Is this a good record?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
I've just bought my first operatic record for £4.99. It seems like a goody, but I know next to nowt bout opera. Is it any good?

LINK
Do you like Opera?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the info, Chebbs.

Personally, I'm liking how classical is sounding on vinyl, so far, especailly Barber's Adagio for strings. Opera is a new vinyl venture for me though.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
If you are liking how the classical albums sound, then keep an eye on ebay for "lot of records" or "collection" or similar.

There are always people selling off their entire collection for peanuts - just find one close to where you live and you are sorted.

I recently won an auction consisting of 200+ 78's along with 250+ albums, including some lovely mint condition classical boxed sets, for £25... I had to take the lot (it was a case of house clearance) but gave most of the 78s to a grateful local radio museum curator.

It's a very quick and cheap way of building your collection - and you can always bundle the ones you don't like and chuck 'em back on ebay!

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm not familiar with that recording or performance, but I presume it's fairly old, and not only have recording techniques and tastes changed, but so to some extent have the performances. For example, compare the rich, lush, 'modern' sound of Handel rocordings from the '70s with contemporary recordings which tend to be more sparse and 'historically accurate', often using original instruments. Of course, it's what you like the sound of that counts. You my like to look at something like the Penguin CD/Record guide, or reviews in BBC music magazine, to see which performances and recordings are considered to be the finest. One of my favourite recordings is an old one of Beethovens 7th Symphony; it's in Mono, not one of the greatest recordings, but undoubtdly a stunning performance that I've never heard an improvement on!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
whiskywheels:

I'm not familiar with that recording or performance, but I presume it's fairly old, and not only have recording techniques and tastes changed, but so to some extent have the performances. For example, compare the rich, lush, 'modern' sound of Handel rocordings from the '70s with contemporary recordings which tend to be more sparse and 'historically accurate', often using original instruments. Of course, it's what you like the sound of that counts. You my like to look at something like the Penguin CD/Record guide, or reviews in BBC music magazine, to see which performances and recordings are considered to be the finest. One of my favourite recordings is an old one of Beethovens 7th Symphony; it's in Mono, not one of the greatest recordings, but undoubtdly a stunning performance that I've never heard an improvement on!
Thank you for your input, WW. I'll look up the guides that you mentioned. I think the record is a 1962 pressing.

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
If you want to try some classical LPs, without spending too much, try Oxfam. My local one has a large selection of LPs, very cheap, and unlike ebay you can check the condition of the record yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts