Is discrete opamps better than IC opamps ?

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Since I did not hear any response I have made some search in the web and it seems that there are not too many discrete opamp makers around. The most propular one seems to be from Burson audio.

http://www.bursonaudio.com/DIY_HD_Opamp.htm

The product is not cheap when compare with IC based opamps but if there is improvement in SQ I might take the risk of trying them out :pray:

A

Anonymous

You'll find discrete op-amps in hi-fi gear from practically any quality manufacturer, so no doubt the're worth it but I guess it depends on your project and whether the quality of the rest of it warrants using them.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
AVOnline said:
You'll find discrete op-amps in hi-fi gear from practically any quality manufacturer, so no doubt the're worth it but I guess it depends on your project and whether the quality of the rest of it warrants using them.

Thanks John. Have been trying to find discrete op-amps in the UK with reasonable price but seems there is none in hi-fi gear :cry:

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, the reason I ask this question because recently I have modified a marantz CD63 MKII KI CDP by changing its transformer to bigger rating, changed the master clock having its own regulator and changed some critical capacities as well as its 2 opamps to audiophile grade LM4562NA. The result is excellent but to make it even better I intend to change the opamps with discrete opamps as it was claimed to give tighter bass and better HF response together with better space according to some diy discussion forum. If someone here can confirm this I think it may be worthwhile to have a trial even though they are not cheap when compare with IC ones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts