Is freesat going all betamax on us?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi matthew,Sorry i cannot comment on where i read the article.As you know we are not allowed to post details on this forum.By the way sony is relesing new tvs next march/april with freesat/freeview hd tuners built in to the new range of sets 26" and above.think freesat will find a home but will have very limited hd channels,as we all know it cost a fortune to launch more satalites into orbit,then paying for staff to learn how it all works,i guess itv just dont have the funds to pour more money into freesat at this moment in time.but at least a couple of channels is better then none.It is a shame there are no more hd channels on freesat,so people can see what it has to offer.But i have always belived that you do have to pay for a premium product such as sky hd.it may not be for everyone,but i think its well worth the extra £2.50 a week.LOL thats less then a pint of beer!!!

matthewpiano

I'd heard about the upcoming freesat Sonys off the record a couple of weeks ago, but I'm in the middle of a couple of weeks off, so hadn't realised they'd been announced until I read the WHF news story on it. I'm glad. It gives us more options in terms of sales and it gives the customer more choice. I also think having another major manufacturer behind it will help Freesat. I'm excited about the triple tuner models as well. Some shrewd moves from Sony I think.

BTW I do agree with you about the much better choice on Sky and about the advantages of paying a bit extra for a premium product but like you say its not for everyone. TV just isn't a major priority in my home (music and blu-ray/dvd based movies come far higher up the pecking order) so I'm not willing to pay the extra myself.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre:Hi matthew,Sorry i cannot comment on where i read the article.As you know we are not allowed to post details on this forum.By the way sony is relesing new tvs next march/april with freesat/freeview hd tuners built in to the new range of sets 26" and above.think freesat will find a home but will have very limited hd channels,as we all know it cost a fortune to launch more satalites into orbit,then paying for staff to learn how it all works,i guess itv just dont have the funds to pour more money into freesat at this moment in time.but at least a couple of channels is better then none.It is a shame there are no more hd channels on freesat,so people can see what it has to offer.But i have always belived that you do have to pay for a premium product such as sky hd.it may not be for everyone,but i think its well worth the extra £2.50 a week.LOL thats less then a pint of beer!!!

Much as though you want to be independant and make your own views clear ,I would really suggest you change your forum name if you go down this road,particularly if people are reading for the first time.Repeating comments from elsewhere which you cannot cite due to house rules is going to give a false impression no matter how many times you say it is your own opinion.I would also add ,and this is going to sound extremely picky and pretentious, but if you must comment on this forum using the name Sonycentre , I suggest you do a spell/syntax check to make sure you uphold the name.And I apologise if English is not your first language.

matthewpiano

Ravey Gravey Davy:
sonycentre:Hi matthew,Sorry i cannot comment on where i read the article.As you know we are not allowed to post details on this forum.By the way sony is relesing new tvs next march/april with freesat/freeview hd tuners built in to the new range of sets 26" and above.think freesat will find a home but will have very limited hd channels,as we all know it cost a fortune to launch more satalites into orbit,then paying for staff to learn how it all works,i guess itv just dont have the funds to pour more money into freesat at this moment in time.but at least a couple of channels is better then none.It is a shame there are no more hd channels on freesat,so people can see what it has to offer.But i have always belived that you do have to pay for a premium product such as sky hd.it may not be for everyone,but i think its well worth the extra £2.50 a week.LOL thats less then a pint of beer!!!

Much as though you want to be independant and make your own views clear ,I would really suggest you change your forum name if you go down this road,particularly if people are reading for the first time.Repeating comments from elsewhere which you cannot cite due to house rules is going to give a false impression no matter how many times you say it is your own opinion.I would also add ,and this is going to sound extremely picky and pretentious, but if you must comment on this forum using the name Sonycentre , I suggest you do a spell/syntax check to make sure you uphold the name.And I apologise if English is not your first language.

Have to say I agree. You at least need a disclaimer in your signature like the one I have. Otherwise, and particularly with your chosen forum name, people will think you are posting/speaking on behalf of Sony Centres. Given the nature of Sony Centres, and the fact that several different companies run them, you can't speak on their behalf, so I think you need to think about this.

Also, the Freesat launch is a big change for Sony and, given your forum name, I'm not sure your comments about the technology would go down too well at Weybridge.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I would have to agree there are better things in the pipeline , if you look at america which we are always behind once we have this fast broadband that we are promised then even sky is in the poo as there are now company's online you can watch nearly everything in HD and what you want when you want all through the net for a smaller subscription than sky . The net has changed so much in the last 10 years and its going to continue to do so over the next further 10 years , so all this worrying about now and whats going to be , its all going to be forgotten about in 12 months and we will be worrying / moaning about new issues

daveh75

landzw:I would have to agree there are better things in the pipeline , if you look at america which we are always behind once we have this fast broadband that we are promised then even sky is in the poo as there are now company's online you can watch nearly everything in HD and what you want when you want all through the net for a smaller subscription than sky . The net has changed so much in the last 10 years and its going to continue to do so over the next further 10 years , so all this worrying about now and whats going to be , its all going to be forgotten about in 12 months and we will be worrying / moaning about new issues Why do you think Sky HD and Freesat STB's have ethernet port's, albeit disabled at present
emotion-5.gif

In fact Freesat have already made moves to deliver content in this way in the form of iplayer which has been alpha testing for month's and is due to start beta testing imminently.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre:It is a shame there are no more hd channels on freesat,so people can see what it has to offer.But i have always belived that you do have to pay for a premium product such as sky hd.it may not be for everyone,but i think its well worth the extra £2.50 a week.LOL thats less then a pint of beer!!!

Sky HD is not just 2.50 a week though is it? There's also an obligatory subscription to a basic package in addition to the HD package for a minimum of 12 months. So that's a minimum £26 a month, for a year, with prices going up in January too.

An extra £312. (more when prices go up)

matthewpiano

oldleodensian:
sonycentre:It is a shame there are no more hd channels on freesat,so people can see what it has to offer.But i have always belived that you do have to pay for a premium product such as sky hd.it may not be for everyone,but i think its well worth the extra £2.50 a week.LOL thats less then a pint of beer!!!

Sky HD is not just 2.50 a week though is it? There's also an obligatory subscription to a basic package in addition to the HD package for a minimum of 12 months. So that's a minimum £26 a month, for a year, with prices going up in January too.

An extra £312. (more when prices go up)

Sky is getting to be expensive and the content is mostly not that impressive unless you sign up to the movie channels, and when I've done so in the past I've not really found the time to make use of them. If it gets too much more expensive I'll be questioning the value of my subscription.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:If it gets too much more expensive I'll be questioning the value of my subscription.

Hi,

Already re-evaluated my position. All of a sudden a 'loyalty bonus' was available and they wanted to reduce my subs by 30%. Unfortunately for them, I'd had enough - I've got the basic package and an HD pack as an add-on. Kept multiroom too but now feel much happier about the money SKY now take.

If I want to watch a movie I can either rent or use Sky's own Box Office service.

Agree about 'sonycentre' either changing forum username or adding disclaimer - but would add that if he/she is not portraying themselves an 'official' then he/she cannot comment about or quote from (what looks to be) a 'trade source'.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts