. Last week I upgraded my DVD player to a Denon DVD1740. For the first time I am able to use HDMI as the connection to my tv. I duly purchased a QED Quenix performance HDMI cable based on the great rating WhatHifi gave this cable.

My issue/question is this:

When I set my tv to scan for connected HDMI devices using the Sony HDMI manager it returns a message saying that no devices were found even when the DVD is powered on and connected. However when my DVD player is powered on and I select the relevent AV channel the tv displays the channel name and the selected HDMI upscaled image type ("1080i" or "720p" for example) depending on which I have set the DVD to output in. This message disappears after a few seconds. This apparent paradox has made me wonder - is my TV actually displaying an upscaled image when the Sony HDMI device manager says it can find no connected devices?

I have looked at the Sony website but have been unable to find any information regarding possible compatibility issues with Denon products. So...do I have a problem or not? Would any of your good selves have any advice that could help me?

A

Anonymous

what is the full model number? KDL32???3000, could be D, S or anything ^^

A

Anonymous

I'm by no means an expert in these things, but did you connect the HDMI cable with the devices switched off at the mains (i.e. unplugged) or in standby? I had a similar problem with my V+ box not recognising my Panasonic TV via HDMI. Resolved by switching both off at the mains and reconnecting.

A

Anonymous

Will try unplugging both DVD and TV and then reconnecting as previoulsy there has been power running to both devices.

A

Anonymous

Hi OwenBB

[quote user="OwenBB"]
Will try unplugging both DVD and TV and then reconnecting as previoulsy there has been power running to both devices.
[/quote]Did the above suggestion work for you? I have a similar problem with my Sony KDL 32P2030 not recognising my PS3 when connected via HDMI. I have yet to try turning everything off first though.

A

Anonymous

Hi jonsey,

I tried unplugging everything last night and reconnecting. It made no difference at all, my Sony TV still does not find the DVD player in device manager. I am still none-the-wiser as to whether this is a defect/compatibility issue or not!

A

Anonymous

I think the problem is something to do with the "HDMI control" function. Make sure that is switched on on your TV for starters. My TV manual says that the HDMI control function has to be switched on on both the TV and HDMI device for it to work. However, despite my PS3 also being made by Sony, there does not appear to be a HDMI contol function anywhere in the PS3 menus. I haven't tried with a DVD player - I am awaiting delivery of a Sony DVD recorder tomorrow. When this turns up I will have a play around and let you know if I have any joy with the bloody thing!

A

Anonymous

Jonsey,

Think if I have got to the bottom of the issue. Having spoken to Sony they stated that not all devices will appear in the HDMI Device manager, even their own products sometimes. I borrowed my neighbours PS3 and tested it with my TV. The PS3 software stated that my TV would run all HD resolutions up to 1080p (in reality the TV scales down 1080p to 1080i) and it played a Blu-ray disc fine. However the HDMI manager would not recognise the PS3 even though the TV settings had HDMI manager enabled.

It appears that the HDMI manager is just a function whereby the Sony TV will sometimes be able to control other HDMI devices (cutting down the number of remotes needed possibley? Or maybe where 2 HDMI sources are connected to one HDMI socket using a splitter?) Anyway, I also spoke to Denon and they stated that where there is an HDMI device connected to their DVD players that can be used to operate the DVD player it will not function with their brand DVD players.

In short my TV will display an HD signal from both my upscaling DVD player and from a Bluray source. I just can't use the HDMI manager function. Guess i was making a fuss over nothing (damn my inquisitive nature!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts