Is it worth to invest in main power cabels ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Craig M. said:
Aftermarket cables are so last year. You need someone in to relax the walls of your room, you'll never get a good sound if the rooms not relaxed.

Ganja! That'll be the next audiophool upgrade.

If you smoke enough weed in the room before listening to your HiFi the walls will become relaxed due to the passive smoking effect.

Nonsense, we all know that's just expectation bias. Unless you've done double blind inhalation tests I don't believe a word of it.

Roger

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe all you stoners got it so wrong, a Meditation Pyramid is the way forward.

Or to quote Lister, "OMMMMM"

Build your own, www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Cbu4zXnkM

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have changed the mains cable (and the plug) on my M-CR603.

It was too long, so I bought a Bandridge figure-of-8 power cord for a fiver, cut it down to just under one metre and popped a white MK 646WHI (Logic Plus) Safety Plug on the end. (£3.99 from local electrical wholesaler). I prefer white plugs wherever possible and I like MK plugs.

I also had to get a pack of 3A fuses so it all came to about a tenner all-in.

I didn't want to cut down the power lead that was supplied with the Marantz because it would then be too short for whoever ends up buying the Marantz from me (or too short for the next room I use it in, if / when I get a second system up and going one day).

It sounds even better now I know that there is almost a meter less cable behind my system (and one less unsightly black plug top on my white MK Duraplug 4-way extension.)

Bit by little bit I am still 'de-cluttering'.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Just replaced the mains cable on my panasonic microwave with a Russ Andrews cable and you would not believe how this has improved the sound of the programme finished 'PING' - much more clarity and depth and there is now a sense of 3D spatiality that I had never noticed before. I know the cable cost 3 times as much as the microwave, but the sound improvement is so amazing that I'm finding myself microwaving food I'd never done before....... :grin:

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Mr Big

Interesting point. I'd already tried putting it on a specially made green quartz Compac worktop, specifically manufactured in their north facing factory, and which had all the aluminium chips exactly the same size and weight and all pointing in the same direction, but found that the "PING" still lacked a certain depth and dare I say it 'realism'. I'll give the torlyte platform a look, although at the moment, I'm having a set of mounting feet made from a composite containing the crushed septum of the red bengal tiger to replace the standard plastic Panasonic ones... :grin:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Craig M. said:
You need someone in to relax the walls of your room, you'll never get a good sound if the rooms not relaxed.

How do you measure how relaxed your walls are? Is there a specific scale that can be used or is it purely a subjective thing?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Just bought the WIREWORLD STRATUS 7 cabels . The sound is the same but it is more clean like the notes are emerging from a dark silence background . more over on low level volume the sound is clearer and more coherent before that the sound was somehow blur on low level volume .

It is like a screen of dust was remove from the sound . Very happy with the results :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Fookinell a screen of dust eh. I've got a skip load on my gear.

How can the sound be the same but 'more clean' ?. Tis either the same or taint.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I would get a home demo first or use a company that gives you the opportunity to return them.

I have a few of the entry level russ Andrews ones and I'm not sure they make much difference. I am still using a basic extension lead which might have something to do with that.

I did a home demo of the chord signature speaker cable the other day and that was truly amazing, but expensive. In retrospect I think I would have preferred to use the cash I spent on the mains leads and put it towards the new speaker cables as I now have some saving up to do.

Nothing seems to divide opinion on here like cables so I'm not sure it's possible to get much meaningful advise from a thread about cables here but a few people have said its best for you to try for yourself which is good advise and is certainly what you should do, no demo no purchase in my view.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi kmlav

You are correct you should spend on mains leads and speaker cables first , power cord cables are giving only the final touch to the sound . if you can try to demo the Tellurium cables they are better than the Chord ones .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't think people pay enough attention to power supplies in general - with the big move into streaming, music replayed off of hard drives the next big upgrade thing will be the old fashioned power supply making a come back and its impact on digital playback.....

products have been around for years, and most good hifi still uses it - but the assumption is it doesn't matter for digital so smps power supplies are used more - that theory is soon to be gone.

On Topic
I have been very impressed with what a £40 inc delivery mains cable from Clearer Audio does to all my components. I would make sure it has at least 1 if not 2 ferrite / suppressor on the cable though.

That's my 2p's worth

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
After 5 days of burn-in it seems that the Wireworld Stratus 7 is doing a great job the sound was not changed at all but the soundstage is more calm and natural , There is more "air" and silence between the notes 8) It seems that the power cables are more important than I thought before :exmark:

T

the record spot

How much more air Isac? And how do you measure silence? Genuinely interested. I just take silence to be precisely that, silence. How much more silent could it be? It's like "none more black"...

"There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

- Nigel Tufnel, 1982.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
the record spot said:
How much more air Isac? And how do you measure silence? Genuinely interested. I just take silence to be precisely that, silence. How much more silent could it be? It's like "none more black"...

"There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

- Nigel Tufnel, 1982.

Once you change your receiver to a decent amp to hear music you'll undestand what we are talking about here ...

T

the record spot

ISAC69 said:
Once you change your receiver to a decent amp to hear music you'll undestand what we are talking about here ...

Why would you say that Isac? I mean, I'm pretty informed when it comes to the choices I make in my gear. When you get beyond being suckered by the hype, then yes, we can have a meaningful discussion.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't really do cables, I got some sliver shielded posh stuff on my naim system and some multiple strand copper on my other. Can't even be bothered changing and testing there will be no difference.

But as an mechanical/electrical engineer if you don't run a brand new separate circuit straight to your hi fi then the last metre at the end will make no difference. Even if you do the spark will be using MK twin and earth at best so what's the point.?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
letsavit2 said:
I don't really do cables, I got some sliver shielded posh stuff on my naim system and some multiple strand copper on my other. Can't even be bothered changing and testing there will be no difference. But as an mechanical/electrical engineer if you don't run a brand new separate circuit straight to your hi fi then the last metre at the end will make no difference. Even if you do the spark will be using MK twin and earth at best so what's the point.?

The point is some people don't have an engineering background so fall back to their own experience which is natural enough. If their hearing informs them something is better - it's effectively better. This is why many cable manufacturers will give a refund - they are still in business.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
ISAC69 said:

Oh dear. Having a pop at someone elses gear is not good matey , not good at all.

Out of interest, what in your opinion is a decent amp ? . I would think hard about answering this if I was you.

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Fookinell a screen of dust eh. I've got a skip load on my gear.

How can the sound be the same but 'more clean' ?. Tis either the same or taint.

Dude, this had me chuckling! Simple, but Christ I laughed!?

Luke

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes if someone hears a difference then great. I was talking speakers cables in my first line, sorry didn't state that, hence I can hear no difference in speaker cables so personally wouldn't even bother with power. But yes as an engineer I would of thought a separate circuit from the main board with new MK twin an earth cable, shortest run straight to the dedicated hi fi spur would have a much greater benefit than the last 1metre posh cable on a ring main. My point being "bottle neck" for all cables, you cannot gain a signal/power once lost at the end. Sound goes through some pretty small components in a amplifier so the best cable in the world will make no difference. Same for power, you cannot boost it at the end with just better cable, but you can store it and control it with some sort of ups system though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts