iPod in car with Fiio E11

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't really posted in this section before, but I've just managed to installl an "Aux" input into the stereo system in my car, so that I could get a hard-wirde connection for my ipod (I got fed up with the awful fm transmitter solutions that are available - why do they bother?).

Anyway, managed via various car forums, to swap in-boot radio unit (bm54) to get the version that has potential for aux input, and by the end of Saturday had ipod music coming out of the stereo - hooray!

However, the volume is significantly lower than the radio or CD, even when the ipod source is at full volume. Big problem when switching between sources and potentially distracting on the move.

So more trawling on the interweb, and I've plumped for a Fiio portable headphone amp solution, in two parts - Fiio E11 plus a line out cable from the bottom (non-headphone) big connector output. to put between the ipod and the aux input.

There don't seem to be any reviews here of the Fiio E11 - so hopefully my feedback (when I get it) will help others in similar situation.

I should get the Fiio in a couple of days, so fingers crossed.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just received my Fiio E11, plus a dock to 3.5mm jack connector, as this was recommended for getting best sound.

First impressions are very favourable. The Fiio E11 is an extremely neat and compact headphone amp, with Lo/Hi Gain positions, and three EQ positions (different bass adjustments).

Firstly, the unit does a great job with boosting the volume level - now I can adjust so that all my in-car music sources have the same level (no shattered eardrums when switching back to CD or radio).

Secondly, and I also checked this out with a pair of B&W C5 in-ear headphones, the quality of the music is improved with the dock connector plus E11. The combination allowed greater clarity in the different instruments, and better bass definition, versus headphone output alone).

Fingers crossed for battery life, though it's a USB rechargeable phone battery which should give about 11 hours - enough to avoid being a problem, I hope.

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I am also looking to improve the quality of sound from my ipod and rectify the volume issue noted by dandy. I currently use the headphone socket from my ipod connected to the 'aux in' on my car stereo (3.5mm-3.5mm). I was about to buy the russ andrews GQ-24 interconnect to connect the base of my ipod to the 3.5mm aux. Soundwise, would I be better off getting the 2 phono version and getting a 2 phono to 3.5mm adaptor. However, the headphone amp also sound an interesting solution. Any advice greatly welcomed.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
You could try the Fiio L3 line-out dock, which has a thicker cable than the L1. I tried an L3 with a E5 amp, from my daughter's ipod Nano, into the Aux input of my BMW, and the sound quality was considerably improved, together with the volume. Am hoping that Santa's checking my wishlist for this combination.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts