Is the 1080p TV Going The Same Way as the Cathode Ray Tube?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Samsung 55 inch 4K TV for US$1100 plus tax, which woorks out at about GBP765 total. Not the latest model, but still a 2015-er. I can remember paying almost that (maybe more) for a 16:9 CATHODE RAY TV back in the late 90s. 4K TVs here in the US are now selling for LESS than 1080p sets were two years ago.

Oh yeah, WHF journos take note, I said 3D TV was a short lived gimmick, and it turned out to be. I don't think 4K itself will be a gimmick (any more than switching from black and white to colour or mono to stereo proved to be), but I DO think the curved TVs are a gimmick, and that's why we bought another flat one.

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
If someone is exclusively watching on Netflix and Hulu type of services...no matter what kind of UHD tv you have, the internet speed is going to be the bottlle neck I think. My 1080p stuggles and buffers ..wonder what will be the case with other formats that demand higer bandwidth?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Postcode (or zip code in my case) lottery.

We happen to live in Houston, Texas, the fourth largest city in the US, where internet is pretty darned good. We pay for 150 megabits per second with no monthly cap on usage. What we get depends on the time of day, with post school hours, say 3 pm to 6 pm being the slowest, due to demand at the hubs or whatever they're called. Our new house is quite a distance away, but our old one happened to be in a neighbourhood nicknamed "Compaq" because, wait for it, Compaq's HQ used to be just up the road. Broadband there was, as you can quite imagine, pretty exceptional.

In Stonehaven, just south of Aberdeen, the post school effect was even more pronounced, with the broadband grinding to a halt at three, not picking up again until nine or ten at night.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts