Is Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable good for listening purpose only ?

Tareq2163

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am new to this forum. Seeking some advice.

1. To me , Pioneer PLX-1000 Truntable is a good option because this is a Direct Drive and heavily built in terms of dampings. The country I live in, I cannot get any replacement belts. That is why I sold out my Pro-Ject Essential to get a Direct Drive. Now I am not sure whether a turntable meant for DJ is a good sounding one. From the reviews, it seems that this one is as close as Technics SL-1200. If that is the case, then it should be a good sounding one. But I am not so experienced in other tables.

2. If you may have other suggestions for a Dirtect Drive, please advise.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am a great fan of (well made) direct drive Turntables. They are usually extremely pitch stable with good bass and drive. Servo or quartz controlled linear trackers take this a step further still. Having said that, I love my Thorens belt drive too.

Of course its only half the story and the cartridge/arm are as important.

regards

I can understand your thoughts, but it is not as though a belt is a regular purchase. I've never had one break in 40 years of using belt drive TTs. They might need replacing every 5 years at worst, unless you live on a volcano!

And they are the lightest things to post via airmail from and to anywhere in the world. By all means choose a direct drive for other reasons, but this seems to be missing the point entirely!

Agree with nopiano. Whichever country you live in you obviously have internet access (otherwise you would not be posting here).

If you have internet access then you also have access to drive belts surely?

Not that I want to put you off direct-drive decks as some, properly executed, can do a very good job indeed (although I think none are actually made specifically for DJ's, it was just that some turned out to be more up to the job than others, like the SL1200 and so became a DJ favourite - nothing at all wrong with this as it just goes to show how good the build quality was).

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Fact is, no-one's yet heard the PLX1000. I suspect it'll be just as good as a Technics, and would tend to ignore Technics fans' comments until the Pioneer is established and heard.

Slightly confused in that Pioneer sold their dj business - does this mean this is no longer a Pioneer t/t?

Tareq2163

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
While the A9030 is rated at 4 stars, this new one is rated at 5 stars, but the A9030 has better features, and WART technology , with a sub -woofer pre out and others. Am I getting anything wrong to understand this ? I am confused, as I have not yet fully utilized my A9030 yet, now the new 9010 is out and I am feeling down that , from the review, the 9010 sounds better than 9030??? Can anyone help me out to clear my dilemma !!

Tareq2163

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I don't understand, why the A9010 gets five star and only few months old A9030 gets 4 stars in the review ? Can anyone help understand, what I should do with my few months old A9030 ? shall I thorow it away ?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Tareq2163 said:
I don't understand, why the A9010 gets five star and only few months old A9030 gets 4 stars in the review ? Can anyone help understand, what I should do with my few months old A9030 ? shall I thorow it away ?

Don't forget that reviews are subjective. The reviewer of the A9010 might have given a higher rating than it would have got had the reviewer of the A9030 done the review for the new product. Or perhaps s/he was just in a better mood that day?

One other possible reason for a higher rating for the A9010 is if it's significantly cheaper than the A9030 was when it was reviewed. Products are given a rating based on their performance compared with expectations at that price point, so a price drop can result in a higher rating without there being an actual rise in performance.

I would advise not to do anything before hearing both of them together and deciding for yourself whether you prefer the performance of the A9010.

Tareq2163

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi thescarletpronster,

Many thanks for the inputs. helped me a lot. one more advise i need, I dont have any good stereo shop around where I live. can you suggest any shop that can ship a turntable to my country Bangladesh ? Any link you may share , please.

Tareq2163

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I need this power conversion device for my phono pre-amp, Cambridge Audio. Any particular brand, specs you guys can help me with, please ?

Tareq2163

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

from the review here on what hifi, I am interested in this model. But I want to get as mase in uk, does anyone know whether this is made in uk or made in China if I get from amazon.co.uk. Your inputs will be a big help.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Tareq2163 said:
Hi,

from the review here on what hifi, I am interested in this model. But I want to get as mase in uk, does anyone know whether this is made in uk or made in China if I get from amazon.co.uk. Your inputs will be a big help.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/ - There are various contact methods on their website.

brownz said:
Tareq2163 said:
Hi,

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/ - There are various contact methods on their website.

.... and does it really matter these days?

TRENDING THREADS