Question Is CD / SACD a dying format?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
This is what i am saying which i do not understand but why when SACDs ,CDs are not used by a lot of people because of streaming .
I still use CDs and do have some SACDs and still buy CDs but SACDs there not a lot of choice unless you like classic music .
So unless Luxman no something we do not i do not get it

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
For music sales, I´d say so. For people who own lots of those discs, it´s not.
Luxman and other brands are relying on sales for those who use the formats. If it´s commercially viable I do not know but they do seem to think it is (or have not enough funds to offer more modern devices with streaming capabilities)

D

Deleted member 188516

Well it would appear that Luxman don't think so.
They have just released the D-10X, their flagship SACD player..... at a cool £14,999.

at £14,999 my question is how many will they actually sell ?

i'm guessing not a lot which may not be such a problem, as, the unit probably only cost about £500 to make...

manicm

I for one, do not play many CDs. But I sure am still buying them. The pleasure from acquiring something physical still gives me more pleasure than having a hires download.

And I'm sure there are others like me, but who are still spinning the discs regularly. I don't find that quaint at all. No cartridges or belts to replace. No tortuous setup routines.

It's very fashionable to write off the CD and the CDP. I for one it lasts a good while longer. Viva.

I’ve never understood why SACD wasn’t promoted better, it’s the original Digital hi res physical format! You’d think they’d be shouting about the quality etc, and call it “better than vinyl” . Unfortunately it seems very limited still. I’ve only ever bought 3 and they were experimental, and not my chosen genre.
If back catalogues of popular artists had a rerelease on SACD that may drum up some interest, I would love to see the format alive, but I don’t think there’s enough of a difference between redbook and sacd to make it viable. But , who knows.... if a hipster discovers it, and opens a SACD coffee lounge... maybe, just maybe?

I used the term quaint in an ironic sense - all my serious listening is CD - but there'll come a point where the factors that have made vinyl* and cassette fashionable will eventually catch up with CD.

*Not talking here about those who prefer the sound, but those who are primarily attracted to it in a more 'superficial' manner.

manicm

I used the term quaint in an ironic sense - all my serious listening is CD - but there'll come a point where the factors that have made vinyl* and cassette fashionable will eventually catch up with CD.

*Not talking here about those who prefer the sound, but those who are primarily attracted to it in a more 'superficial' manner.

I am attracted to it in a superficial manner, as CD packaging is more attractive nowadays. And I do like a printed, colorful disc. I miss vinyl artwork but not the turntable faff and cost.

Friesiansam

I have never been called quaint before (!) but I am 100% CD or Flacs from them.
Me too and have bought many new CDs over the last year, then ripped to FLAC to store on and play from the PC. Some might say that's pointless but, I like to have the hard copy, the feeling that I own the music and no need to maintain a subscription.

13,578 Titles on SACD not bad for a dying format
Quite so. The SACD format is still largely driven, as it always has been, by the Japanese buying public.
The amount of readily available SACD s they have easy access to seems to be somewhat missing in the UK.
I must say I have, and still own, music in many different formats including bluray audio but, in my opinion, the best is usually SACD or the equivalent album as a high resolution download.
I do like to whip out and read the cover notes though.....
'Tis a pity they are so ruddy expensive......
.... and unfortunately many of those on that list are no longer available. Sure they were produced at one time but you try finding them now.

Reactions: eoc69

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I understand Cantonese… there are continual Cantopop SACD releases (mostly remastered or reissued albums). Currently, I'm awaiting these 2:
Screen Shot.png

My 3rd purchase is the Korean soundtrack double CD to:

Asia remains a healthy market for discs and disc players.

D

Deleted member 188516

IMO all formats will co-exist with different regions seeing surges of popularity of different formats.
Ease of use and search for new genres : digital/streaming
Ownership,collectibles,interactive experience,sense of history : physical formats.

We are in times where affordable gear and infinite music have come together !

"We are in times where affordable gear and infinite music have come together !"

a golden era for home entertainment / hifi listening then !

(i started a thread asking / stating this)

Secretagentmole

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
You have chosen a far more expensive format than SACD my friend. To do LP playback well you will need very deep pockets.

Really? My ears love the reproduction that can be achieved on the Dual 505, Cambridge Azur and Tannoy set up I have now. It cost under £150.

Make that under £200, I forgot Rupert the Little Bear...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

Really? My ears love the reproduction that can be achieved on the Dual 505, Cambridge Azur and Tannoy set up I have now. It cost under £150.

Make that under £200, I forgot Rupert the Little Bear...
If it sounds good to your ears then that is all that really matters, end of story. However, if you ever decide to travel down the upgrade path you will quickly begin to realise the meaning of my previous comment :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts