Is there any benefit of trying to upgrade my TT further?

Just wondering with the ClearAudio on the Pro-ject whether it's worth (both financially and practicality-wise) going the extra yard or two and customizing the TT. I've a standard rubber platter and I know acrylic ones can produce better quality...

Opinions please.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's generally accepted that the deck itself is the most important part of the equation, with the most influence on the sound quality. It's then followed bybthe arm, and then the cartridge. Based on that, I'd say a deck change is the best way to go. It's no good getting the best arm and cart if the deck itself is holding everything back.
I know there will be some that will disagree with this and say that it's the cart pulling the detail off the record, and that all the deck has to do is make the plastic go round, but finely engineered bearings and bearing housing, along with a correctly weighted platter, a vibration resistant plinth/chassis/sub chassis, and a power supply that supplies a smooth supply to the motor all play their part. Let's not forget the geometry of the deck as well.

That seems to be a logical sequence. There are those who will argue (not me :) ) that in practise it doesn't quite work that way.

It's a resemblence to the CD/speaker question: Some are adament CDPs are the better upgrade, because any of the music lost from here cannot be restored just cause you have cracking speakers.

Given the TT I have at the moment and other kit, what sort of price range should I be looking at to achieve a substantial upgrade? (notice I have carefully avoided naming known brands ;) )

A

Anonymous

Is your turntable on a solid shelf? That's what tends to improve solid plinth turntables the most, that and sorbothane feet.

The Clearaudio Concept would be a nice upgrade, as would the Roksan Radius that you sometimes find at decent prices - seems to be a deck that's well out of fashion on the forums for no good reason I can see.

Grottyash said:
Is your turntable on a solid shelf? That's what tends to improve solid plinth turntables the most, that and sorbothane feet.

The Clearaudio Concept would be a nice upgrade, as would the Roksan Radius that you sometimes find at decent prices - seems to be a deck that's well out of fashion on the forums for no good reason I can see.

Yup, see my Avatar. That is my actual rack (quite old pic).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts