Is the Caspian M2 worth double the Kandy K2 ?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Right.....now narrowed my new cd player dilemma down to two, Caspian M2 or the Kandy K2.....I was almost ready to take the plunge and go for the M2 when Roksan moved the goalposts by reducing the Kandy from £900 to £750....so the M2 at nearly £1600 is more than double the price......is it worth it ? And if so why exactly what differences can I expect to hear ?

Whichever CDP I choose will be partnered with a Kandy K2 amp and MA Mezzo 6 speakers......

Help

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The Kandy K2 would be a good match for the rest of your system. Is there any chance you can audition both before you decide? The Caspian M2 is a stunning amp and offers a smoother, more detailed, and grander sound to my ears, but it's always worth having a listen for yourself if you can
emotion-21.gif

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
lcd4ever:Thanks Audio Affair, but it was the M2 cd player I was looking at, only bought my Kandy amp just over a year ago so will be keeping for a while yet

Oops sorry - missed the reference to CDP. In that case the simple answer is yes. The M2 CD is quite probably the best CD player Roksan have ever designed and moves the goalposts for redbook CD replay at this level. The Kandy K2 will still be a fine match for your system, but if you've got a large CD collection and want to buy a player you could keep for say 5+ years and build the rest of your future upgrades around it, the Caspian M2 might be just the ticket.

Still worth a demo though!
emotion-1.gif

Campaign

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
How do the mezzo's sound with the K2 amplifier ? I think the mezzo's are a lovely speaker but they can sound bass light with certain amplifiers, I imagine the K2 might just be the right character for the mezzos ? I have heard the mezzo 6 with Chord Electronics amplification and the sound was fantastic, like the amplifier allowed the speakers to show what they could really do. I'm looking for the same sound without the hefty price tag, im thinking the K2 or the Marantz Pearl Lite. Sorry to hijack your thread but im interested in hearing your opinion. In regards to your situation, personally I would imagine that the K2 CD player and the new Rega DAC would be a better and more cost effective bet. I'm sure the Caspian is brilliant but the K2 has been very well rated in reviews in other magazines and is a snip at under 800 pound.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Campaign......the Mezzos sound great to my ears with my Kandy 2 amp, they also sound great on film duties with my Yamaha, they are very natural sounding, but can get right down there with the base when needed to, I rarely switch on my sub these days(wife hates it on, comprimise I suppose). the Kandy has a very spacious, airy sound which I love.

Good to hear the M2 is 'analytical' as this is what I'm looking for.(almost considered the Cyrus 6, for its detail, but I think it would be way to 'top heavy' with the Mezzos, plus it looks like a 'Blue Peter', build an amp from a shoe-box project)...would hate to get the Kandy cdp then think....what if????

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

was recently in same position, auditioned Kandy cd amp against caspian m2 cd amp with B&W 684 , I thought the Caspian was vastly superior in analysis, drive, timing and a thrilling listen.Had listened to the Cyrus and found it a bit boring , good detail but not much warmth, was very impressed with Naim cd5i, I would give this a listen if you like the roksan sound as I nearly went there myself but is hard to find people who stock both.

I also was struggling to like the look of thhe Kandy but each to his own, good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts