is anyone else as excited about the Cyrus 8se as me

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
You're not alone Mike. We'll be reviewing the 8SE in our November issue, out on September 18th, but given the level of interest I'll talk to the team about maybe running the review online earlier. No promises, mind!

A

Anonymous

Everyone's excited about the new Cyrus CD8SE. The CD6SE has been described as 'astonishing', so the CD8SE, with a premium price, must be 'out of this world'?

A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:I have to admit that Im excited about the new 8se...as soon as I get to hear it....damn back order...and damn waiting in Canada for the shipment!!!

I am for you Mike.....
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry Mike, I bought Cyrus stuff when I first decided to buy a hifi purely on the strength of reviews in this magazine. Biggest hi fi mistake ever, couldn't believe it when I actually listened to what was available at similar cost!
I find Cyrus stuff completely soulless...
(I still use my cyrus CDP in my bedroom, although I tend to use either my turntable or ipod in preference...)

A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:I have to admit that Im excited about the new 8se...as soon as I get to hear it....damn back order...and damn waiting in Canada for the shipment!!!

I think you're quite rightly excited about this new box. In theory it should be the last CDP you ever buy.

With respect to the alleged glitches, I can understand the frustration people are having but I'm pretty excited that a UK-based firm has been innovative enough to design and produce this unit. The UK seems to be on a curve of losing it's world-class businesses and innovation so we should support those that are left and trying to take on global competition. I don't want to completely change the topic of this thread but part of the reason I bought the Spendor SA1s was because it was supporting a UK company. But hey, I understand other's views on this topic to.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Mike_Schmidt:Come on Thaiman give some love!

I have plenty of love to go round Mike....so here she is, Courtney hereself

Cyrus's fan are die hard type and I can only admire that, I hope the new line will be the world beater that has everything from timing, resolution and look. The last three released didn't rock my world with the slightly safe sound but at least the last incarnation are not too bright any more. I am sure will be listening and reading about the singing shoe box.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
As of 4.30pm tonight I should be taking home (to borrow for the weekend) a CD6SE, CD8SE & 8VS2, from the kind souls at my local Sevenoaks. As I live near Plymouth they are my only dealer within 30 miles.

I am hoping to spend the whole weekend comparing them to my Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD & Amp combo. I will let you know the outcome.

I am already scared that I will immediately feel the need to also upgrade my speakers
emotion-7.gif

Any requests for the type of music you would like me test them with?

A

Anonymous

The CD6SE was reviewed to be able to handle any kind of music superbly, so you should do the same with the CD8SE - so play any kind of music you can find on it. I would be interested to see how much better the CD8SE is compared to the CD6SE.

I await the outcome of your review.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Just off to fetch my little boxes of goodness now! I will try to post 1st impressions later tonight and then give them a thorough listen tomorrow.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
OK, first impressions. I think the CD6SE has not been played very much as it sounds a bit harsh compared to the A3.2. Cyrus recommend at least 3 days! I will leave everything running for a few hours before making any judgements.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
OK, so far the CD6SE & 8SE are both warming up. They have lost their harshness but still retained the amazingly controlled and solid bass. They more control then my A3.2CD, that's for sure, but that does not make them more musical. At the moment I cannot hear much between the 6SE & the 8SE, but I suspect that they are too 'cold' still and that my speakers are the limiting factor. The 8SE is just a touch warmer and fuller (which i prefer).

They both have incredible detail and control, but at the moment I am finding them just slightly tiring compared to my A3.2. I certainly do not envy the WHF team as I am getting a headache from trying to hear the differences.

They have not 'grabbed' me in the way that upgrading from my Marantz CD63 to the MF A3.2 did, so at present I am not usre that I could justify spending £800 - £1100 to achieve a different sound.

I must repeat though that I think they need far more running in and as such I may reserve judgement, return them to the kind folks at Sevenoaks in Plymouth, and review them again a few months, when I know they have been fully warmed up.

BTW I have given up the on 8VS2 amp as it is just too harsh, so all these tests have been done using my MF 3.2 amp.

I hope that helps a bit, and if I had never bought the MF3.2 I would DEFINITELY buy the CD6SE or maybe even the CD8SE as they are both brilliant - just different to my MF A3.2 set up.

A

Anonymous

Xanderzdad:
I am getting a headache from trying to hear the differences.

Stop 'trying' to hear differences, if they aren't obvious then don't worry about it.
I stopped listening for differences and started just listening to music as a whole when auditioning kit, seeing which kit made more musical sense, not things like soundstage, depth, inky blacks, taught bass etc etc etc...

A

Anonymous

I heard the 8SE up against the 8X yesterday and was impressed. This may be a prob with the demo 8SE model I was listening to, but each disc wouldn't read first time, just displayed "disc error". When the disc was ejected and popped back in, it played OK (although it did take a while to read the disc). This happened with 3 discs, so wasn't a one off problem with a disc.

I will be returning my 8X for upgrade to SE as have been offered a bit of a deal, but would probably do so at full price based on the demo.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
BigGuads:Xanderzdad:
I am getting a headache from trying to hear the differences.

Stop 'trying' to hear differences, if they aren't obvious then don't worry about it.

You are quite right - and that is exactly why I think I have just saved £1100. I cannot hear enough difference between the Cyrus and my MF A3.2 to justify spending any money.

It has been a fascinating experience and as I said before I do not envy the WHF team at all. The Cyrus is certainly 'faster' and 'tauter' but that does not actually translate into more musical, from my point of view. It also proves the point that you need to hear it for yourself. Everybody has different ideas of what sounds best.

Having said all that if I had not spent about £5,000 already on Hi-Fi and was starting from scratch I would buy the CD6SE as it sounds great and has continued to improve as I listened (I suspect it still needs days more warming up!). It is also upgradeable which is a big plus.

I may do the same test again in a few months when I know the Cyrus gear has been really run in.

I may also try to borrow some really good speakers, as I wonder if my Monitor Audios are letting me down. Mind you I thought that about my MF gear and that has proven to be up there with the best! Any opinions on whether my speakers could be improved.

jubair

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
i have been running in the cyrus cd6se, 8vs2, MA rs6 all together for the last month and there has been a huge improvement in sound over that period. i'm not sure which part of my system is improving, perhaps all, or it could just be my ears adapting to the sound. either way i'm now a satisfied customer. i wonder if anyone has reported any problems on cd6se, mine has worked fine. you'd think both machines would be similarly affected as they have the same trasnport.

i think if i upgrade in the future it will be with the speakers because i think i'd have to spend a lot of cash to improve on cd player and amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts