ipod to hi-fi connection - one more time please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if this has been done to death (and direct me to the thread if it has). I'm currently connecting my ipod touch to my Arcam Solo Mini via an iChord which goes from the headphone socket on the ipod to 2 RCA at the Arcam end. Sounds okay but volume is much lower than when playing a CD and I have to add 50% or more volume on the Arcam to get a decent listening volume from the ipod. So:

1.) Will using a connector which comes from the ipod's dock connection (such as the Russ Andrews GQ-24) cure this 'unequal' volume problem?

2.) Does a connector which comes from the ipod's dock connection (as with the GQ-24) give a better quality sound than one that comes out of the ipod's headphone socket (such as my iChord)? (if so, makes you wonder why Apple doesn't just make the headphones connect to this?!)

and finally

3.) I also use the ipod in my car currently with a standard £7.99 type 3.5mm-3.5mm lead. Is something like the GQ-24 likely to give me a noticeable difference in sound quality over the standard cable when played through a standard BMW speaker system . . . or would I not notice any difference?

idc

Hi Jarnesque.

1 - Yes, the GQ-24 bypasses the ipods volume control so it is worked purely from the amp.

2 - Yes and that is from Apple themselves, the mini jack option (which is available for the GQ-24) is only there to offer other connection options.

3 - I assume that the the BMW system has a minjack and you could use the GQ to connect it that way, as to the sound I would assume it is better than other minijack connectors. If you want this primarily for the car then the GQ-24 with mini jack seems like the way to go.

A

Anonymous

I recently received my GQ-24 and the volume is still slightly lower than CD or Vinyl but no where near as much as other ipod connections I've tried and this is more than made up for in sound which is superb - nothing else I've tried comes close (haven't tried the amplified type so can't compare).

idc

Yes, the ipod outputs as much as a CDP. The volume control on the Musical Fidelity amp is in the same postion after the switch from an Arcam CD62 to the ipod.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts