Question Is it time to retire my aging but still functional Mission 773's?

ossieb

Apr 19, 2022
Visit site
Hi
Just bought an Exposure 3010S2D integrated. Is my system so out of balance I need to change the speakers?

If so what to, budget £1K -£1.5K?

Hi
Just bought an Exposure 3010S2D integrated. Is my system so out of balance I need to change the speakers?

Not enough information I feel.
What is lacking in your current speakers?
What is your room size?
What can you actually get to audition? because of your spending this sort of money you certainly should.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

CheshirePete

Oct 12, 2020
Visit site
A home audition has much greater value than listening at a retailers. After all, you will only hear what the speakers sound like in their demo room, bearing in mind the room has great impact on what you will hear.

Good luck.

Reactions: ossieb
Hi

A well designed speaker will respond well to better quality amplification. I’ve heard great sounding combinations of £2K amps and £200 speakers. That’s not to say all combinations based on those maths will sound great - it just depends how capable the speakers are - but you’re far more likely to get a better sounding combination than driving £2k speakers with a £200 amplifier.

ossieb

Apr 19, 2022
Visit site
Thanks guys just wanted a starting point and that's what you've given me!

room size 5.6 x 3.4m
Just got upgraditus since the 773's are over thirty years old and thought maybe I was missing out on something.

Need to buy (If I do) before I retire so got a few short years to save up

Last edited:

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
A well designed speaker will respond well to better quality amplification. I’ve heard great sounding combinations of £2K amps and £200 speakers. That’s not to say all combinations based on those maths will sound great - it just depends how capable the speakers are - but you’re far more likely to get a better sounding combination than driving £2k speakers with a £200 amplifier.
I tend to agree. A work colleague had a Linn LP12 with Naim amplification driving a pair of Acoustic Research AR18s and the sound was stunning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts