Is the 1080p TV Going The Same Way as the Cathode Ray Tube?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
All the "HD Ready", 1080i, 720p, 720i TVs have, thankfully, disappeared.

I was in Bestbuy (think Currys or Comet before they went bust) here in the US, browsing for a new TV yestrday, and it struck me how the "old" 1080p TV sets were pushed to the back, more or less out of sight. It also struck me how cheap the 4K TVs are becoming - basically you can now buy a new 4K TV - all be not "top of the range" for the same price or less than you would have paid for a 1080p TV only a couple of years ago.

So - is the 1080p TV on the way out?

When - if they are even going to bother - the broadcasters going to catch up?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Here is my take on it, more and more tvs will become 4K or UHD, 2016/2017 ect, but i don't think 1080p sets will become extinct not yet anyway, i can't see the smaller sets being 4K, 32" or smaller being 4k and i don't think 4K broadcast will be available for a while anyway, CRT was a product which i am quite glad to see the back of but i think a lot of HD channels are still broadcast in 720p which can still look good on a UHD tv.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Not splitting hairs between UHD, 4K and 2160p, that's for the pedants.

As for size, I already have two 28 inch 4K (well, 3840 x 2160) computer monitors, so small size 4K is definitely on the way. Not suggesting we're going to go back to watching 12 or even 6-inch portables, but...

Come to think of it, I can remember my dad buying an ultra-expensive Saba 26-inch colour CRT TV back in the 70s. TWENTY SIX inches. We thought it was HUGE. It took two blokes in brown coats from the House of Frasier in Bournemouth to carry it in and all morning for them to fine-tune it to the test card. The neighbours thought we were snobs. I'm looking at a 26-inch computer TV monitor as I type this. Can't imagine watching vintage Doctor Who from the other side of the room on it nowadays....

Anyway, over here, Netflix is already starting to stream some content in 4K, maybe just upscaled, I don't know.

However, knowing the way things work, maybe the HD broadcasters and manufacturers will just connive to leap-frog 4K altogether and start broadcasting in 8K, meaning all our 4K TVs will be obsolescent and we all have to go out and buy 8K TVs in two years time. Oh how cynical I'm getting in old age....

daveh75

simonlewis said:
i don't think 4K broadcast will be available for a while anyway,

UHD broadcasting is already here with the likes of BT Sport and an ever growing number of channels launching globally.

Then of course there's increasing amount of on demand content from the likes of Netflix, Amazon and YouTube, which I think will be the main medium for UHD/4K content.

i think a lot of HD channels are still broadcast in 720p which can still look good on a UHD tv.

They're 1080i, with the exception of Freeview HD where they dynamically switch between 1080i and 1080p (@ 25fps)

kkent

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
It seems we have the video resolution war now*dirol* 4k actually isn’t heavily promoted .Higher resolution means the screen can generally display a higher-quality image. However, the thing about resolution is that bigger isn't necessary better. That depends on a host of factors, including how good your eyesight is, how big the screen is, and how close you're sitting to it. I also don't necessarily want to sit two feet from my television. I stay neutral about 4K right now.:)

kkent said:
It seems we have the video resolution war now*dirol*  4k actually isn’t  heavily promoted .Higher resolution means the screen can generally display a higher-quality image. However, the thing about resolution is that bigger isn't necessary better. That depends on a host of factors, including how good your eyesight is, how big the screen is, and how close you're sitting to it. I also don't necessarily want to sit two feet from my television.  I stay neutral about 4K right now.:)
.....and what resolution the source is.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I definitely prefer my 4K TV to my 1080p TV to my 625 lines CRT. Both my TV and BDP upscale to 4K, and I can get 4K over the internerd.

On my computer I really enjoy having a 4K display for CAD and GIS work, small type, etc. Only problem is that on some software the "buttons" get so small I can hardly see them...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Not to be pedantic, but one is a resolution while the other is a technology. In other words, I'm not sure it's a valid comparison.

Standard definition still comprises the bulk of UK broadcast content. To the best of my knowledge, the same remains true in the US.

1080p will stick around for a decade at least, and you'll be able to view 1080p and 1080i content on a 4K TV (even if/when 4K becomes the de facto broadcast/streaming/BD resolution). Programmes shot in 1080p will still feature heavily in broadcasting schedules, particularly once you factor in repeats.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Not to be pedantic, but one is a resolution while the other is a technology. In other words, I'm not sure it's a valid comparison.

Standard definition still comprises the bulk of UK broadcast content. To the best of my knowledge, the same remains true in the US.

And some Standard Definition channels (like Quest, Yesterday, truTV, CBS Action, Channel 5), which I watch on Freeview (I don't have Sky or Virgin) can still look quite decent on my three Full HD and my one HD Ready televisions.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I bought a brand new TV recently - from Sony's latest range - and after much deliberation I chose to buy a 1080p set. There's simply not enough content yet to justify a 4K set - especially at the stupidly expensive prices currently charged for the size of set i wanted (75in)

The picture quality (after calibration) is absolutely stunning - i'll be more than happy enough to live with it for a few years, then buy into 4K if/when there's loads more content AND large-screen TV prices have come down to sensible levels.

If I hadn't had to buy a new set (my faithful projector died on me), i would have waited. By next summer there'll be much more choice of content AND much better value sets, at every size...

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome said:
I bought a brand new TV recently - from Sony's latest range - and after much deliberation I chose to buy a 1080p set. There's simply not enough content yet to justify a 4K set - especially at the stupidly expensive prices currently charged for the size of set i wanted (75in)

The picture quality (after calibration) is absolutely stunning - i'll be more than happy enough to live with it for a few years, then buy into 4K if/when there's loads more content AND large-screen TV prices have come down to sensible levels.

If I hadn't had to buy a new set (my faithful projector died on me), i would have waited. By next summer there'll be much more choice of content AND much better value sets, at every size...
Which model is the Sony Clare?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
the same remains true in the US.

To (mis)quote (and update) Roger Waters "I've got 240 channels of [ahem] on the TV to choose from".

Most of the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.) and the main cable channels all switched to 1080p years ago. I think even flipping "Duck Dynasty" (avoid like the plague) is available in 1080p.

We've given up on cable. We're getting an old-fashioned aeriel to go in the roof for the networks and local channels and we've added Roku and Netflix over the internerd. I MAY look at Amazon Fire before Chrimbo, mainly so I can watch HBO over the internerd without having to buy those other 239 channels of [ahem] I mention above as well as part of some package deal (upwards of 160 quid a month plus the rental fees for those set-top boxes and all the taxes on top of all that).

Over here Bestbuy will sell you a flat 75-inch 1080p TV for between $2200 and $3500 plus tax, whereas a flat 75-inch 4K TV will set you back between $3300 and $5000 plus tax, excluding the Sony with the "big"speakers on the side, which is $7000, so the cheapest 4K TV is now cheaper than the most expensive 1080p TV. OLEDs really haven't made a mark here yet, though.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:

Greetings Ms Newsome!

You are the only other person I know of who wanted, or wants, a 75" television. Some of the chaps on here will have heard that when I access some of my pension money in January, I will be getting a 75-inch set (my current largest set is a Panasonic 65VT65) but I had been thinking of a 4K set, as advised by some shop staff whom I do not blame. I'd been thinking of various Samsung and Sony (flat, not curved!!) 75" 4K sets. So, as the only person I know with a 75" set, please can I ask:

1, How does it perform with Blu-rays?

2. And with DVDs?

3. And with Freeview and Freeview HD? The reason for these first three questions is that I've read that maybe televisions of "only" 1080p resolution begin to struggle a bit at sizes bigger than my current 65"?

4. What are the black levels like? And the contrast?

5. Evenness of the backlight? It's an edge-lit LED, I believe.

6. How good is it with 3D? I know that no glasses are supplied, but maybe you've bought a suitable pair?

7. How narrow is the viewing angle until the picture begins to lose colour? 20 degrees, 30 degrees? In the What Hi-Fi review of the 65-inch size they mentioned tight viewing anges.

8. I'm not sure if you've had a professional calibration (with someone coming to your house with a colour meter, calibration software etc) or whether you have used something like a THX calibration disc? (When I buy my next television I'll be getting both it and my current Panasonic professionally calibrated, it's relatively cheaper in bulk!)

9 (and last!) A philosphical rather than specific question - had you seen this TV in action before you bought it, at the 75" size? Or had you seen only a smaller size on demonstration? If so, where had you seen it, John Lewis maybe?

Sorry for so many questions, and thank you in advance!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Answers in BOLD below!

Son_of_SJ said:
[

1, How does it perform with Blu-rays?
Fantastically well - punchy, dynamic picture. Cinema Pro mode is excellent for evening viewing of BDs

2. And with DVDs?
Wouldn't know - never watch any; all HD here!

3. And with Freeview and Freeview HD? The reason for these first three questions is that I've read that maybe televisions of "only" 1080p resolution begin to struggle a bit at sizes bigger than my current 65"?
Don't use Freeview, but it's fine with 'everyday' Sky, Netflix etc

4. What are the black levels like? And the contrast?
Better after professional calibration - and using right picture mode. Never going to match plasma/OLED levels, but great by LCD standards

5. Evenness of the backlight? It's an edge-lit LED, I believe.
Yep. Touch of flare around edges at times - but only noticeable in very dark scenes, while viewing at night. Nothing that has me running screaming from room :)

6. How good is it with 3D? I know that no glasses are supplied, but maybe you've bought a suitable pair?
I wouldn't know: hate 3D

7. How narrow is the viewing angle until the picture begins to lose colour? 20 degrees, 30 degrees? In the What Hi-Fi review of the 65-inch size they mentioned tight viewing anges.
Much wider viewing angle than I was used to with a projector! Haven't got my protractor out to measure it, but we've had groups of people watching in room with no complaints...

8. I'm not sure if you've had a professional calibration (with someone coming to your house with a colour meter, calibration software etc) or whether you have used something like a THX calibration disc? (When I buy my next television I'll be getting both it and my current Panasonic professionally calibrated, it's relatively cheaper in bulk!)
Had it professionally calibrated by the wonderful Vincent Teoh of HDTV Test - he's got all the kit; well worth the £.

9 (and last!) A philosphical rather than specific question - had you seen this TV in action before you bought it, at the 75" size? Or had you seen only a smaller size on demonstration? If so, where had you seen it, John Lewis maybe?
I saw it at CES back in January!

Sorry for so many questions, and thank you in advance!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Clare Newsome said:
Sony KDL-75W855C

Interesting!! Why not another projector?

We're shortly moving to a new place with LOADS of windows: projectors just wouldn't have been feasible. Also, TV quality has improved so much in past few years, at same time as price of larger sets has fallen: would be hard to find a £2K projector that could match the picture of the Sony....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
We're shortly moving to a new place with LOADS of windows ...

the-shard.jpg

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Ms Newsome, thanks muchly for all your answers to me and to bigboss. I'm glad that you got your 75" Sony calibrated, and by Mr Teoh, I hear that he is very good. It must have been one of the bigger televisions that he has calibrated recently!

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I have loads of 3D movies now and love them tbh.

Will 4k TV even properly take-off ?

I ask this question because for me (unlike our Clare) you know that I love 3D but from what I saw 3d was never properly 'pushed' and even when the 3D was advertised the TV sets cost a packet !

Right now the better bigger TV sets that are 4K are mega bucks.... very very expensive for the common 5/8th's to even comprehend buying, same as it was for the 3D TV's a while ago...... so the question : Will 4K ever propery take-off or will it just be the folks with a good few bob to burn as it were who actually buy them ?

Will it not be that over the next decade or so be the likes of OLED TV's and 8K TV's that will be getting promoted rather then mere 4K TV's ?

TRENDING THREADS