iPod Speaker Systems - B&W / Bose / Roth Audio MC4 / Intempo IFI01 iPod Tower

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Okay, this is my situation, i had seperates for years and years, however my new 160GIG iPod is too good to be used as a travel companion, therefor i'm going to use this as my hi-fi unit. I need to know what the best speakers are, and whether its better to just buy seperates and plugging the iPod into a dock? I bought the Intempo IFI01 Tower and am pleased with it so much that i want to buy a better unit, therefor im pretty much tied between a Roth Audio MC4 or B&W Zeppelin? Or am i better buying seperates? How to the speakers compare to hi-fi? most of my stuff is at 320kbps!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, the B&W Zeppelin is excellent by the standard of its class, but you are paying a style/convenience premium.

Good separates plus dock will sound better than an all-in-one - you could get a great little set-up for around £500.

Want to pay a little less? For around £350 you could buy a class-leading micro system (think Onkyo CS-515 with upgrade speakers such as Tannoy Mercury F1s or Mordaunt Short Avant 902i) and a dock. That would beat an iPod all-in-one, too.

But whatever you buy, you'll get more from the system if you can bear to go back and rip your tunes in Apple Lossless or uncompressed WAV format - make the most of that 160GB space!

A

Anonymous

i'm have a lot of music though, at the moment about 80gig at 320kbps, h owever i fancy a better sounding kit. whats the best way of connecting hte ipod to a seperates system? isn't the roth seperates anyway?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the Roth is (ish) separates - essentially a valve amp with a dock. But again, you're paying a slight premium for the design element. If you're fine with that, great!

Re connecting an iPod to a separates system - all the main manufacturers offer dedicated hi-fi docks that give you full control and charging of your player via the amp/system remote control.

We've been typically impressed by all we've seen/heard so far - Arcam's r-Dock being the very best sonically, and a great companion to its Solo systems - so it's best to hear some separates in actiion along with their matching dock and see what you think!

A

Anonymous

I filled an iPod with Lossless tracks and connected it to HiFi separates using a line out lead - below - it sounds excellent.

88020.jpg

A

Anonymous

a quick question re the Intempo IFI01 Tower . How good is it actually? Seriously thinking about investing in one, although most of the music on my classic 80gb is mixed bit rate....vbr, 128, 196, 320 etc etc. How noticeable would all this be, considering also thag I dont have an ear for music, just like loud g£itar and crunching beats

ahem....Thanks

A

Anonymous

to be honest i thought it was better than all the other 'ipod dock systems' and thought it was MUCH better than the Bose sounddock. It's because the quality is so good that it thought i would upgrade to a better system, but it seems much to complicated. I would love to see it reviewed on this site comparing the tower to the Bose & B&W, i think its often ignored by magazines/websites, probaly because it doesn't come from a premium manafacturer which is a pity because we're all on here for the best sounded product. To reiterate i think the quality is far superiour to the Bose, not to sure about the B&W cause i only heard that today in John Lewis.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts