Is the noise cancelling over ear Bluetooth for 100 pounds

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
....or rather is there good over ear Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones for 100 pounds.

My father wants to get a pair, I know we are not going to get cutting edge sound, but if they are reasonable and comfortable he'd be happy. He wears hearing aids so big cups is important

Thanks

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
....or rather is there good over ear Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones for 100 pounds.

My father wants to get a pair, I know we are not going to get cutting edge sound, but if they are reasonable and comfortable he'd be happy. He wears hearing aids so big cups is important

Thanks

Sennheiser has a HD4.4 around that price, and Sennheiser is a top brand for build quality etc., but since I haven't heard it and some Sennheisers have reduced treble, there's a possibility it might not be clear enough for people with limited hearing.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
dalethorn said:
muljao said:

Thanks

Sennheiser has a HD4.4 around that price, and Sennheiser is a top brand for build quality etc., but since I haven't heard it and some Sennheisers have reduced treble, there's a possibility it might not be clear enough for people with limited hearing.
These look like they could be exactly what I need. Thanks very much for the reply

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
Just realised these don't have the noise cancelling. Back to the drawing board :)

You're pushing the price way up, to meet all your requirements and still have a quality sound suitable for the person who needs it.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, Bluetooth and noise reduction are a must. If I have to up the budget I will.

My father is hard of hearing but his hearing aids are very good and sort this. Ear bud type ones are not suitable for him, he can wear over ear type headphone. He needs hearing aids in to use them, but traveling on the train sounds get in. He travels long distance as he is retired, so wants something he can use for music and download TV when traveling to block out the train noise etc

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
Thanks Dale,

if you were to recommend something at the lowest budget that may fill the criteria, what would you recommend?

The Bose QC35 is probably the only solution. There are cheaper, but their qualities are unknown to me. In the end, most people who find cheaper end up spending more fixing unexpected issues.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
dalethorn said:
muljao said:
Thanks Dale,

if you were to recommend something at the lowest budget that may fill the criteria, what would you recommend?

The Bose QC35 is probably the only solution.  There are cheaper, but their qualities are unknown to me.  In the end, most people who find cheaper end up spending more fixing unexpected issues.

I think you may be correct ;)

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
dalethorn said:
muljao said:
Thanks Dale,

The Bose QC35 is probably the only solution. There are cheaper, but their qualities are unknown to me. In the end, most people who find cheaper end up spending more fixing unexpected issues.

I think you may be correct ;)

I checked Amazon for Bluetooth noise-canceling headphones, and after subtracting out the on-ears and the truly awful brands, settled on a couple of Sony's that were around £109 and £179. Amazon tries to block purchases from other sources in their reviews, but sometimes it's good to look at those too.

Anyway, one thing I do is start with the 1-star reviews to see what the complaints are there, then check the 2-star reviews and so on. After you wade through 50 or so you'll see the patterns and be able to see where the real limitations are.

One tip that nobody ever mentions: While the QC35 noise canceling is exceptional on public transit and so on, trying to listen outdoors in wind might be a problem, because the headphone uses mics on the outside to monitor and correct ambient noise. I've been in windy situations outdoors where a standard closed-back headphone is better.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I ordered him a set of Sony MDR-ZX770BN last night from Amazon for 109 pounds. From what I can see they tick the boxes and get reasonable reviews. The cups look big and comfort was mentioned as a plus point on the few reviews​I could find on the interwebz.

My father would not be the most demanding listener. Reasonable sound will do, comfort is far more important.

For anyone that might be interested, I'll give these a spin when he gets them and let a quick few words on impression here.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts