Is Dolby Vision another fad?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Feral said:
half expected to see you comment on the article *biggrin*, when i read it i thought of you.
*biggrin*. Cheers mate. Power Rangers is not much better too, I would say it's on par with HDR10 though. Despicable me Too is just as bad as the first one.

WHF - on the Oppo 203 you can use one machine to compare in the future, if you get stuck in the menu on the Oppo select Video picture and then go in on the HDR picture and press force the HDR picture and click okay, and then do a power cycle and it's goes back to HDR, just swap and change between the two.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
As I understand it, a properly calibrated G7 performs marginally better with DV than with HDR10.

HDR10 images may seem punchier on the G7, but that's because LG's HDR10 implementation produces more white clipping. HDR10 specular highlights therefore look more prominent/dynamic, but you lose gradation and detail.

None of that really settles anything. As I've noted, different manufacturers apply different HDR algorithms, because no HDR televsion can produce anything close to the peak brightness needed to accurately display HDR content.

LG is effectively promoting Dolby Vision. The company's DV algorithm may therefore be more refined than its HDR10 algorithm. The same doesn't automatically hold true for other manufacturers.

(I hope I've explained this well enough. Post sad face if my post's impossible to follow.)

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
As I understand it, a properly calibrated G7 performs marginally better with DV than with HDR10.

HDR10 images may seem punchier on the G7, but that's because LG's HDR10 implementation produces more white clipping. HDR10 specular highlights therefore look more prominent/dynamic, but you lose gradation and detail.

None of that really settles anything. As I've noted, different manufacturers apply different HDR algorithms, because no HDR televsion can produce anything close to the peak brightness needed to accurately display HDR content.

LG is effectively promoting Dolby Vision. The company's DV algorithm may therefore be more refined than its HDR10 algorithm. The same doesn't automatically hold true for other manufacturers.

(I hope I've explained this well enough. Post sad face if my post's impossible to follow.)
Hi Strapped, I used Steve Withers calibrated settings on the E6 and they were woeful. I am now using the factory settings on the Isf modes night and bright, and they are better. But on the AVF review of the E6 LG Oled out of the box settings got 9 out of 10 and the calibrated picture only got 9 out of 10 too. Which means there is probably not much difference between the two by my reckoning.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just seen a bit on the Oppo 205 and the despicable Me 1 and 2 here on the E7 or G7 can't remember now!

https://www.avforums.com/review/oppo-udp-205-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-review.13754

Saying Dolby Vision is slightly better.

D

Deleted member 2457

Another thing I forgot to mention was that on the E6 they hadn't worked out probably to calibrate the E6 on HDR and Dolby Vision, although I am not sure if this was the same on the E7? I will have to read the review again on the picture settings. I don't think they show the calibrated settings on the newer reviews such as the E7 now! Might be somewhere else though?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gel

Calman's DV calibration software has only recently become available.

Dolby Vision calibration software wasn't released when AVF reviewed the E6, but available when they reviewed the G7.

I have no real stock in either format, I only wanted to outline what I understood.

My wider view, as stated earlier on this thread, is that this is a lot of fuss about very little indeed.

The variables from format to format, and from manufacturer to manufacturer, mean it's impossible to reach a definitive conclusion.

More importantly, SDR will comprise the vast majority of our viewing for a good few years. By the time HDR really takes off (if it ever does), most of us will be moving on from current models.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oh, and what I've said above isn't reason to buy a new television! *stop* *smile*

The E6 can be calibrated, but the AVF E6 DV settings were inevitably rudimentary because they didn't have the software then to do the job properly.

Besides, copied calibrated settings can make things worse. There's no substitute for getting things right with a pro-cal.

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers Strapped.
thumbs_up.png

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Oh, and what I've said above isn't reason to buy a new television! *stop* *smile*

The E6 can be calibrated, but the AVF E6 DV settings were inevitably rudimentary because they didn't have the software then to do the job properly.

Besides, copied calibrated settings can make things worse. There's no substitute for getting things right with a pro-cal.
Yep mate. Trying to hold off buying a new TV at least until they are at the end of their discounts. I am really tempted by the Sony though!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Just been reading the review from Steve May in home cinema choice and he reakons the new Panasonic 55EZ952 is the 1 to go for current plasma owners...

Really thinking of taking a serious look at this 1, any body else seen it yet. It doesn't have DV, so is Panasonic concentrating on their calibration controls and engine to equal if not better DV with HDR 10..?

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Just been reading the review from Steve May in home cinema choice and he reakons the new Panasonic 55EZ952 is the 1 to go for current plasma owners...

Really thinking of taking a serious look at this 1, any body else seen it yet. It doesn't have DV, so is Panasonic concentrating on their calibration controls and engine to equal if not better DV with HDR 10..?
I think the colours on it look a bit weird, and HDR 10 is dull, I would go for the cheaper LG Oled 55b7v when they are about £1350 or wait until next year and get the 1000 nit Oled. I might get a 1000 nit cheapest LG model from 2018 panels depending on contrast, it has to be 10 out of 10 black level for me now.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:

I think the colours on it look a bit weird, and HDR 10 is dull, I would go for the cheaper LG Oled 55b7v when they are about £1350 or wait until next year and get the 1000 nit Oled. I might get a 1000 nit cheapest LG model from 2018 panels depending on contrast, it has to be 10 out of 10 black level for me now.

yeah my PDP wasn't right until I had it calibrated, and is what any decent Tv needs in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:

yeah my PDP wasn't right until I had it calibrated, and is what any decent Tv needs in my opinion.
Yep, the Panasonic has THX calibration mode too, while the LG has isf night and day modes, I suppose the Panasonic has them too, but the LG looks really good out of box on all modes.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:

Yep, the Panasonic has THX calibration mode too, while the LG has isf night and day modes, I suppose the Panasonic has them too, but the LG looks really good out of box on all modes.

yes the panny also has ISF day and night modes too.

Just been watching a pod cast on AV and the 2018 penny oleds will have HDR 10 plus... FFS another format ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:

yes the panny also has ISF day and night modes too.

Just been watching a pod cast on AV and the 2018 penny oleds will have HDR 10 plus... FFS another format ;)
Yep, I saw that! What's going on? I reckon Panasonic will get HDR right next year.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Just looking at the denon x6200 thread on AV forums and apparently the following will receive a firmware update for DV

The Denon page has been updated with

Denon will issue / issued a firmware update to additionally support Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) HDR pass-through for:

AVR-X1200W, AVR-X2200W, AVR-X3200W, AVR-X4200W, AVR-X6200W, AVR-X7200WA (scheduled for 2018)
AVR-X1300W, AVR-X2300W, AVR-X3300W, AVR-X4300H, AVR-X6300H (scheduled for September / October 2017) [/i]

i cant find anything on the denon website to confirm this though..![/i]

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Series1boy, I keep meaning to see a copy of HCC to see their Panasonic Oled review you spoke about, what did it say about it? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Hi Series1boy, I keep meaning to see a copy of HCC to see their Panasonic Oled review you spoke about, what did it say about it? Cheers.

basically the plasma replacement... Steve may reviewed it and said it tipped the B7(sorry)
Just popped up the City and had a read too, not bad. They seem to be praising the black levels a lot. Cheers.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:
gel said:

basically the plasma replacement... Steve may reviewed it and said it tipped the B7(sorry)
Just popped up the City and had a read too, not bad. They seem to be praising the black levels a lot. Cheers.

the black levels are important to me. I'm going to wait on the new Phillips OLED because I fancy the ambi light on those.. will look at both and then decide what's for me and then purchase and the VT will move into our bedroom and the 46" PDP in the bedroom will go!

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
gel said:

the black levels are important to me. I'm going to wait on the new Phillips OLED because I fancy the ambi light on those.. will look at both and then decide what's for me and then purchase and the VT will move into our bedroom and the 46" PDP in the bedroom will go!
Nice!
thumbs_up.png

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
gel said:

Nice!

although just remembered the Panasonic doesn't support DV....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts