Is RAM backwards compatible?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've got two Intel Quad Core 3.0 GHz CPUs looking for a home, in need of new LGA775 motherboards, as the heat and damp of Houston got to the old ones. No biggie getting the motherboards, but if I need RAM, that might get expensive. Yes the CPUs are old, but they're comprable to i5s or even earlier i7s, and ideal for my wife's business or HTPCs or just as a server for the home.

SO....

Can you put DDR4 in DDR3 slots?

Can you put DDR3 in DDR2 slots?

Can you, indeed, put DDR4 in DDR2 slots?

Not interested in going the other way, e.g. putting old DDR2 RAM into a DDR4 motherboard, but it might be useful to know.

Don't think I need go further back than that.

Usual 72-pin non ECC, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks.

abacus

NO. You can only fit what the motherboard allows, so check in the manual of your motherboard to see what type is supported.

Also make sure you get a motherboard with the correct chipset for the CPUs you have, as there are many different types. (Just because it has an LGA775 socket does not mean that the CPUs you have will work)

Bill

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Both CPUs are Intel BX80569Q9650 Q9650 Core 2 Quad Processor - 3.00 GHz,12MB Cache,1333MHz FSB,Socket LGA775.

Was thinking Gigabyte GA-G41M-D3 LGA 775 For Intel Micro ATX Motherboard DDR3 8GB Mainboard , US$53 on Fleabay.

Not sure if the mismatch in the memory speed is going to be that important for me, not like I'm going to be doing finite element analysis or anything like that. Probably just MS Office and maybe as a server.

Sorry if fonts are a bit whacky, doing cut'n'paste to make sure I got the details right :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332706654848

Intel DG43RK.

$60 + S&H

Has 1080p graphics, including HDMI, and onboard sound, so good for a basic "cooking grade" desktop PC or home server application. Specifically listed my CPUs as supported and takes up to 8 gigs of DDR3, again enough for a "cooking grade' desktop PC (my working grade PCs both have 32 gigs.

Going to build one unit to start then a second if all works out.

I already have THREE low profile HTPC cases sitting about (which I'm not using because I can't find a liquid CPU cooler radiator low-profile enough to fit inside them and regular cooling fans are too noisy for HTPC type settings), plus most of the other bits'n'pieces to build at least one, possibly two, PCs on the cheap. I MIGHT push the boat out and add 120 gig SSD boot discs if I'm feeling flush.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts