Is a smartphone a credible hi-fi source?

SteveR750

Define "hi fi"

As a source of music and this enjoyment yes. I use mine when travelling abroad a lot thanks to Spotify premium and it is for the most part excellent give it is "just" a phone.

D

Deleted member 2457

BenLaw said:
gel said:

:grin:

I like this level of debate :)

smiley-laughing.gif

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Freq. response of device == 20 to 20k, freq. response of MP3 not as good, viability of lossless still in flux. Perhaps when lossless becomes more common the totality of what's in a Dragonfly or Headstreamer will be chipped and put into PMP's.

daveh75

Smartphones/tablets, yes.

And i'm gonna get shot down for this, but headphones no!!

Simply because i find headphones an irriatating and uncomfortable experiance and i can't abide the 'in the head' sound.

My HP100s are the only phones i've found that don't make me wan't to throw them up the wall after 10 mins use, but even then after about an hour i'm done.

So for me headphones will only ever be a last resort.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Biggerboat said:
Yes, of course it is. Arrogant much?

I enjoy using an iPhone as a source, wirelessly using AirPlay through my M-CR603. (Actually as a major source given the percentage of playing time.)

However, despite enjoying the sound, convenience, lack of wires, user interface etc. I can't really comment on whether it's 'credible hi-fi' (or not) as I can't even claim that my system has any 'audiophile' credentials to begin with. (It's an excellent sub £500 'all-in-one' mini system, and no more, when all is said and done.)

I have often read very passionate opinions expressed here (and elsewhere) that smartphones can/can't be 'serious' sources due to various reasons (including compression, cheap internal components etc.).

It doesn't bother me, because I like my system used this way, whether someone else counts it as 'hi-fi' or not*, but I wanted to get the opinions - pro or anti - from those who take these things a lot more seriously.

*I compound my sins even more by actually liking iTunes and having no desire to try anything else. It may 'lock me in' to some extent but I am a willing prisoner :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I enjoy using an iPhone as a source, wirelessly using AirPlay through my M-CR603. (Actually as a major source given the percentage of playing time.)

As it's sending a bit perfect digital stream to the M-CR603 DAC then it is a 100% credible hifi source. Enjoy.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
idc said:
So, is anyone expecting a tap on the shoulder as you sit on a bus with your smart phone and leakless headphones, to be told "that is not a credible source"?

I'm now dying for precisely this to be reported here soon!

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
Biggerboat said:
Yes, of course it is. Arrogant much?

However, despite enjoying the sound, convenience, lack of wires, user interface etc. I can't really comment on whether it's 'credible hi-fi' (or not) as I can't even claim that my system has any 'audiophile' credentials to begin with. (It's an excellent sub £500 'all-in-one' mini system, and no more, when all is said and done.)

I have often read very passionate opinions expressed here (and elsewhere) that smartphones can/can't be 'serious' sources due to various reasons (including compression, cheap internal components etc.).

It doesn't bother me, because I like my system used this way, whether someone else counts it as 'hi-fi' or not*, but I wanted to get the opinions - pro or anti - from those who take these things a lot more seriously.

*I compound my sins even more by actually liking iTunes and having no desire to try anything else. It may 'lock me in' to some extent but I am a willing prisoner :)

No, that's all fine and drandy - apologies, I think I misconstrued the angle you were coming from, given your previous response in the other smartphone audio thread....

Yep - as long as you enjoy your music, who the feck cares? At the end of the day, the music (or indeed whatever else you play) is the whole point. Lose sight of that and you can end up on a very slippery slope....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWXmtDNrpmk&feature=fvwrel

This film is a few years old now, but I love it - a gentle study of insanity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs1aUws0Lrs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts