Is CXA80 good enough for Rubicon 2 / Opticon 6?

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my speakers to either Rubicon 2 or Opticon 6 (I'm considering Rubicon 2 because my living room is only 25m2, but I've always had floor-standing speakres, so not sure if I won't go for Opticon 6 afterall). Have to still go to the shop and hear the two in action...

Anyway, I currently have Cambridge Audio CXA80 now and the shop gave me option to upgrade it to Azur 851A, due to some error in order processing, for the difference in price. But, should I decide on Rubicon 2, wouldn't CXA80 be mroe suited? It does look so from the specs...

I'm usually listening to LPs (Elys 2, RegaMono preamp) and FLACs (the in-built DAC in CXA80 comes in hand; with Azur DacMagic will be an additional cost).

Any experiences? Tips?

Thanks!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've never heard one, so I can't say for certain, so I can only base the answer around other amplifiers in its price point and how well they work with the Rubicon 2s. Treat the Rubicon range like the KEF R Series - there's a lot of bass there to control, and whilst they're not particularly hard to drive, the impedance is generally 4ohms, so all relies on how stable the CA can remain with lower impedances.

Amplifiers around the £500-800 will drive them, but won't be getting the best out of them. First things first is to get a demo of the pairing to see for yourself - the bass should be tight and punchy if the amplifier is doing its job properly. If not, everything will sound a little bassy and lacking excitement.

Piotr Pluta said:
Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my speakers to either Rubicon 2 or Opticon 6 (I'm considering Rubicon 2 because my living room is only 25m2, but I've always had floor-standing speakres, so not sure if I won't go for Opticon 6 afterall). Have to still go to the shop and hear the two in action...

Anyway, I currently have Cambridge Audio CXA80 now and the shop gave me option to upgrade it to Azur 851A, due to some error in order processing, for the difference in price. But, should I decide on Rubicon 2, wouldn't CXA80 be mroe suited? It does look so from the specs...

I'm usually listening to LPs (Elys 2, RegaMono preamp) and FLACs (the in-built DAC in CXA80 comes in hand; with Azur DacMagic will be an additional cost).

Any experiences? Tips?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum. I can only say, go audition and then audition again. Nobody here can tell you what is best for your ears.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I have an 851a which I use to drive a pair of floorstanders that claim to be 8ohms but are 4 in practice and it drives them impeccably. I think the CXA80 would be fine with either option but if you can afford the extra, the 851a will drive either speaker better than the CXA80.

May 6, 2016
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey: thanks for the useful tips re what to look for when auditioning the pair. Other than that, it does sond reasonable that sticking to CXA80 and buying those speakers will be a half-way solution. Thanks!

All ears: thanks for the welcome!:)

Tom Sawyer: yepp... I'm getting more and more settled on going up to 851A. The only question now is how badly to I need a DAC now, and whether I should settle for DacMagic or match the system with 851D.

Incidentally, I discovered that another branch of the dealer has put out a demo units of both for sale - the 851A at the same price as my CXA80. But, heck... never bought anything used for demo before.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I've never heard one, so I can't say for certain, so I can only base the answer around other amplifiers in its price point and how well they work with the Rubicon 2s. Treat the Rubicon range like the KEF R Series - there's a lot of bass there to control, and whilst they're not particularly hard to drive, the impedance is generally 4ohms, so all relies on how stable the CA can remain with lower impedances.

Amplifiers around the £500-800 will drive them, but won't be getting the best out of them. First things first is to get a demo of the pairing to see for yourself - the bass should be tight and punchy if the amplifier is doing its job properly. If not, everything will sound a little bassy and lacking excitement.

Funny you say that. You obviously know your speakers.

When I visited the Bournemouth branch of RS they had a CXA80 connected to some Opticon stand mounts and it sounded awfully muddy with overbearing bass. One of the shop guys turned it off. Good call.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Funny you say that. You obviously know your speakers.

When I visited the Bournemouth branch of RS they had a CXA80 connected to some Opticon stand mounts and it sounded awfully muddy with overbearing bass. One of the shop guys turned it off. Good call.

:)

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
In my opinion, unless the price is very low, the 851D doesn't represent particularly good value compared to the 851N or 851C both of which can take USB/optical/coax digital in but additionally can stream from a network in the case of the N or play CDs in the case of the C.

If your dealer is going to sell you the 851A and the speakers, make sure you try them together before you buy.

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, hearing the two with both Dali 2s and B&W CM6 S2 (an option I started considering too) left little doubt: 851A it is (or has to be).

@TomSawyer: the price for 851D is roughly 50%, but - after scrutinizing the two - I fully agree. I will wait up a little, focus on my LP collection and maybe get a DacMagic for occasional PC music in higher quality, and get the N at some point, when they get cheapper.

Big thanks everybody!!

TRENDING THREADS