Is there no way to get DD or DTS out of Amazon Prime?

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site
That's all my amp supports. I've been going round in circles, first trying to get it to work through my PC, then finding ss doesn't work at all through it it, then ordering and then cancelling a Fire Stick when I found out that won't give me what I need either. All I want to do watch movies on my projector and get DTS or DD sound through my amp. All I'm getting are obstacles! I Thought streaming services were supposed to be the way to do things now, and better than physical discs? They aren't!

I am considering cancelling my Prime subscription now, as I only really signed up for Star Trek, and god knows when the next season of that will show up.

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site
I think I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry. I Googled this place after getting zero replies on another forum, despite nearly a hundred views.

Tonestar1

Streaming services have a way to go before they match physical media. I do get DD, DTS and Atmos sometimes through streaming services, but its dependant on what content you watch. It's also compressed so never top quality.

abacus

Have a YouView TV box and it works fine, also have Chromecast (Original) and the Amazon App on my Tablet (Android) and again no problem. (Amazon Firestick also passes through DD over HDMI)

Have you set your streaming devices to output bitstream over HDMI and your receiver to receive bitstream over HDMI? (Streaming services do not decode DD etc. just pass it through HDMI over bitstream, and the receiver does the decoding)

Bill

Reactions: Deleted member 2457
D

Deleted member 2457

Have a YouView TV box and it works fine, also have Chromecast (Original) and the Amazon App on my Tablet (Android) and again no problem. (Amazon Firestick also passes through DD over HDMI)

Have you set your streaming devices to output bitstream over HDMI and your receiver to receive bitstream over HDMI? (Streaming services do not decode DD etc. just pass it through HDMI over bitstream, and the receiver does the decoding)

Bill
Do you know what Apple TV does via the built in App on the TV? Thanks Bill

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site

Bill

I haven't actually been able to try it yet. I've been trying to work out by reading things on the internet whether it would work or not, so I know if I'm wasting my time and money buying the kit. I've only tried it with my PC, and from what I've read that won't work at all.

abacus

I haven't actually been able to try it yet. I've been trying to work out by reading things on the internet whether it would work or not, so I know if I'm wasting my time and money buying the kit. I've only tried it with my PC, and from what I've read that won't work at all.

Amazon Prime support for Windows is pretty naff, so I wouldn’t even bother trying as there are plenty of other ways to watch it for little cost. (If you have a smart TV there may already be an app for it on-board or downloadable)

Bill

Bungle73

Nov 20, 2020
Visit site
Amazon Prime support for Windows is pretty naff, so I wouldn’t even bother trying as there are plenty of other ways to watch it for little cost. (If you have a smart TV there may already be an app for it on-board or downloadable)

Bill

I don't have a smart TV, only a Sky Q box, which only has Netflix, no Prime.

manicm

In general, to get DTS you need a TV which will output full fat DTS - and believe it or not, not many do.

Most TVs do output DD, but fewer output Dolby Digital Plus - which is required to get 5.1 out of Netflix etc.

TRENDING THREADS