Is that the end of blu-ray ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I assume any 4K physical disk technology will be backwards compatible with Blu-ray (just as DVDs can be played on Blu-ray machines) and therefore compatible with DVDs too.

The death of DVD has not happened yet and many new releases still only come out on DVD.

A lot of what I buy is still only made on DVD (especially some TV series). The fact that Blu-ray is a superior format isn't going to stop me buying DVDs (or watching my large collection of old ones).

Now and then I will 'upgrade' existing DVDs wth Blu-ray versions (especially if they are 3 for £20) and - occasionally - the chance comes along to upgrade DVD TV series to Blu-ray (but not very often).

I have a very eclectic mix in my collection (everything from farming in Sussex in the 1950s to the latest film or TV series to come out on Blu-ray - if I like it) and I am not going to throw away much loved DVDs (or Blu-rays) just because a new format has emerged. So long as I can stick them all in the same machine, press play and watch them, then I'm happy.

Ok, the DVDs (even after upscaling) aren't quite as good, but if that's the only format something is available on then fine.

Farming in Sussex in the 50's ?

Really Chebby ? Never had you down as a farming lover, theirs another feather in your cap.

Fascinating
smiley-surprised.gif

Totally agree with your synopsis though.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
"Less and less DVD's transferred to Bluray?"
Should be "Fewer and fewer DVDs..." just a little thing I have :)

Apologies for coming late to this thread.

DandyCobalt, your two alterations "Fewer and fewer" instead of "Less and less" and "DVDs" instead of "DVD's" are correct. However, you should have directed them at kitkat, rather than at David@FrankHarvey, who was merely quoting the OP without amendment. Just a little thing I have too!
smiley-smile.gif

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:
On the plus side, at least it means I get to buy the Star Wars trilogy, yet again; I was getting worried about old George's bank balance as he's not had any cash off me for at least 2 years now! :)

You could always grow out of Star Wars. :shifty:

Heretic!

manicm

It's not the end of Blu-ray, but home cinema newbie sods will be in for a heck of a good time in a few years when the 4k tellys will inevitably become cheaper, and the new players will be prolific.

Only thing is in a few years time there may well be 8k technology.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts