What CD player....that old chesnut....?

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Currently feel mt NAD C545BEE is the weakest link in my system, have the Kandy K2 amp and MS Mezzo 6 speakers, looking to upgrade, feel my best options in the £1000 bracket are...

Kandy K2 cdp

new Audiolab 8000e at £750 a bargain perhaps

Naim Nait 5i2

or if it was really a huge improvement might stretch to the new Roksan Caspian M2 just wondering though if I wouldn't get the best out of it with the K2 amp.......

any thoughts....

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
audiolab 8200 cd or if you can afford it roksan m2...(i guess audiolab will be ok and well balanced with your system.)

one final and wise choice could also be adding a dac , rega dac in particular costing £500 (if not mistaken) to your existing player ... dunno if it hosts a coaxial out, i guess so, any way HUGE improvement..

if i were you i would get a dac, in case you strongly want to buy a player don't spend toomuch for one , especially nowadays ..

lcd4ever:

Currently feel mt NAD C545BEE is the weakest link in my system, have the Kandy K2 amp and MS Mezzo 6 speakers, looking to upgrade, feel my best options in the £1000 bracket are...

Kandy K2 cdp

new Audiolab 8000e at £750 a bargain perhaps

Naim Nait 5i2

or if it was really a huge improvement might stretch to the new Roksan Caspian M2 just wondering though if I wouldn't get the best out of it with the K2 amp.......

any thoughts....

Not heard the Audiolab, although it's a corker by all accounts. Worth trying the K2 CDP or even the Exposure 2010S2.As always, you need to audition.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
lcd4ever:
Currently feel mt NAD C545BEE is the weakest link in my system

What makes you feel that the Nad is the weakest link in your system? Have you heard it against other CDP's or is it just because its considered to be more of a budget CDP. You might be surprised at how good the Nad sounds, even against more expensive CDP's. You should definitely compare it against the other units you mention and form your own conclusions.

T

the record spot

New DAC, keep the NAD as a transport. Stello DA100, or similar.

A

Anonymous

I second that - get a dac. You can then use it with your dvd/satellite/pvr/computer/playstation etc. There are tons of really good ones nowadays at all price ranges

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all, really don't want to go down the DAC route; call me old fashioned, just prefer players....

The NAD sounds good but not great, I have 3 other cd players in use in other systems....all Arcam...so I guess I just find the NAD a little 'harsh' next to the smoother Arcam; whereas I find the NAD more detailed than the Arcams. When I play a cd through my Denon BD1600, it actually sounds better, but lacks real bite with rock cds.

Really starting to like the Roksan Caspian M2....but its a lot of money......

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
If you want great detail but nothing too harsh I recommend considering the Primare CD31. As it's being replaced, you should be able to find one, at the very least ex demo, inside your budget.

T

the record spot

Fairly dos, in that case, Harman's HD990. Great spec for the money and The Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh are doing this once £500 player for £299 (and for limited time, get a further 10% off at checkout, so £270 bar a pound or so). The 990s a cracking player, nice sound, deep bass, lovely midrange, nice treble - it'd be right on the shortlist were I looking for one. Cracking functionality too.

TRENDING THREADS