Is music on ONKYO TX-NR905 really as bad as review says???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:MattSpeed:As with most forums and sites, you find there's an awful lot of self-appointed "experts" who haven't heard or don't own the kit they're commenting on. Or misreading reviews and finding negatives that don't necessarily exist.110% true.

100% inaccurate statement.

A

Anonymous

I don't imagine there is anything wrong with the 905's stereo playback. However, your last line might be describing you. Have you listened to your speakers with a £500 + stereo amp and cd player? If not, how can you say that the 905 in pure audio mode is similar or as good as a separate stereo set up?

I have! I used to have a rotel Ra-1062 amp teac VRDS-1 transport with a DPA Enlighten dac! and it sounded good with my quad 12l's but in fairness my 875 is pretty dam close in the amp department to the rotel the only real differnce is the rotel carried a little more bass weight.
Im now using a denon 2930 as my source for cds as well which is a bigger step down but space (and the missis) dictated that some gear had to go :-(

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
One thing to be careful of when comparing these AV amps with hi-fi amps is to make sure you're not comparing them tonally. I can understand why someone might say that Onkyo sounds like Rotel as they're a little similar tonally, but when it comes to other areas like the depth of soundstage or three dimensionality (a word?), things might be a little different. I think too many people choose or dismiss products purely by their tonality.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:One thing to be careful of when comparing these AV amps with hi-fi amps is to make sure you're not comparing them tonally. I can understand why someone might say that Onkyo sounds like Rotel as they're a little similar tonally, but when it comes to other areas like the depth of soundstage or three dimensionality (a word?), things might be a little different. I think too many people choose or dismiss products purely by their tonality.
Im not just compairing the tone! i listen to a lot of music and do some serious listening lights out eyes closed and warm beer! and i am impressed by the onkyo in pure direct mode. i didnt say it was as good as the rotel but it is close enough imo to do without a seperate stereo amp!

A

Anonymous

Thats alright then ;-)

I should add that i agree whole hartedly that dedicated stereo gear is better for music playback not everybody has the room for 2 seperate systems.
The system i have now is compleatly AV orientated but it does a pretty passable job on music for what it is.

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I have certainly found that AV amps don't get anywhere near a dedicated stereo setup; that said I have not heard the £900-£1400 AV amps of which you speak. Early on I replaced a (very) budget Marantz stereo amp with a CA540v and was sorely dissapointed, despite reviews that said it was 'good with music'. The CA (and it's replacement) has long been confined to AV duties and the stereo amp replaced by another Marantz and recently another Cambridge (840a). As soon as I move house and have a little more space I am going the AV-preouts-into-stereo-amp route to cut down on the speaker count and keep wife happy (as if that were possible lol)

The Cambridge amps are so slim they are probably smaller than an Onk!! (if you stacked them on top of each other, which would be very silly indeed)

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I'd say the latter, or perhaps the RA-05.

Interested to hear your comparisions Andrew, if you have heard them how do the CA640v and/or the Arcam amps compare to stereo kit? these are supposed to be the best AV amps with music, according to press reports?

A

Anonymous

Hi Guy's

My first foray into a web forum of any description but here goes......

I have just changed my much loved and old Yamaha DSP A1!!! for an Onkyo T-NRX905. It was part of a long platform upgrade and is for now (or at least that what the wife has been told) the final part of the puzzle.

Like most things hifi etc what sounds right to you is right, and I can happily and confidently report that for the first time my system sounds right.

The Onkyo mates to the following kit: Naim CD5X via Chord anthem analog interconnects, Monitor Audio GS 20'S, GS LCR, GS FX dipole/bipoles / RSW12 Sub, Chord Odyssey 2 Terminaled speaker cable with jumpers, Chord power chords all round and ISOTEK mains blocks, Pioneer LX50 DVD connected via Chord 1.3 HDMI. It all sits on a stands unique AV10 Rack and floor standers, rack and CD sit on insulated Granite platforms knocked up by a freindly granite merchant.

The Onkyo takes some setting up but was not complicated and can be adjusted and fine tuned to your hearts content even down to setting the bass and treble for each indvidual speaker, as well as room size etc etc etc.

I have found that my particular set up is very condusive to acoustic music especially live, it deals very well with classical and rock but is not a massive fan of over produced artists like Mariah Carey or Christina Agui whats her name. These can sound harsh, but maybe only to me. I have a very broad taste in music and on the whole the set up, largly down to the amp is bang on and I would highly recommend a home demo if you can arrange one. as for movies it just rocks like no other £1400.00 amp can.

So, would I recommend it, absolutly yes, it has power, steering, control and delivery like little else for the money and is versatile to the extent that I have the following kit all going in:

DVD, DVD Recorder, CD, IPOD doc, WII, PS2, XBOX, Mini Disc, Cable box and video cam.... With one HDMI OUT UPSCALING IT ALL as far as 1080p if required and all the surround modes going!!!

Brilliant!

Music never sounded so good!

Adam

A

Anonymous

For the record, I never stated the 905 was as good as a good top end dedicated music amp. I said there was nothing wrong with it, and defied anyone to listen to it and say it was bad.

My point is, a BMW M3 or a Mitsi Evo or a 911 or whatver isn't going to beat an F1 car around a track, on any day of the week. But to call any of those road cars anything but very fast cars, would be ridiculous.

However for the vast, vast majority, they're as fast as you're ever going to need.

A

Anonymous

Also for the record....

I did demo the Naim Nap 200 and NAC 202 combo with the CD5X and admit it sounded stunning!! But also cost £3000 +!

Maybe in the future......

Adam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts