Is 5-stars enough?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
unconditional:Is there an emotional aspect thats worth mere $$ to "get right" or is it a product like a dishwasher that comes down to paper specs and bang-for-buck?

Leaving aside the concept of bang-for-buck in the context of a dishwasher, I guess it all depends on whether you want to listen to your system, or measure it.

A

Anonymous

unconditional:
Del Smith:Fine if people are willing to pay an extra 20% to assess an item but personally I think that's just too much, and they've lost a sale and possibly future items I will purchase which I would say will be a fair amount over the next couple of years. I wonder how many people have test driven a car and paid 20% for the privolage.

you can order a new car at big discount, too. you won't be offered a test drive but you will get a good price. If the car had 5 star reviews but you find there's something you don't like about it... tough.

The question is, how important is your audio equipment to you? How much do you want to have the right sound? Is there an emotional aspect thats worth mere $$ to "get right" or is it a product like a dishwasher that comes down to paper specs and bang-for-buck?

Must be have a go at Del day.

Why is it that I praise a system that works great for me and get grief about it.
I haven't suggested that Ive used a shop for their demo time then purchased it elsewhere, I wouldn't do that and didn't, I said it is difficult in my area. But why is it to try things before you buy you must pay for it?
In the past I gave free quotes for electrical work that used up my time and money to often find I didn't get the work. That's business.
Regarding my equipment I value it a great deal and research before buying, and for WHF to give 5 stars on a £1500 receiver then you know it's going to be good, because if it wasn't their reviews would be worthless.
Going back to the car issue, I have had that very situation. As I have a company car there was a short list of cars I could choose from and had a look around various showrooms, I could have test drove cars in all of them but didn't because I wasn't going to buy them, the car was from a lease company, yes indeed tough if I didn't like it, thank goodness for what car.
Clearly you are saying I only buy if it has the most stars and have no idea what great AV is.

A

Anonymous

Del Smith:Must be have a go at Del day.

Nowt' personal old chap. You questioned the merit of paying the +20% for a personal demo over star charts and online sales, I'm trying to answer it.

Del Smith:Why is it that I praise a system that works great for me and get grief about it.
I haven't suggested that Ive used a shop for their demo time then purchased it elsewhere, I wouldn't do that and didn't, I said it is difficult in my area. But why is it to try things before you buy you must pay for it?
In the past I gave free quotes for electrical work that used up my time and money to often find I didn't get the work. That's business.

Hmm, I'm an electrician myself, and like you, prove free no obligation quotations. Part of the way the business works I'm afraid. But if you've spent any time in the trade, I'm sure you've quoted for work after being recommended on merit, only to lose the job on price, only for the client to call you back to sort out the pityfull mess the guys who won't returns calls did for that price...

Del Smith:Regarding my equipment I value it a great deal and research before buying, and for WHF to give 5 stars on a £1500 receiver then you know it's going to be good, because if it wasn't their reviews would be worthless.
Going back to the car issue, I have had that very situation. As I have a company car there was a short list of cars I could choose from and had a look around various showrooms, I could have test drove cars in all of them but didn't because I wasn't going to buy them, the car was from a lease company, yes indeed tough if I didn't like it, thank goodness for what car.
Clearly you are saying I only buy if it has the most stars and have no idea what great AV is.

No, I'm saying all the stars do is give a rough indication of what the reviewer felt. And as we're on cars, ever wondered why fiats always always win "european car of the year" with
everyone gushing about how great they are, just before they start falling to bits like all their predecessors did. I did actually wonder this, then one day I read Jeremy Clarksons explanation of this strange phenomonum. When fiat launch a new car, they do it "big"; most (but not all) motoring journalists are flown 1st class to Marinello, given a ferrari to thrash round the track, given free lunch, hotel, ferrari merch, etc etc and then given the all-new fiat to review, while they can think about whether they'll be invited back next year.

Now I'm not saying that every reviewer is jaded and bought, only that reviews should be no more than suggestions, one resourse pool at your disposal.

Perhaps the premium you pay for dealer service should be looked at in the same way you pay a percentage of your electronics cost for cabling... You could hook your speakers up with bell wire, but you're just not gonna get the best out of them...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Fiat must be slipping a bit these days, then:
In the past ten years Fiat have only won twice, although Alfa have also won once, but Renault and Toyota have also each won ECOTY twice, and Ford, Peugeot and Opel/Vauxhall once.

Clarkson in sweeping generalisation shock horror...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:All in good time.... We'll run a full news story plus flag it on the Forums, so you won't miss it.

OK, I''ll hold my breath and wait for it with eager anticipation. :)

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Big Chris:But then how do I read it on the loo?

This seems made - and indeed named - for the task...

Eeewwwwww. Reading WHF in the loo? What next? Posting on the WHF Forums from the loo? :)

TRENDING THREADS