iPod to amp or external DAC

I have the ability to connect my iPod directly to a line-in on my amplifier using a Russ Andrews GQ24 cable.

I also have an external DAC.

Is there any benefit to be had in the way of sound quality in taking the connection thru the DAC rather than directly to amp?

Ok realise that is a possibility but 'scuse my ignorance but what exactly does the Russ Andrews cable take in the way of a signal from the iPod? It connects to exacly where a dock would. Does it not carry a digital signal from the iPod?

Perhaps it carries an analogue only signal from the iPod, I do not know.

If that is the case how exactly does something like the Onkyo ND-S1 dock get a digital signal from the same port on th iPod??

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Alears:
Ok realise that is a possibility but 'scuse my ignorance but what exactly does the Russ Andrews cable take in the way of a signal from the iPod? It connects to exacly where a dock would. Does it not carry a digital signal from the iPod?

No. The GQ-24 is simply an analogue connector (which is why you connect it to an analogue input on your amp) so all the conversion duties are carried out by the built-in iPod DAC.

The Onkyo ND-S1 allows the proprietary iPod digital signal to to be output to your DAC (whereas a simple Apple iPod -> USB connector would not work).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Alears:Is there any benefit to be had by using an optical cable?

That's a whole other debate and can be cheaply proved to your own taste given how little an optical cable costs.

I use optical, coax and USB - from my digital sources to my DAC - because I have to. (I need all three).

nads

Alears:
Gotcha Chebby

Doh!

The Onkyo it is then - presumably this is best connected to the DAC with a good quality digital 'phono cable?

no Phono cables. you are sending a digital signal so either an optical or Coax digital cable.

Phono cables from DAC to AMP yes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts