Is this a worth Speaker upgrade

TheRooster

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
OK so some of you may have seen my previous post but I have (subject to audition) decided to upgrade my Tannoy surround speakers (Tannoy Recolution DC6T, DC6LCR and DC4 rears) to Monitor Audio Gold G5 - (200 L+R, 250 Centre and FX surrounds) then when I move house 4 x ceiling Atmos speakers. All running through my Denon X6400H AV receiver. I will eventually buy a dedicated stereo amp for the L+R.

My question is to the comunity whether you feel this is a worthy upgrade. Is it worth spending all that money for possibly not a huge step up in quality ? Or is it well established that the MA golds would chew up and spit out my current tannoys ?

I should mention I will be keeping my current Velodyne SPL1000 Subwofer.

Thanks

OK so some of you may have seen my previous post but I have (subject to audition) decided to upgrade my Tannoy surround speakers (Tannoy Recolution DC6T, DC6LCR and DC4 rears) to Monitor Audio Gold G5 - (200 L+R, 250 Centre and FX surrounds) then when I move house 4 x ceiling Atmos speakers. All running through my Denon X6400H AV receiver. I will eventually buy a dedicated stereo amp for the L+R.

My question is to the comunity whether you feel this is a worthy upgrade. Is it worth spending all that money for possibly not a huge step up in quality ? Or is it well established that the MA golds would chew up and spit out my current tannoys ?

I should mention I will be keeping my current Velodyne SPL1000 Subwofer.

Thanks
Well I don't know much about the home theatre side of things but I do know the M A Gold will certainly give a different presentation to the Tannoys when used with a dedicated two channel amp for music. Whether it will be miles better only you can decide.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Monitor Golds need the right amp to sound their best, and I would even say that they are notorious for sounding crap without an excellent front end. I would say that (for music through the AV receiver) there is just as much chance it will sound worse. Caveat: I have never heard a MA home theatre setup and it's been several years since I last heard the Golds, so this may not apply to a modern 5-channel system. But in a two channel setup, an AV receiver was exactly the kind of amp that they didn't like.

Don't let this somewhat outdated info dissuade you - just make sure you listen to it before committing. Bring your receiver to the shop if you have to. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS