Is there really a ‘right’ hi-fi sound for different music genres?

ilant207

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
I have a pair of Morel Octave 5.2 at home, and when I'm at work I use a pair of Meze 109 pro. Some things sound amazing on the Octave and just ok'ish on the 109, and vise versa. For instance, anything from Dire Straits just shines on the Octave, the 109 are great too but not as good. GNR's Use Your Illusion 1 sounds much more lively and engaging on the 109, quite boring on the Octave. I guess we can't have one tool that does it all great, it's true for creating the music in the first place, still true for recreating it by playback.

wescandela

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
Hello
My opinion on it is the following
The whole point of high resolution, digital music is in my opinion to get the digital audio as close to the original analog master as possible.

This is why I am a huge advocate for high fi music, hi Fidelity high resolution. In the end, you want to sample the original audio file so much that the samples are microscopic and the sound waves curve and contour seamlessly as does the original analog recording.

And to do this, we need to have a very high bit rate and sample rate. I cannot walk around with the turntable and plug my headphones in I don’t believe in Bluetooth headphones or earbuds because I need to be plugged in to hear precisely what is on the digital track

But all of that being said, that’s when I bring my EQ into it

I like to hear a punchy bass drum, I like to hear the bass guitar, I like to hear sharp vocals and crisp high hats the sound of the snare drum along with pianos keyboards, especially orchestral instruments

My go to earbuds have been for the last 13 years Shure in ear monitors.
The SE line. I now have two pairs of the shore SE846 earbuds
Four drivers, two for base one for mid range and one for high-end

But listening to music without an equalizer seem to bring the music to life enough for me.

I subscribed to Tidal when their prices were Competitive and not ridiculous, and I loved the sound… I did not feel the need for an equalizer

But now I just stream my music from home on the Plex media server “Plexamp” app.

My cellular data usage is ridiculous. But I know that the source of the music is pristine and bit for bit high resolution as it is on my Home media server.

The only reason I bring all of this up is that they give you the option to listen with an equalizer, and they also have presets designed for almost every earbud or headphone out there

I don’t think that there is any way to say that there’s one perfect setting to listen to music. It’s all preference.
But the source has to be lossless and beautiful
And in high resolution, we’re getting more than lossless, we’re getting close to Studio quality lossless.

Give me a 96 kHz 24 bit copy of an album. I love with dynamic range and tact… No loudness wars brick walled audio for me.

And then I adjust as my mood sees fit.

To each their own, just enjoy your musicIMG_6373.pngIMG_6376.png

Reactions: Ian AV

Ian AV

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
If you buy equipment that is neutral, then you will reproduce the sound as intended, any music genre will sound right. However, most equipment these days are more coloured than Joseph's coat and are not really HiFi, but as I term, NiceFi. Taylored to suit what appeals to the majority audience.
There is also the small problem of budget to consider too. Without a significant budget nirvana is unachievable. I also find that my sound perception changes like my tastebuds and what I would like to eat, which influences my listening preference. However, having the ability to change 'Q' factors at any frequency helps adjust to my taste if neutral does not suit my listening pleasure.

Reactions: wescandela

wescandela

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
If you buy equipment that is neutral, then you will reproduce the sound as intended, any music genre will sound right. However, most equipment these days are more coloured than Joseph's coat and are not really HiFi, but as I term, NiceFi. Taylored to suit what appeals to the majority audience.
There is also the small problem of budget to consider too. Without a significant budget nirvana is unachievable. I also find that my sound perception changes like my tastebuds and what I would like to eat, which influences my listening preference. However, having the ability to change 'Q' factors at any frequency helps adjust to my taste if neutral does not suit my listening pleasure.
Agreed agreed

Agreed my good sir.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
My current system is always my "right" hi-fi system for all the genres I purchase or borrow and play. I have only used, happily, two integrated amps to drive my systems in the 40 years I've been listening earnestly, enjoyably, and relatively seriously to 20 or so genres.

lensview

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
Are imprinted sonic characteristics sometimes preferable or is transparency and faithfulness king every time?

Is there really a ‘right’ hi-fi sound for different music genres? : Read more
The "right" sound is the sound that the record producer strives for, and that might be one kind of "sound" for artist A and song Q and another for a different song or a different artist. The producer can't possibly know to what degree your playback system is capable of reproducing accurately that "sound." I therefore challenge the substance of your opening statement that "what definitely isn’t (and never will be) [an absolute] is what defines the ‘right’ hi-fi sound." On the contrary, what defines the right sound -- that is, the sound emanating from our playback transducers -- is the sound that realizes the intentions of the producer. Or, more precisely, the sound that reveals accurately what is on the recording.

wescandela

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
My current system is always my "right" hi-fi system for all the genres I purchase or borrow and play. I have only used, happily, two integrated amps to drive my systems in the 40 years I've been listening earnestly, enjoyably, and relatively seriously to 20 or so genres.
I feel you, brother
One pair of headphones earbuds until I found the right pair
Then I upgraded
Don’t ask me the price of these earbuds they’re ridiculous, but they’re reference quality
And I can blast Radiohead or Rage Against The Machine or Peter Gabriel’s passion or Beethoven’s ninth symphony

And I am good good good.

wescandela

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
The "right" sound is the sound that the record producer strives for, and that might be one kind of "sound" for artist A and song Q and another for a different song or a different artist. The producer can't possibly know to what degree your playback system is capable of reproducing accurately that "sound." I therefore challenge the substance of your opening statement that "what definitely isn’t (and never will be) [an absolute] is what defines the ‘right’ hi-fi sound." On the contrary, what defines the right sound -- that is, the sound emanating from our playback transducers -- is the sound that realizes the intentions of the producer. Or, more precisely, the sound that reveals accurately what is on the recording.
I used to listen to everything flat, so I could hear all of the sonics as mixed and released by the artists

And then I finally said no way, I’m not doing this anymore

When a bass drum thumps, I want to feel it in my chest
When I’m playing David Bowie‘s Modern Love, I want that song to kick in and make me dance

So I tweak my EQ put in my earbuds and freak out

That’s the “right way” for me. but to each their own

I think it depends on what exactly you wanna hear and what your equipment can reproduce accurately.

If I’m listening to high-resolution music, I listen through a DAC (the dragonfly, cobalt) to make sure that I can hear all of the sonic information in the higher sample & Bit rates.

And normally when I first listen to high resolution music, I listen wth no EQ.

But then the itch begins.

And I start to slowly play with the graphic equalizer, speaking as a child of the 80s.
that’s just how we rolled back then

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian AV

Ian AV

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
I used to listen to everything flat so I could hear all of the sonics as mixed and released by the artists

And then I finally said no way I’m not doing this anymore

When I’m playing David Bowie‘s modern love, I want that song to kick in and make me dance

That’s the right way to listen to music is for me
For sure. Feeling the music adds significantly to the overall listening experience. The surprise of a sharp snare drum snap does it for me too.

wescandela

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
For sure. Feeling the music adds significantly to the overall listening experience. The surprise of a sharp snare drum snap does it for me too.
✊✊✊❤️❤️❤️

Oh absolutely, Ian
Whether it’s Rage Against The Machine evil Empire on super audio CD, or it’s Dire Straits Brothers In Arms especially from mobile Fidelity sound labs…
Who in my opinion should be getting much more credit than they deserve and should have a documentary done on them and their proces…

Or the Beatles remixes starting with Sergeant Pepper, all the way through to rRevolver,

my choice of EQ settings will alter depending on the music. I’m listening to.

But I personally feel like you’re losing tons of information if you don’t listen with a DAC and the proper headphones or speakers
i’m now invested in-ear monitors because I can hear every nuance of the music.

I had a pair of Shure SE535s that I mistakenly lent out to a person that was not a true friend

They went away for the weekend and came home without them

$500 gone

While they listened to the beautiful 50th anniversary of dark side of the moon, which I provided for them, they could not believe the details they were hearing

The drinking started apparently after one night and the earbuds I lent him we’re supposed to be in his shaving kit

I don’t lend out my earbuds anymore

lensview

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
I used to listen to everything flat, so I could hear all of the sonics as mixed and released by the artists

And then I finally said no way, I’m not doing this anymore

When I’m playing David Bowie‘s Modern Love, I want that song to kick in and make me dance

That’s the “right way” for me. but to each their own

I think it depends on what exactly you wanna hear and what your equipment can reproduce accurately.

If I’m listening to high-resolution music, I listen through a DAC (the dragonfly, cobalt) to make sure that I can hear all of the sonic information in the higher sample & Bit rates.

And normally when I first listen to high resolution music, I listen wth no EQ.

But then the itch begins.

And I start to slowly play with the graphic equalizer, speaking as a child of the 80s.
that’s just how we rolled back then
So, Wes, if you feel that the sound made by your playback system isn't doing it for you, if re-imaging the sound is your thing then, by all means, go for it. By the way, do i understand correctly that you are listening with mini-speakers attached to our ears? If so, how do you come to feel a bass drum thumping your chest? I'm guessing that your imagination does the work for you. But I honestly don't know and have often wondered how people have a visceral response to sound that they hear only with their ears.

wescandela

Apr 24, 2024
Visit site
So, Wes, if you feel that the sound made by your playback system isn't doing it for you, if re-imaging the sound is your thing then, by all means, go for it.
Yes. That’s what I do.

By the way, do i understand correctly that you are listening with mini-speakers attached to our ears?
When I’m on the go I listen to music via Shute SE846 earbuds, yes.
They don’t attach to the ears, rather the are encased in a plastic casing, and a nozzle sticks in you’re ear canal.

IMG_6395.png

IMG_6396.png

If so, how do you come to feel a bass drum thumping your chest?

Trust me.
The reproduction of sound is incredible.
Two subwoofers, one mid range and one high end tweeter in each ear make up the 4 mini drivers in this beast.
I'm guessing that your imagination does the work for you.

I mean, you would have to guess until you heard and felt.
But I honestly don't know and have often wondered how people have a visceral response to sound that they hear only with their ears.
It depends on the tech and the volume, the quality of the tech of the ear buds.

If they didn’t reproduce the sound I hear and feel, I wouldn’t have stuck with ear buds and inverse monitors for so long.

It is different than listening to your home theater and subwoofer reproduce the sound, however, there are many times I’ve watched films on my home theater set up

Then listened with the in-ear monitors… and have picked up more nuances of the soundtrack

But again, you would have to hear for yourself in order to really get it and it’s not for everybody

Last edited:

lensview

Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
My experience is that one's imagination is a very creative and forgiving mechanism and is able to fill in gaps resulting from any playback system, regardless of quality, medium or cost.

That said, you're right that I should try to hear all this for myself instead of trying to convince myself of my prejudice. In the past. I have never been able to satisfy myself of bass reproduction with earbuds since they have never been able to fit properly so I have put it off semi-indefinitely.

As to the fit, I can see why applying your own EQ is of help since it seems unlikely that a perfect or consistent seal can be obtained. On the other hand I can see a clarity advantage to a serious earbud speaker versus loudspeakers that have to deal with room variations as well as extraneous noises.

The best over-the-ear speak I've ever heard -- and this was some years ago prior to the high-res sources available these days -- impressed me no end as to their ability to create a unique and compelling sonic universe, so I can well imagine that what you have can do much the same, only better, though I still believe that your impression that you have chest-thumping bass is "all in your head."

Gray

Hi Fidelity means true to the original.
It follows that anything other than neutral reproduction can't be right.
It's as clear cut and simple as that.

Taste in the tonal balance of reproduced sound, is a different matter (and there's no accounting for taste).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts