Is the Roksan Caspian m2 work the extra money over the kandy k2

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I am buying a stereo amp and I am down to a short list but need some advice I am buying some 684 or 683 to upgrade my 685s

Am I better with and what is best value for money

1. Roksan Caspian m2
2. Roksan Kandy K2
3. Rotel ra1520
4. Music fidelity m3i

Please help with you opinion.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

In answer to your initial question, yes if you are willing to spend the extra.

I was looking for amps last year and got to Naim 5i, too quirky, Kandy k2, didn't like the looks and Leema Pulse but all were good but nothing thrilled me and was getting a bit confused.

I decided to see if spending the extra on either a Naim xs or Roksan Caspian would give me what I was looking for bearing in mind most amps I have had for minimum of 10 years.

There was some improvement with the xs over the 5i but it was a step up, when I heard the Caspian next to the Kandy the difference was staggering, bigger louder, more dynamic more detail, more emotion. I couldn't stop listening to the set up ,huge smile on my face and all the confusion had dissappeared, I had found what I was looking for.

All very subjective but in my mind the Caspian is worth the extra, go listen to it next to a Kandy, the difference is a joy.

I heard the M3 and found it too smooth for my tastes, I have had Rotels before but have never loved them and I have not heard the 1520 but I adore my Caspian. Good Luck

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I did hear the Caspian with 684's and it will drive them superbly but you will not be getting the best out of the amp but I don't think you will be dissapointed,

Have fun

Leehallam said:
I am buying a stereo amp and I am down to a short list but need some advice I am buying some 684 or 683 to upgrade my 685s Am I better with and what is best value for money 1. Roksan Caspian m2 2. Roksan Kandy K2 3. Rotel ra1520 4. Music fidelity m3i Please help with you opinion.

In addition to Shanka's comments, the Caspian doesn't have a built-in phono stage, the Kandy does.

Some have said the Caspian can sound bright but I've heard M1 with MA GS10, Spendor SA-1 and PMC and the alleged brightness wasn't apparent to me.

Based on the price difference the Caspian is the one to choose, as long as it has all the inputs you need. Otherwise I'd look at Rotel (the natural partner to B&W) or Leema Pulse which has a superb phono stage and just sounds great with the right partners.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
The original M1 was a step up from the Kandy which is why I bought one and IMO will be better than a bi-amped Kandy (as per your previous post). I have not heard the Rotel but understand that they work well with Bowers speakers. You need to get some demos organised.
The Caspian lacks a Phono line so you will need to count that as an extra. As you are also upgrading your speakers at the same time you need to demo both together if possible. The difference in price between 684s & 683s would be enough for a decent phono stage.
If you can afford a Caspian (or similar) and buy cheaper you will always wonder whether you are missing something.
I have 684 speakers and the Caspian drives them well.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
The original M1 was a step up from the Kandy which is why I bought one and IMO will be better than a bi-amped Kandy (as per your previous post). I have not heard the Rotel but understand that they work well with Bowers speakers. You need to get some demos organised.
The Caspian lacks a Phono line so you will need to count that as an extra. As you are also upgrading your speakers at the same time you need to demo both together if possible. The difference in price between 684s & 683s would be enough for a decent phono stage.
If you can afford a Caspian (or similar) and buy cheaper you will always wonder whether you are missing something.
I have 684 speakers and the Caspian drives them well.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
I prefer the sound of the Caspian, but that is both a combination of preferred type of sound produced and improved quality of the Kandy. It is only down to both factors that pushes me to think it is worth it. If it was only improved quality and I didn’t prefer the type of sound then no I don’t think it would be worth the money.

SteveR750

Exactly the same question I am asking myself, though have added in a list of used amps into the equation (supernait, Moon to name two).

I guess it would be easy to sell my Kandy K2 given it's latest award status.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts