Is it worth to invest in main power cabels ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
the record spot said:
How much more air Isac? And how do you measure silence? Genuinely interested. I just take silence to be precisely that, silence. How much more silent could it be? It's like "none more black"...

"There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

- Nigel Tufnel, 1982.

Once you change your receiver to a decent amp to hear music you'll undestand what we are talking about here ...

Dude, you might want to re-think your comment in light of your earlier posts...without your wonder cord, your amp was apparently spewing out a cloud of dust!

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Lets get into propotion I said there is no change on the sound the power cabels gave only the final touch , the soundstage has more silence backround that's it !

the main improvement was when I changed my speakers cabels and interconnects .

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
Lets get into propotion I said there is no change on the sound the power cabels gave only the final touch , the soundstage has more silence backround that's it !

:rofl: here we go again...

that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I've got a giraffe outside, makes the gaps between tracks sound better.

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I was in a 'Grumpy Friday' mood when I got into work this morning.

Then I read this thread and am still laughing.

Some brilliantly witty posts.

Interestingly enough there is some data out there that suggests a Giraffe can see the difference in colour reproduction of different HDMI cables too. Not sure whether it's the same Giraffe that's in Cheeseboy's garden though.

A Handful Of Dust is also one of my favourite novels - "did" it for O level, when exams still had value.

I wonder if the OP is a plant (not the leafy type) of some sort - he/she certainly likes to get their hands dirty on the most contentious issues.......

T

the record spot

ISAC69 said:

So, just to reiterate my question, what additional silence could you gain on top of silence?

I think Alan Shaw was right the other day.

T

the record spot

floyd droid said:
Oh dear. Having a pop at someone elses gear is not good matey , not good at all.

Out of interest, what in your opinion is a decent amp ? . I would think hard about answering this if I was you.

Well, if nothing else, he showed up his own ignorance which was entertaining at the very least. The 818's been one of the best purchases I've made full stop. Form and functionality in one package, but the reality is it's a very refined performer.

Guys like Isac are at the Luddite end of the hobby who cling on to outdated notions, are poorly informed about current practices and think they know better. The rest of us move on and know differently. I'm happy to be in the latter camp.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Interesting thead about an old legend of audio :cheer:

In my older job, I was working in world leading research center. In this research center, one of the department make expericences on the loudspeaker and sound reproductions of tomorrow. ALL the mesurements apparels, the amps and microphone preamp or whatsoever, was connected with good quality cable, for sure, but nothing voodoo. If the persons who make your stuff and the scientists don't believe at, why would consumer believe in that ?

Ok, there is a point that I must admit. Some of those highend cables are beautiful and could, for free systems, be an optical plus.

Bigsounds

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Only blokes could argue endlessly over cables and whether or not they make a difference, this really has to be the most tedious and repetative subject ever to inflict mankind, does any one really care what some guy and stranger on the web thinks or gives any value to whether he thinks they hear a difference in a piece of copper connected to the wall?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ISAC69 said:

Arthur Salvatore's interesting website includes the following levels of improvement:

Arthur Salvatore said:
Now, from the most subtle to the most profound...

Level 1- The improvement can be subtly, though still consistently, heard when switching to the superior component (A/B), but it is not heard when switching back (B/A).

Example- Ars Acoustica Prototype I.C. Cable Vs. Coincident Extreme I.C. Cable (between the phono stage and line stage)

Level 2- The improvement can be heard when both switching components, and when switching back, but it is no longer specifically heard after a very short period of time; sometimes seconds, but almost always less than one minute.

Example- Coincident "Kamikaze" Phono Stage Vs. Jadis JP-80 Phono Stage (midrange only, for around 30 seconds)

Level 3- The improvement can be heard at length, but mainly only when making an effort to listen specifically for it, so it is not "obvious". This improvement is usually not "significant"; meaning there's a good chance that an audiophile may be able to remove this improvement from their system and still not suffer from its absence.

Example- Bent Audio Silver SUT Vs. Coincident Statement SUT

Level 4- The improvement can be heard all the time, and without any effort, by an audiophile. However, it would not be unusual for it to be not heard by those listeners with no interest in sound quality. This improvement is still usually "significant"; meaning an audiophile will almost always suffer from its absence.

Example- Graham Phantom Supreme Tonearm Vs. Graham Phantom II Tonearm

Level 5- The improvement can be heard at all times by anyone with healthy hearing, including listeners with no interest in sound quality. The improvement is now always "significant"; meaning an audiophile can no longer enjoy their system without this specific improvement.

Example- Coincident Statement Phono Stage (Latest Model) Vs. Coincident Statement Phono Stage (Original Model)

Level 6- The improvement is "transformational"; meaning not only would it be completely unthinkable to live without it, but the improvement actually alters an audiophile's thinking and perspective on both their particular system and "Audio" in general.

Example- Reference Lenco L-75 Turntable/Graham Phantom (Supreme) Tonearm Vs. Forsell Air Reference Turntable/Tonearm

Which level of improvement would you say the power cables made in your system, according to the Salvatore scale?

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i like the cool colour of my chord cables, them russ andrew black ones are just boring.

i can only see them if i crick my neck over the back when wearing a head torch but what does that matter.

Bigsounds

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Did you not get the gist of this place before you registered. This is part of the reason why its referred to as wtfsahifi on other fora.

This forum is no different to any other forum, they all go round in this monotonous spiral of arguing over whether cables make a difference, are cables directional, do power cables make a difference, 1 and 0 are all the same, nothing makes a difference, all dacs sound the same, it's never ending, I could leave a forum, come back in 20 years and they'd still be arguing the same topics all over again.

T

the record spot

Hang on a minute, she might've broadened Cno's views on these things! :twisted: :silenced: :shifty:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts