Is only HDMI sufficient for best quality for Sound AND vision?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I'm planning to buy a new AV Receiver (marantz SR 7002), speakers (5.1), Plasma (Panasonic TH-50Z800), DVD/CD player (Marantz DV7001) and a digital HD DVB-C tuner (cable top up box). Everything with sufficient HDMI connections.

Furthermore I have a digital cable tv supscription (in the netherlands), with on top of that a ''Film 1" subscription (that's a movie channel, which broadcasts in HD quality (sound and vision they say).

My question

How do i have to connect everything to each other in order to view/listen to dvd and film1 (HD) in the best possible quality I thought:
* HDMI cable from digital DVB-c tuner to AV receiver
* HDMI cable from dvd player to AV receiver
* HDMI kabel from AV receiver to TV
Is this correct? Or do i need to connect some devices with digital - optical cables? HDMI cables do provide vision and sound in the best possible quality? Or are there better options?

Thanks a lot!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Depends whether the set-top box outputs the best quality sound via HDMI. Not all do - here, the Sky HD box only outputs stereo via HDMI, so you need an optical digital cable to feed Dolby Digital 5.1 into a suitable receiver.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, I checked the manual of the set/top box (Samsung DCB-H360R is the only cable model available at the moment in netherlands!). And indeed it says that for 5.1 surround sound an optical cable is needed to connect with a receiver. So i need an extra cable...

But how about the connection between DVD player and receiver? Is the HDMI cable sufficient for both audio 5,1 and vision in best quality? Or do I need an extra cable for audio too?

TRENDING THREADS