Is the Denon DM37 an attacking amplifier?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, I use a Denon DM37 for listening in my bedroom, I have it connected to Tannoy Mercury Custom speakers. I usually listen to CD’s or via the USB port on the front but I find the sound can get a bit tiresome to my tastes after a while.

I actually prefer listening to my main system which is via a Sony STR 2400 AV Receiver it seems to deliver a slower but more powerful and expansive sound.

Is this because the Denon is relatively low powered? Would a more powerful stereo amplifier not get tiresome or should I be looking for amplifiers with a more sedate delivery?

The Denon itself is not really described as an attacking amplifier so I am a bit at a loss.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

smiley-laughing.gif

haha perhaps that wasn't the best way to describe it but it was all I could think of I'm afraid.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I had the same set-up in my bedroom and never found it tiresome, apart from the idiotically large increments on the digitised volume control.

What don't you like or find missing about it?

A

Anonymous

Hi Sizzers and thanks for the reply.

Totally agree about the volume control it is hard to set it exactly where I wanted it. I just feel that the Denon lacks some warmth, it's a very good listen and quite exciting but after awhile I find I am not enjoying it. Perhaps its just me, but I just can't seem to get quite happy with it.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard the denon. However, what you're describing sounds very much like the sound signature I like.

As I'm a big fan of arcam and their mini system is highly rated, that's what I would recommend you listen to.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply, arcam do seem to be associated with the sound style I am after. The solo is currently out of my price range but I will look around for possibly older arcam amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts