iPod centric new system help

Iainbeale

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi I was looking for some advice... I know but please help as I'm really struggling to get my head around all this.

My main aim is for a compact system to play digital lossless files. Preferably from I tunes iPod and iPhone. I would like to use airplay tho this isn't the be all end all.

I should also mention I'm not looking to spend a fortune. Hopefully have change from £500.

In the future (when I can afford it) I want to add a project elemental to the system so I need an amp to allow this.

I have read too much probably and got myself confused with regards to Dac and docks for the best possible sound quality.

Most of my collection is set as apple lossless format.

Also I do most of my listening in the kitchen so I'm looking for speakers that would work on top of my units. If this is a major problem my wife is quite understanding and may allow some lower wall mounted speakers.

I like the look of the q acoustics 2010i and the amptastic mini-1. Again I'm unsure if this is a suitable combo.

Thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
Consider something like

a Pure i-20 with Monkey Banana Turbo 5 speakers. The speakers come in a range of colours.

Alternatively, get an Airport Express if your iPods are wireless and plug straight into a pair of suitable actives at your budget, Genelec have a range of stylish, if pricey speakers.

+1.

An Airport Express and a pair of active monitors is probably the way forward here, no need for a separate dac at this stage.

A pair of Presonus Eris 5 and an AEX can be had for about £300, the colourful Monkey Banana models a bit more. Loads of choice, try the folowing links. Be aware that many studio active speakers are priced singly, not always in pairs.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html

http://www.studiospares.com/headphones+speakers/studio-monitors/icat/heastudiomonitors

Iainbeale

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info

I hadn't considered the airport express it seems like a decent option. Do you know if the audio quality stays lossless or is it down-sampled through the air. Or through the audio jack, will I need a DAC?

If that's the case I might be better off with the pure dock.

I have also been looking at the q acoustics BT3 with Bluetooth connectivity which is quite cool.

Do you know which option will give the best sounds? I assume both will be able to plug and play from a turn table.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The Airport Express already has a DAC inside, which is quite decent. So you don't need an external DAC to start. But the jack output doubles as a mini-toslink connection, so you can always connect an external DAC later on if you feel like upgrading. I would recommend to get a second-hand, first-generation 802.11n model—this is wall-plugged. According to reviews, it has less jitter than the latest model, and the DAC it has is better than the previous one.

I also own a pair of BT3 speakers, and recommend them. Their sound is very neutral and their frequency range does not reach very low—but what they do, they do it nicely. Not the most detailed sound, but really pleasant to listen at with any type of music. They are very convenient and decently priced for what they are, and since they have an optical input you could connect them digitally to the Airport Express. Or just use Bluetooth, which they also do well.

I just couldn't tell you if the BT3 would be better for the money than the other recommendations in this thread, which are very sound. It really depends on the functionalities and the type of sound that you are looking for.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Iainbeale said:
Thanks for the info

I hadn't considered the airport express it seems like a decent option. Do you know if the audio quality stays lossless or is it down-sampled through the air. Or through the audio jack, will I need a DAC?

If that's the case I might be better off with the pure dock.

I have also been looking at the q acoustics BT3 with Bluetooth connectivity which is quite cool.

Do you know which option will give the best sounds? I assume both will be able to plug and play from a turn table.

Ahhhh. Did not see the requirement for a turntable, that changes everything.

Turntables and Airplay streaming are not easy bed fellows. You will need a phono stage whatever you do and separate ones are not cheap. Your best bet might be something like a an Onkyo TX 8050 at £400, which has everything bar Airplay, but it does have a usb input for your iThings.

In this case it depends on the functionality you want, getting a phono stage, Airplay, network connections and a nice control interface is not easy at that budget.

The BT3 is a nice enough product except that Bluetooth is poorly implemented in iThings, NIH syndrome from Apple, I think.

Iainbeale

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to build a more traditional hifi. I've ordered a pure i20 and a pair of Q 2020i speakers. I'm now looking at a project debut turntable and a low cost preferably pre owned amp. Do I meed anything else? Can anyone recommend a budget amp. I'm looking at a cbridge audio 340a.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Iainbeale said:
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to build a more traditional hifi. I've ordered a pure i20 and a pair of Q 2020i speakers. I'm now looking at a project debut turntable and a low cost preferably pre owned amp. Do I meed anything else? Can anyone recommend a budget amp. I'm looking at a cbridge audio 340a.

Buy one with a phono stage and add an Airport Express at a later date. If you do not want to connect to your network, try and get one with a usb input so you can use your iThings wired.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts