Is Rega BrioR 2017or CA 851A a step up?

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Any guidance appreciated.

Currently using bookshelf Triangle comete arpege series spkrs (90db sen.)with CA651A. Prefer listen to music at low volaume levels . Source is a Pioneer 3052CDP and DragonFly Balck (2016).Music genre is mostly Indian and Western Instrumental/Classical and rock.

Can the Brio R -2017 (no tone controls though) or CA 851A be considered a step up.

Have used Marantz,NAD entry level models before.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
nn_in said:
Any guidance appreciated.

Currently using bookshelf Triangle comete arpege  series spkrs (90db sen.)with CA651A. Prefer listen to music at low volaume levels . Source is a Pioneer 3052CDP and DragonFly Balck (2016).Music genre is mostly Indian and Western Instrumental/Classical and rock. 

Can  the Brio R -2017 (no tone controls though) or CA 851A be considered a step up.

Have used Marantz,NAD entry level models before.
yep the New rega brio is fantastic

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks.

How does Rega Brio2017 or CA851A compare to Creek Evo50A (has tone controls and optional tuner)

Is there a significant difference between Rega Brio vs Rega Brio 2017?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nn_in said:
Thanks.

How does Rega Brio2017 or CA851A compare to Creek Evo50A (has tone controls and optional tuner)

Is there a significant difference between Rega Brio vs Rega Brio 2017?

Don't think the Creek has tone controls.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
The Brio (though I haven't heard the new version) would provide something different to the CA 651A: darker, less analytical, maybe even more musical and foot-tapping. This might be something that would work better with the Triangle, which as a brand can be quite bright and forward. I haven't heard that exact model of Triangle but have heard a few in their range, as I'm living in France.

Is the CA 851A not in a whole other price level compared to the Brio, more in the league of the Rega Elex? I have heard it playing a bunch of speakers that are balanced but leaning towards the brighter side of the spectrum. It sounded great with all of them: Tannoy Revolution XT8F, Monitor Audio Silver 6, Kef R300.

I'm not sure the Triangle speakers have what it takes to show off an upgrade in amp to the CA 851A from the CA 651A, so would suggest auditioning the combination first, preferably side by side. Sure, there should be more authority and control but the general sonic signature of the two amps wont be a million miles apart.

Which leads to the question I probably should have asked at the beginning: what is it you don't like about the current combination? What is it you are looking for in terms of sound? My own hunch would be that Cambridge and Triangle isn't an ideal partnership and either/or should be changed.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
drummerman said:
Out of these I'd probably go creek.

Looks good, decent features and multiple test winner.

And the two retro-fittable options of FM/AM 'Ambit' tuner module or Ruby 2 DAC + FM module which are very attractive.

Indeed. It gets a bit pricey once everything is added but still makes for a very neat 'almost all in one'. Add a CCA and you're there.

They start coming up more frequently s/h as folks upgrade.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Muddywaterstones said:
The Brio (though I haven't heard the new version) would provide something different to the CA 651A: darker, less analytical, maybe even more musical and foot-tapping. This might be something that would work better with the Triangle, which as a brand can be quite bright and forward. I haven't heard that exact model of Triangle but have heard a few in their range, as I'm living in France.

Is the CA 851A not in a whole other price level compared to the Brio, more in the league of the Rega Elex? I have heard it playing a bunch of speakers that are balanced but leaning towards the brighter side of the spectrum. It sounded great with all of them: Tannoy Revolution XT8F, Monitor Audio Silver 6, Kef R300.

I'm not sure the Triangle speakers have what it takes to show off an upgrade in amp to the CA 851A from the CA 651A, so would suggest auditioning the combination first, preferably side by side. Sure, there should be more authority and control but the general sonic signature of the two amps wont be a million miles apart.

Which leads to the question I probably should have asked at the beginning: what is it you don't like about the current combination? What is it you are looking for in terms of sound? My own hunch would be that Cambridge and Triangle isn't an ideal partnership and either/or should be changed.

Thanks very much.Valuable info as you live in France.

CA651A and Triangle's are doing well. Infact i heard a few amps including A19 with the same spkrs and CA651A sounded better to my ears.

I wanted to audition Creek before but could not get my hands on a demo unit. I have seen posts in forums that Creek/Trinagle combo works .Was aware that 651A may not be the last work in detailing.

The change is only to evaluate if i can sqeeze more out the spkrs (90db sen.) w/o changing the source (Pio 3052 and DragonFly Dac black 2016 ver) buy maybe get a better amp.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
The reason for posting the question was

1. Considering that i would be not use the phono/vinyl section is Brio2017 a step up.Though some post show a better or seperate power supplies for pre-power and some component changes.Primary need is integarted at around 50w and if possible with tone controls.Aware that brio does not have tone controls.The fact that all the design dollars has gone into brio analog area makes it a attractive

2.Trying to make the best choise between CA851A,Brio R 2017 and Creek Evo50A Ver2.Though all are not in same price range.

nn_in said:
The reason for posting the question was

1. Considering that i would be not use the phono/vinyl section is Brio2017 a step up.Though some post show a better or seperate power supplies for pre-power and some component changes.Primary need is integarted at around 50w and if possible with tone controls.Aware that brio does not have tone controls.The fact that all the design dollars has gone into brio analog area makes it a attractive

2.Trying to make the best choise between CA851A,Brio R 2017 and Creek Evo50A Ver2.Though all are not in same price range.

It would depend on what you are going to use as a source. No point buying an amplifier where a lot of money has been spent on the phono preamp if you're never going to use it.

However, if you want a good all rounder that is going to last, I'd take the Creek.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks.

My source is a Pio 3052CDP and DragonFly DAC (Black 2016 ver).Yes i dont need the vinyl.

Creek's a good allrounder though the cost is almost 2X. This is assuming Creek Evo50A is ahead of Brio all other things being equal.

nn_in said:
Thanks.

My source is a Pio 3052CDP and DragonFly DAC (Black 2016 ver).Yes i dont need the vinyl.

Creek's a good allrounder though the cost is almost 2X. This is assuming Creek Evo50A is ahead of Brio all other things being equal.

I can appreciate the price difference, in the UK the Creek is approximately £800. This puts a lot of other good amps in contention if you only ever need it for digital connections and CD.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nn_in said:
Thanks.

Things are rarely equal :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts